Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2017, 06:54 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Entegra steering problem

My research on the Aspire continues and steering comes up as an issue.

A recent report on a test drive from someone I know says the steering felt loose and lacked "feel" even though the alignment seemed ok as it tracked well hands-off. Prior experience of the test driver was with a Phaeton 36GH; no IFS or tag experience.

A common comment from those who've noted steering problem is that lubrication is needed. Seems to me if that were the issue with this test drive the steering would have felt too tight. I'm wondering if the problem was the tires being at max pressure out of the factory which is way to much for an empty coach.

So for those who have experience with the steering problem, what are the symptoms or whatever you call the description of the steering problem?

Any other thoughts on this test drive report?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2017, 07:00 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Most of the Entegra owners have not had steering problems, but there have been some. If the coach has steering problems they will be apparent in a test drive. If the coach steers well on a test drive then don't be concerned. As I said most Entegra owners have gone tens if thousands of miles without a steering problem.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Most of the Entegra owners have not had steering problems, but there have been some. If the coach has steering problems they will be apparent in a test drive. If the coach steers well on a test drive then don't be concerned. As I said most Entegra owners have gone tens if thousands of miles without a steering problem.
I agree with the post above. I had tight steering and a chassis lube freed it up and it has been great ever since. My professional background was vehicles testing. I managed big rig fuel economy testing for 35 years and during that time I had the opportunity to drive hundreds of trucks in every configuration imaginable. When a person goes from one vehicle to another, it is easy to notice that there is a difference in how they drive. For example if you are used to driving a performance car and then get in a minivan you will quickly realize the short comings in handling and power compared to what you are used to.

I think this happens to a lot of RVers when they go from a small coach to the largest coach allowed on the road (45 foot Entegra). Their expectations are that it will handle like a sports car. One has to realize that these vehicles are very heavy and the steering is different. Not bad, but different. To put the weight in perspective, an 18 wheeler has legal limits on axle weight. The steer axle is maxed out at 12,000 lbs, the tandems are maxed at 34,000 on the tractor and the trailer. Our coaches have steer axles rated up to 20,000 lbs on the Cornerstone. And people expect the steering to be light and easy like a car. I believe that there are a lot of posts from people that fit in this catagory.

I'm sure that there were some coachs that had real issues, so please don't attack me.

In addition to the weight, wind has a huge influence on how the steering feels. This is why Newmar has Comfort Steer, so drivers can change how the steering feels to suite their needs.

All this said, I don't put much value on someone's negative opinion based on a short test drive. JMHO.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:36 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I am one of the very few that had steering problems. Easy solution, get on a flat level section of highway. Get up to 65 MPH and take your hands off the wheel. If it tracks straight, it's fine. If it does not, give it back to the dealer and let him worry about it.

I drove the same chassis Spartan for 12 years so I was familiar they way the drove. JMO, but if I had it to do over it would have been the dealers problem.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:22 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Complain to CS and ask for a Josam alignment in Orlando. It's worth the drive.
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:11 AM   #6

The OP indicates his specific interest is an Aspire. I own an Anthem so probably cannot comment beyond the observation of the general fact that what you are going to hear here on iRV2 are from owners who are having problems with their Aspires. That is as it should be, as that what this forum is all about.

However, as others have pointed out, you can also find the comments from owners who have upgraded from other coaches, or owners who have just upgraded from gassers and smaller motorhomes singing the praises of the "drive" of their Aspires..... you have to look for them a little harder, but they are there.

Now, I just hosted 49 coaches, many of them Aspires at Quartzsite, and while there were tons of owner discussions around the campfire, and some complaining going around about one thing or another, there was no bitching about "drivability" of Aspires or any other of the models.... If there is a problem, then it is something atypical and if a new coach, hand the problem to Entegra Customer Service people, and if on an old coach, then put your money and your problem into the hands of a first class alignment shop. There is NO systemic problem here with steering. If there is a problem it is a specific coach problem which can be corrected.

I used to drive semi-tractors for an LTL shipping company to make some extra money while in graduate school and often drove a different cab every night, and I can tell you that my coach may not be perfect, but it is darn good, and I love every mile I put behind the wheel. JMHO

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:35 PM   #7

Hi Gary
Take a look at my video.

Let me know what you think
sincitysound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:16 AM   #8

Spartan & Entrega are willing to fix it let them do that, both company's are very good. U will be happy in the end, just make sure they know the problems & let them do there thing.
raceday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:12 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
My research on the Aspire continues and steering comes up as an issue.

A recent report on a test drive from someone I know says the steering felt loose and lacked "feel" even though the alignment seemed ok as it tracked well hands-off. Prior experience of the test driver was with a Phaeton 36GH; no IFS or tag experience.

A common comment from those who've noted steering problem is that lubrication is needed. Seems to me if that were the issue with this test drive the steering would have felt too tight. I'm wondering if the problem was the tires being at max pressure out of the factory which is way to much for an empty coach.

So for those who have experience with the steering problem, what are the symptoms or whatever you call the description of the steering problem?

