Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Here's the shot of the overhead cabinet with the Winegard Roadtrip Mission switch. It's from a 2013 44U Aspire but should be the same for an Anthem. The controller for aTrav'ler is much larger, a small set-top boc axtually. That will get put into a cabinet with the DVR and other entertainment gear.

Also, when you install a Winegard SK-3005 Trav'Ler you'll be feeding 4 coax cables plus a cat5 data cable down through the roof so it won't be a plug and play with a removed dome. You'll need to run some extra cables. If you use an A/B switch to switch between the SK-3005 and a dome you'll find that your DirecTV DVR will need to be reset from a 5 LNB HD dish to a dual LNB round SD dish. That'll mess up your channel listing when you switch from HD to SD as well as affect your Season Pass list for recordings. When I installed mine I wound up removing the dome to get away from that hassle.

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2012, 01:56 PM   #16

We had a Moto Sat Dish installed on our 2013 Aspire .We get all 3 sat. at one time and HD ,works great.

azbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for responding to my original question.

I have done a fair amount of research and while the dish that Entegra supplies is fine for SD signals, it is very limited in its ability to receive HD. It cannot receive DirecTV HD at all, while it can receive HD on Dish Network but only for ONE receiver. It only sees one satellite at a time and only supplies one antenna wire feed so for Dish HD you cannot use two receivers or any of the DVR's that can record two signals at once or record one signal while viewing another. This is the case with ALL dome dishes. So unless you settle for a single plain-jane receiver on Dish Network, the dome antenna cannot do HD.

To be able to get HD on DirecTV, or to get more than one HD feed on Dish Network you need an OPEN dish. The open dishes have multiple LNB's so they can see several satellites at the same time. Therefore they can work with DirecTV in HD and/or Dish in HD and can provide mulitple feeds for multi-channel recording/viewing on multiple receivers or DVRs. They also do a better job of avoiding rain fade, but they will not work in-motion. The best-known open dish HD antenna is the Winegard Traveller and it has a very good reputation BUT it needs 4 coax wires into the coach which makes the install a bit of a challenge. Another option is the RF Mogul. This is a new company that is an offshoot of another established antenna company. They are the only ones to have an automatic SWM dish: The SWM technology allows the satellite to transmit all DirecTV channels through ONE coax wire so you can use you existing coax. The signal can be split once inside the coach and can go to multiple receivers or DVR's.

I spoke to Tadd Jenkins at Entegra yesterday about this subject. They are aware of it and plan to install Winegard Traveller compatible wiring in their coaches at some time in the future, but he could not tell me when.

By the way, on the subject of in-motion dishes, I have had an in-motion dish for the past 10 years and have never used it to watch TV in motion. It has been useful however, when parked under trees and I could not get a signal. Sometimes by moving a foot or two forward or backward, the dish will lock on, having found a hole between the branches. I don't think this would be easy to do with an open dish.

As for mounting the Winegard Traveller controller, or mounting a DVR, there seems to be a problem. The DVR's are too deep for the cabinets that Entegra has provided. I measured the cabinets in an Anthem last week and found that none of them are more than 11 deep except the one behind the bedroom TV, which is about 12" deep. The problem is that the DVR's from DirecTV and I think also Dish are at least 12" deep and you need at least 1" (2" would be better) behind them for the wires that plug in behind the DVR. Also, none of these cabinets have any ventilation so the heat from the DVR could not escape. I think have devised a way around this but it is is a bit complicated and expensive. If anybody wants the details let me know.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like you have it pretty well researched. I will add though that you can add a SWM-8 to any existing non-SWM dish to convert it to SWM. The SWM-8 is weatherproof. You can mount it on the roof and use that single coax to send feeds down through the roof to your DVR. The SWM-8 receives power via a power inserter that transmits power up via that same coax so the SWM-8 doesn't need any additional connections. You just run four short coax runs between the Trav'ler and SWM-8, then continue on with one single coax run. In my case I had a big enough hole to feed all 4 coax cable through my roof so my SWM-8 is inside, but were that too hard to do I would have mounted it on the roof. Keep in mind that you still need to run the communications data cable between the SK-3005 and it's controller inside the coach.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #19

Know the problem with the cabinets not deep enough. For my dish dvr they cut a piece of the back wall out so it slides back in there and it has worked fine for 18 months.
Cruzer, have you written an article and where can I get it on converting to the Traveler 1000 for Dish network on the Entegra? Would like to switch but there is a limit to how much I am willing to spend to get it done. RVOne quoted me about $3500 to get it done and that sounds really high.
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:29 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I had to do some chopping as well on our Allegro Bus in order to get our DVRs to fit. But that was with the old DVR2 Tivo based units. The newer HR-24 DVRs are smaller and have a bit more room. Still not as small as a receiver though.

I've done my install on our Bus with a DirecTV version (SK-3005) of the Trav'ler. Haven't done dish nor have I done it on an Entegra (yet). I haven't documented it officially yet because that is slated for an upcoming FMC Magazine article but I can still tell you how I did it if you need help. However, that's on an Allegro Bus and I don't yet know all the secret ways to run cables on an Anthem. But, either way, at $3500 that's about 2 grand for labor, which is quite high. If that's the going rate I'm going to start installing them in my driveway.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #21

at that rate Cruzer, you wont get a lot of business I am guessing, including you would not get mine. LOL I am not getting in any hurry as I understand Dish is still studying what they are going to do with the HD channels long run as they will have to replace an old bird or two pretty soon.
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:31 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, I didn't think I'd get any takers at $3500. I'd better stick to my day job.

