Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2015, 12:15 PM   #1

Smile Entegra Quality Issues

Hello fellow owners,
I am looking for insight as to our Entegra experience. We purchased a new 2013 Aspire about 18 months ago after touring both the Entegra and Newmar factory. We truly believed we purchased a superior coach however it has spent most of its life in a service bay. This is our 3rd RV so we expected several "bugs" to work out but it seems to me our problems have been excessive. I am interested in other Entegra owner's opinions. Here is a list of the major issues we have experienced:
1) Upon delivery the driver side slide out leaked & collected water which dumped on the drivers head. Ultimately it had to be taken to the factory for fix
2) Driver side window leak (3 service visits to fix)
3) Electric step motor had to be replaced after our second trip
4) Aqua Hot System leak, luckily this issue was only a bad clamp
5) High pitched whistle at speed under driver side dash (4 visits)
6) On first trip, air bags didn't fill (gauges indicated ok but very rough ride & we didn't know better - first diesel bus). Spartan said get to service center which was hours away. Ultimately we stopped, lowered & retracted levelers and bags filled. Now we check for at least fist height above tire every time.
7) One leveler doesn't always retract completely. Just need to check it.
8) Leak around outside entertainment door, TV had to be replaced.
9) Bracket of several overhead doors pulled out of wood cabinet.
10) Rear DVD player had to be replaced.
11) Suspension "clunk" in turns. Spartan initially said issue was weak weld on generator frame so we took to Entegra factory. Turned out to be an issue with front suspension.

These are the big ones I recall. I want to point out that Entegra has been very good about resolving these issues. It is just frustrating that we seem to be their quality control with us having to take the time to get the repairs done. Recently service calls have become a bit easier to deal with since Entegra allows Buddy Gregg in Knoxville to hand service work (rather than where we purchased the coach). Buddy Gregg has gone out of their way to help us and I highly recommend them! We are about to head out on our next long trip with a certain level of trepidation. I would love to keep my Entegra but am tired of dropping it off for service after every trip. I'm interested in some perspective from other diesel RV owners whether this level of "break in" is typical or not. Right now feeling like Newmar may have been a better choice. Sorry for the long post but there was a lot of information to share. Any perspective or words of encouragement would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Terribeck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. We have a lot of Entegra Owners here who will be along shortly to answer your questions. Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #3

I am on my 7th and hopefully last motorhome. My 14 Aspire is all I ever wanted in a coach. I have had Newmar, Tiffin, Gulfstream ect. Nothing has ever had the Quality of Entegra. I will have it a year in May and almost no issues. Sorry you had to get one with so many problems. That is not the norm. Good luck in getting your coach roadworthy!!
MS DELTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 12:47 PM   #4

No real issues on our 2013 Aspire with about 20,000 miles on the coach. Everything that we did find was addressed and taken care of with no hassles.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you'll get lots of responses. Some will be enthusiastically loyal Entegra owners who say you are too picky, some will be from other brand owners telling you that Entegras are junk and some responses by owners will actually be useful.

I'll give you my perspective which probably doesn't fit in any of the above categories because I don't own an Entegra (at least not yet).

First of all, I think you did make the right choice. I do road tests and reviews for a number of RV magazines and spend time looking over how things are built. Personally, I feel that Entegra is the best built motorhome in its class, skipping of course the much more expensive products that are in a class by themselves. I also feel that you have the best company standing behind that product and you won't find anyone better in that regard.

As to your issues - I se a number of things and they all have different reasons.

For one, Entegra went through a management change and you hit the worst time. While engineering and design were good, they did have some quality control issues, although it was spotty and not across the board. Fortunately this was corrected and Tadd Jenkins was brought in to head up Jayco's entire motorized division. He assembled a team of talented individuals to head up the various departments and quality control went from lacking to superlative. The current outflow from Entegra is of excellent quality. Not that this helps you with your 2013 but Entegra's service is also top notch and they won't let you sit so you'll be taken care of and this will all be a distant memory in a bit.

Some of the issues are common to every brand and you just have to expect this. It's mainly due to third party components. Your electric step motor is the same used on a Newmar or other brand so it could fail on any coach. A bad DVD player, suspension clunk, leveling jack and other items are also third party components. Many of these failures can't be predicted but at least you have Entegra taking care of you and correcting them. Some other manufacturers just sit around and stare at the calendar hoping the warranty will be up so that they can wash their hands of it. Not with Entegra.

You had a couple of window/door leaks. That is attributable to Entegra but again, that was something more common back then before QC was up to the level it is today. Again, Entegra will take care of it and you'll soon be rid of those issues.

I've seen numerous brands that require quite a bit of debug time before the coach gets right. It can take a year or two, depending on the brand and which day of the week it was built. Newmar is a good coach but I don't think that you made a bad choice by staying with Entegra.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #6

Thank you so much Cruzer for your response. Interestingly it was your review of the Anthem & Cornerstone that led us to choose Entegra over Newmar, it was a great article. My husband refers to your website often. Your perspective reaffirms that we shouldn't start this process over with a new Newmar but in light of our bad timing, it does make us wonder whether we should trade this one in while it still has value and go with a newer model with better QC. Maybe this is a conversation we should have with Entegra since we are nearing the end of our 2 year warranty. We really do appreciate your response, thanks again! Very helpful info.
Terribeck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:51 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terribeck01 View Post
Thank you so much Cruzer for your response. Interestingly it was your review of the Anthem & Cornerstone that led us to choose Entegra over Newmar, it was a great article. My husband refers to your website often. Your perspective reaffirms that we shouldn't start this process over with a new Newmar but in light of our bad timing, it does make us wonder whether we should trade this one in while it still has value and go with a newer model with better QC. Maybe this is a conversation we should have with Entegra since we are nearing the end of our 2 year warranty. We really do appreciate your response, thanks again! Very helpful info.

X2, thanks Cruzer!
50sbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
X3 on what Cruzer said.
Let me add that all of your problems seem pretty fixable and once fixed, should not return. You own a quality coach with good "bones". It's just that when you purchased your coach, quality control's critical eye was allowing to many things out the door. I really believe that you will end up with a great coach, I'm just sorry you are having to work so hard to get it!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 03:27 PM   #9

We traded our 13 Anthem for a 15 Cornerstone. After spending the last two months in it we have found only 4 small items. A leak in a clamp in the bathroom vanity and a couple of insignificant other items. Entegra jumped right on the leak, sent a mobile repairman out and he fixed it very quickly. We will have the small items fixed as time permits as they are cosmetic only. Bottom line, the new quality control appears to be working extremely well and we are thrilled with our Cornerstone. All just our experience and JMHO.😊🚌🚗
Old 03-03-2015, 04:23 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Cruzer pretty much said it like it was and is now.

I have "been there done that" of what you are going through. Most of the problems have been worked though. although it is coming on a year. There are a lot of posts here addressing many of the problems you have experienced with some fairly easy fixes...many with photos. I am not giving up until I have a coach as good as the new one's being delivered. I know how frustrating it is, but hopefully it will all be fixable and Entegra has bent over backwards to say they are "sorry" that I was caught in a bad management situation. I know what you are going through and you do have my sympathy. I have two more scheduled repairs this week. I have decided after this past year, we will take a long trip this summer and if the problems are still there, We will move on. I know we both wish we were in the 98% bracket that received great coaches...it's all there, just needs to be put in the right places correctly. Thankfully Entegra has dialed the QC in, we just came up a year short. I still like my coach and not giving up yet, but I am being truthful.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
We bought our 12 used and have had a pretty problem free few months so far. The biggest difference we've found in this coach is the cold weather performance. I don't know how cold it would have to be to be an issue, but 4 degrees is easy. Good luck getting things worked out and enjoy a great coach.
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #12

Cruzer has mentioned Entegra the best built in the price range with Newmar being just good. What are the various items that make Entegra the best and Newmar rated as only good? Not trying to start a battle but looking for specific examples of items to look for. If someone says Spartan vs Freightliner, I would prefer the specific differences that set's one over the other. Is it toilets, electrical, wood, paint etc....I will now duct my head. PS both brands are on my very short list.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:03 PM   #13

Sorry about your problems - hope they are squared away soon. I know it can be frustrating - I would be frustrated with the things that you mentioned too.

My perspective. Got my 2015 Cornerstone 6 months ago. I live in mine half-time; every-other-week as I work out of town. So 3 months of full-time living as well as numerous trips with the family unit, 4,200 miles. Mine has been used/lived in more than is typical. No unusual problems, just a few things that were quickly tended to by Entegra CS, either by sending me the replacement part or by sending a mobile tech. Realize that I live in the boonies. Some of the problems, like the failed AquaHot pump and a failed automatic transfer switch, while inconvenient, can hardly be attributed to Entegra QC.

I had many more QC gripes with my previous coach. And the CS wasn't near as good IMHO.

The list of things I have for my PDI visit in November is darn small at this point.

I would divide your problems into two parts: Entegra stuff (slide, window leaks, cabinet brackets) & non Entegra stuff (such as Step motor, Aquahot, DVD player, Air Bags).
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Third coach - We consider ourselves incredibly lucky. We've had a few issues, but the difference is in the response of the manufacturer. We feel as if we're part of a family - and it isn't just happy talk. Tadd, Joyce and their staff go over the top to deal with issues. Even when I've had self-inflicted issues, the help is the same.

Our warranty is up mid-month. It will be interesting to see how/if things change. We've got our coach just the way we love it and really can't see the need for an upgrade I imagine if I were in the same place as the OP, I would consider it, but I still wouldn't switch mfrs.

I know Newmar is a great mfr as well - we are just too happy where we are.

Cruzer's comments are right on as usual.

Tags
quality