Any other thoughts on this test drive report?
Words like "feel" and "loose" are pretty subjective and everyone uses their own personal barometer to measure. Add to that, Entegra has had issues in the past with poor alignment from the factory and as Brobox said, a recall on steering box pulsing. If you consider all this together, it can be more confusing that it should be. Perhaps the best way to get a feel of how the Aspire drives is to drive one and you be the judge!
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:14 AM   #10

My question now is why do we deal with a Dealership?
What is the reason for them, just to take my money and deal with the warranty?
Soon I left the dealership I discover all those issues I would of turn around and demand my money back but they were close for the holidays, that was bad timing.
This is a very big investment, me and my wife can't even enjoy this coach.
How would anyone feel with this can of situation.
Joyce as been very pleasant to talk too and deal but the reality is this coach will never be right it is defective right from the start.
If I can't have my money back I will be looking for some Legal Action Lemon law.
If any one has any better reason to connive me otherwise please share with me.
sincitysound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sincitysound View Post
My question now is why do we deal with a Dealership?
What is the reason for them, just to take my money and deal with the warranty?
Soon I left the dealership I discover all those issues I would of turn around and demand my money back but they were close for the holidays, that was bad timing.
This is a very big investment, me and my wife can't even enjoy this coach.
How would anyone feel with this can of situation.
Joyce as been very pleasant to talk too and deal but the reality is this coach will never be right it is defective right from the start.
If I can't have my money back I will be looking for some Legal Action Lemon law.
If any one has any better reason to connive me otherwise please share with me.
I am just going to pass along my experience with a bad delivery.

Dealer...forget about it. He has your money, it's gone, he paid his bank the floorplan for the MH to release the title. He is over 3,000 miles away over many state lines.

It's hard spending over $300,000. for a MH that is almost unusable (your front end is a mess) I lost $50,000 in depreciation the first year sitting in shops. My options were to take the hit, or spend the money on legal fees and time in court. The attorney always wins. We decided the hassle wasn't worth it and would try to let the coach be fixed. I know it is a very hard decision.....I chalked mine up to a learning experience in life, made the best of it, but have no desire for another new coach to go through it all over again.

Others have had almost perfect deliveries, which is all we asked for with our money. We were not fortunate for that to happen. I hope that a trip back to Entegra gets all of the problems corrected, (I see a lot of minor and normal issues in the video)....it did not on mine, especially the front end and rear ends from Spartan. Both companies were great for the CS side, it was the vendors that caused all of my problems.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Sincitysound,

After watching your video I think you are fortunate that Spartan offered to drive the coach back to their factory for repairs, as that is likely the only place that can properly diagnose and repair your chassis issues. Spartan has the responsibility and they will be much more diligent at resolving this than will an independent shop. The extra miles on the coach are insignificant. When you sell or trade the coach it will not affect the value whether you have 26,000 or 30,000 miles on it. As the mileage gets higher the difference in mileage is even less of a factor. There is actually an advantage to you to having them driving it back east, as the extra miles will be a good test to see if anything else goes wrong.

After the coach is finished at Spartan, you can insist that Entegra pick it up so that they can fix their part of the problems.

You cannot invoke any lemon laws in any state without first giving the seller/manufacturer the opportunity to repair the problems. You have just been offered exactly that and I think you should accept it. Each state has their own requirements but generally they get several attempts to repair before you can use the lemon laws. Also, most if not all states lemon laws only cover the driving apparatus in an RV and not any house issues such as slideouts.

If you let them bring the coach back to you after they say it is fixed, you run the risk that what they say is fixed is actually still not right. If it were my coach, I would fly or drive back to Michigan or Indiana after both Spartan and Entegra both say the coach is fixed, and test drive it to see if it is to your satisfaction before leaving the area or having them drive it back. If everything is not right, make them fix it again. Do not let the coach leave Michigan/Indiana until everything is right, as you will likely not get the same opportunity again to have your grievances addressed by the appropriate factory, who is best qualified to do the work.

Good luck to you. You are not the first to go through this with this, as all manufacturers have occasional problems such as this.. You have little choice at this time but to let Spartan and Entegra make it right for you. Based on the experience of many here, I think they will make it right if you give them a chance and hold their feet to the fire.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
sincitysound,

Hope these issues get resolved to your satisfaction soon.

Question....Why did you purchase from a dealer on the East Coast? I realize there are no Entegra dealers in Vegas, however, you had choices of dealers in the west hundreds of miles away instead 3000?
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
100% of what MRUSA14 said. In addition spend a week at Shipshewanna South RV Park, only 7 miles from Entegra. We did when we picked our coach up and a good thing we did. The jack motor went out when we tried to level that night. We also found the refrigerator water dispenser was leaking and the part had to be ordered, plus a few other small items. It took all of that work week to be worked in to get everything finished.

In FL the manufacture has three tries to fix an item before the Lemon Law can be filed. As Mark said, it is for safety items, dive line and paint only. Nothing else qualifies.

Tags
entegra, steering