I think in the long run you'll find Dish going to the KA band birdsfor HD instead of the KU band that they're now using. DirecTV went that way so to better utilize bandwidth and get more channels with more programming and high bandwidth HD coverage. When that happens Dish's satellite switching issues will go away but they'll undoubtedly be using multiple LNB dishes just like DirecTV. With any luck, you can use the same dish (like the SK-3005 Trav'ler) for both Dish and DirecTV and just use the controller menu to select which provider to look for. That would make it easier for everyone - installers, retailers, and end users.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:29 PM   #23

Entegra put a 1 1/2" conduit to the roof on our 2013 Anthem that runs from the roof to the upper media cabinet when I pushed them about adding the wiring for the traveller. When we ordered back in feb I dont think they were aware of he hd issues with Direct. I havent set up the traveller, but my plan is to have both available assuming room on the roof.

As for box sizes, we have the DLQ and the lower cabinet below the screen is deep enough to hold the sat receiver. There is room in the wall behind so i just drilled an access hole and ran the hdmi and sat cables down behind the screen. (Be careful pex water lines back there i assume for the shower). The hdmi cable actually comes up from the bottom so it actually gets longer the lower down you put the receiver and my sat coax cable was tight, but long enough to reach.

Net net, the dvd and switch box are in the upper cabinet and the sat box is in the lower cabinet. My plan is to add a second box also in the lower cabinet with and hdmi switch to toggle between stationary HD and in motion SD. Also connected my USB Hard drive (WD Passport) full of movies to th usb connect on the dvd. Its a smart dvd so you can play VOB files right off the drive, so no need for disks in the RV.

My question is where is the hdmi distribution box? The control box is above the tv, but the hdmi cables route elsewhere. Also has anyone created a wireless connection from the voyager camera system to the bedroom tv so you can use the cameras for security?
Old 11-14-2012, 08:09 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Good information, thanks! Who did you talk to to get the conduit installed? Also, what is your coach number so I can reference your job when I speak with them about it.

By the upper media cabinet do you mean the cabinet above the mid-coach TV? I didn't think there was power in that cabinet. How much space is there behind the wall that the TV is mounted on? 1 inch? 2 inch? More? Trying to figure out how much depth could be gained for a DVR by cutting out the wall. Could you post photos of your installation?

The HDMI distribution splitter is in the basement mounted against the ceiling. It has one HDMI in, and four out, one to each TV.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14
Good information, thanks! Who did you talk to to get the conduit installed? Also, what is your coach number so I can reference your job when I speak with them about it.

By the upper media cabinet do you mean the cabinet above the mid-coach TV? I didn't think there was power in that cabinet. How much space is there behind the wall that the TV is mounted on? 1 inch? 2 inch? More? Trying to figure out how much depth could be gained for a DVR by cutting out the wall. Could you post photos of your installation?

The HDMI distribution splitter is in the basement mounted against the ceiling. It has one HDMI in, and four out, one to each TV.
I spoke to the factory directly, but you may be able to just ask your dealer. Don't know my coach number, sorry.

As for your questions:

1. Upper media cabinet, yes above the screen, 2 wood doors with glass centers. I have 8 power plugs there, quite a lot. TV and boxes all get power there. Plenty of plugs for TV power, dvd, sat boxes and the traveller if that has a 110 plug.
2. The space in the wall from the opening to about 2/3rd's through the screen holds the pocket door. The rest is open, about 3 inches, plenty of room. Problem is where you want to cut, the pocket door is there. This is why I went to the lower cabinet, 2 glass doors. One thing to keep in mind, the lower cabinet has a glass door and if you place the box toward the middle of the coach, you can change channels while moving as its not blocked by the slide.
3. Photos - I won't be near the coach for a couple weeks, sorry.

Thanks for letting me know where the hdmi goes!
Old 11-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #26

We had our in motion dome replaced with the travl'r 1000 in April ....... We love it. We don't have a DVR. The cost for satellite receiver and install was approx $2300.00 at Lazydays in Tampa.

Penny Harlow
2011 Entegra Aspire 40 SKT
Old 11-16-2012, 05:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
Yeah, I had to do some chopping as well on our Allegro Bus in order to get our DVRs to fit. But that was with the old DVR2 Tivo based units. The newer HR-24 DVRs are smaller and have a bit more room. Still not as small as a receiver though.

I've done my install on our Bus with a DirecTV version (SK-3005) of the Trav'ler. Haven't done dish nor have I done it on an Entegra (yet). I haven't documented it officially yet because that is slated for an upcoming FMC Magazine article but I can still tell you how I did it if you need help. However, that's on an Allegro Bus and I don't yet know all the secret ways to run cables on an Anthem. But, either way, at $3500 that's about 2 grand for labor, which is quite high. If that's the going rate I'm going to start installing them in my driveway.
Just picked up our new Anthem about 2 weeks ago at RVone in Orlando and I also wanted the Traveler. On top of the cost of existing dome they want about $3000 grand to replace and put in the traveler. Factory would not change the wiring.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftyroth View Post
Just picked up our new Anthem about 2 weeks ago at RVone in Orlando and I also wanted the Traveler. On top of the cost of existing dome they want about $3000 grand to replace and put in the traveler. Factory would not change the wiring.
Now I know why the service guy in Orlando RV is asking me what I want in a TV approach with my Anthem on order...at $3000/per that's quite a cottage industry on the side...may just have to do without HD from multiple satellites till Direct TV changes to the KA band satellites.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish