Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 10:19 PM   #43

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
Gary - do you find that you can keep up with your hot water needs using the electric side of your aqua hot? I only ask this as you said you don't use the diesel side of the aqua very often.
Temperature is a huge factor in whether or not I need to run the diesel. If the ambient is 80 or more outside my aquahot runs great on electric. If it is 70 out, I have to be fast with the shower, anything less, the diesel is running! Since I spend a lot of time in Florida, I don't use the diesel much.
Gary

2017 Cornerstone(All Sold)
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum View Post
Temperature is a huge factor in whether or not I need to run the diesel. If the ambient is 80 or more outside my aquahot runs great on electric. If it is 70 out, I have to be fast with the shower, anything less, the diesel is running! Since I spend a lot of time in Florida, I don't use the diesel much.
Gary
Your AH even at 55 degrees (outside morning temp)will give you more than enough Hot water for a shower.even At 45 in the AM it heats our 40Ft 4 slide MH fine just fine on 120V .although u cant be heating the inside and using HW (shower)at the same time on 120V

Old 12-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
that is BS. your AH even at 55 degrees (outside morning temp)will give you more than enough Hot water for a shower.even At 45 in the AM it heats our 40Ft 4 slide MH fine just fine on 120V .although u cant be heating the inside and using HW (shower)at the same time on 120V
That's not fair to say! Just because it works for you doesn't mean that it works for everyone. Until you know more about this mans personal needs it isn't fair to be so quick to judge. JMHO
Old 12-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #46

You can not heat the inside and use hot water WITH diesel either, at least not on an Entegra. The hot water takes precedence over the furnace and will shut the furnace down while you are using hot water. Besides, mine will NOT heat water for a really long shower that I like to take, the diesel has to be on to keep the water at the temp I like for the length of time I like to shower. All just my experience and opinion.
Ann n Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
You can not heat the inside and use hot water WITH diesel either, at least not on an Entegra. The hot water takes precedence over the furnace and will shut the furnace down while you are using hot water. Besides, mine will NOT heat water for a really long shower that I like to take, the diesel has to be on to keep the water at the temp I like for the length of time I like to shower. All just my experience and opinion.
the diesel will heat your hot water and supply heat at exactly the same time.There two seperate systems simply using the same heat source?
does not make sence to me they would set it up to shut the furnace off while
heating water? I can see that when its first started and its not up to temperature but then the heaters wont run till its up to to proper boiler temp
Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
That's not fair to say! Just because it works for you doesn't mean that it works for everyone. Until you know more about this mans personal needs it isn't fair to be so quick to judge. JMHO
personal needs? now thats too funny.He said the 120V wont work below 70 degrees and I simply said BS because it,s not true and it does.Nothing to do with so called "personal needs".its not a judgement as u like to say.Its a personal observation by a person whom owns one and has used one in these temperatures.Maybe me and I my wife shower just a tad faster though we have enough water for 2 showers at under 60 degrees outside temp
Old 12-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #49

The HH is set up to give preference to hot water use. The instant it senses a need for hot water all space heating stops....and then resumes when the faucet is turned off, assuming you haven't consumed ALL the heat in the heat exchanger. (Does not apply to Gene....he's still in there showering!!! )

The new Aquahot units have a dual heating element. I don't know much about them, but would think they employ a 120 V. draw off each of the two legs of the 50 amp supply. Sure would love to have one of these...are they in the new Cornerstone?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:16 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
The HH is set up to give preference to hot water use. The instant it senses a need for hot water all space heating stops....and then resumes when the faucet is turned off, assuming you haven't consumed ALL the heat in the heat exchanger. (Does not apply to Gene....he's still in there showering!!! )

The new Aquahot units have a dual heating element. I don't know much about them, but would think they employ a 120 V. draw off each of the two legs of the 50 amp supply. Sure would love to have one of these...are they in the new Cornerstone?
all Iam saying is mine dont work that way i can run heat and hot water at the same time
Old 12-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #51

Repairnut...if yours really does work that way....where does it get all that extra heat? DUAL elements?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:25 AM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut
all Iam saying is mine dont work that way i can run heat and hot water at the same time
Could that be because you appear by profile to have a Tiffin Allegro and your posting on a Jayco forum about an Entegra. Could they possibly be different in some way including how the systems prioritize operations?
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:28 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Repairnut...if yours really does work that way....where does it get all that extra heat? DUAL elements?
the cold water flow is heated seperately from the antifreeze that circulates from the register? the heat exchanger has two seperate fluids flowing through it as i understand it? when on diesel there is no element per say
Old 12-07-2012, 07:30 AM   #54

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvrepairnut View Post
personal needs? now thats too funny.He said the 120V wont work below 70 degrees and I simply said BS because it,s not true and it does.Nothing to do with so called "personal needs".its not a judgement as u like to say.Its a personal observation by a person whom owns one and has used one in these temperatures.Maybe me and I my wife shower just a tad faster though we have enough water for 2 showers at under 60 degrees outside temp
What I said was for my needs, which is long hot showers, the electric element can't keep up after the wife finishes her shower. Whether or not the AH can keep up with anyone's needs is purely subjective.
How much you use the diesel Aquahot does, of course, impact fuel mileage which is what this thread was discussing.
2017 Cornerstone(All Sold)
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:15 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowabeachbum

What I said was for my needs, which is long hot showers, the electric element can't keep up after the wife finishes her shower. Whether or not the AH can keep up with anyone's needs is purely subjective.
How much you use the diesel Aquahot does, of course, impact fuel mileage which is what this thread was discussing.
All these answers can be correct. The different AquaHot models have different capabilities. The old HydraHot which I believe is now the AH 450, the furnace would turn off when hot water was called for. The AH 600 has a larger coolant tank and would keep up with both. Some newer models have 2 electric elements and do a better job of keeping up with demand.

I live full time in an AquaHot equipped coach. I leave both electric and diesel on 24/7. The control thermostat for the diesel burner is set to a lower temp than the electric. The diesel does not fire unless the electric is falling behind. On a cold night, the diesel may fire to bring the coolant temp back up or if using hot water for an extended period the same thing will happen. You will have fewer problems with the diesel burner if it's allowed to run regularly.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #56

Entegra Owners Club
Excellent overview. Thanks Steve. The newer Anthems have the 450DL and last I checked so did the Tiffin Allegro Bus.