Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

Entegra vs Newmar

See this thread in the main Class A section, figured some of you might have something to add.......

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/ente...ar-129333.html
MSMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 PM   #2

Just did Matt, thanks.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #3

My only "quibble" with the thread is it seems to try to create sides of Newmar vs. Entegra owners. Obviously most of us Entegra owners are happy with our decision ... I prefer threads that approach it differently, such as why did you buy your Entegra or Newmar and why do you think they are good? All just my opinion of course ...
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy02 View Post
My only "quibble" with the thread is it seems to try to create sides of Newmar vs. Entegra owners. Obviously most of us Entegra owners are happy with our decision ... I prefer threads that approach it differently, such as why did you buy your Entegra or Newmar and why do you think they are good? All just my opinion of course ...
Hello. I am the OP on the Newmar vs Entegra thread, and I'm not trying to create "sides". In my original post I specifically said
Quote:
...So what's the buzz? Why is Entegra better than Dutch Star? Or why is Dutch Star better than Entegra? Or are they equal and it is just preference?

This should be a good conversation starter! LOL! Let's hear from all of you, good or bad ...
Truly wondering what the deciding factor was/is for each. Only time I get a little testy is when someone posts an inaccurracy as a fact, like the Aspires all having 450ISL.

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can't say for certain what the Aspire had in the past, but this is from their website:

Cummins ISL turbocharged 450 HP engine 1,250 lb. ft. torque at 1,300 RPM
FlaSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaSam View Post
I can't say for certain what the Aspire had in the past, but this is from their website:

Cummins ISL turbocharged 450 HP engine 1,250 lb. ft. torque at 1,300 RPM
LOL! You beat me buy 3 minutes!

Here is the last post I just put on the other thread - correcting MY misinformation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy02 View Post
My Aspire has a 450 ISL engine and does not have IFS. To my knowledge ALL 2012 Aspires come with the 450 Cummins...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
I found out yesterday that they got a deal on some IFS chassis so put them under Aspires. I forget the exact number but I believe it was 24 or so. It's a temporary situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
yep, some Aspires with IFS, BUT if you want one , best get with the program soon. The deal, as explained to me at least, they went to the 16,400 front axle with 315s on the Anthem because of weight problems and are using the left over 14,6oo with 295s and IFS on Aspires and is limited to what they have in stock...
My bad!

I was under the impression that this limited number of chassis were the ones with the 450 ISL engines. Not sure if or when it was changed, but the Entegra website is showing the 2013 Aspire standard with the 450 engine. Other than the customization available with Newmar, it was the engine that was the big deal breaker/maker for me. So we're back to a pretty even field!!! LOL!

Can't wait til I'm a little closer to my purchase date and can actually get out there and test drive both! Just doing all my research beforehand, cause I know when I actually get IN the units, I'll fall in love with one, and that will be all she wrote ...

Thx for all the input - yes, I'm taking notes!

Kathryn

Old 07-08-2012, 12:11 PM   #7

Kathryn, we are all Entegra lovers here so take us with a grain of salt and "trust but verify" for yourself. Look very closely at both the construction and the quality of materials going into both coaches. Especially look at the floor and sub floor on the units and the chassis (Spartan is unequaled in the industry in my opinion). Then, when you inspect the coaches look at the cabinet quality, fit and finish, you WILL see some differences. A real eye opener is to visit both factories (i did this back to back on successive days) and pay very close attention to not only what is going on, but the pace it is moving, how hurried the workforce may or may not be and especially look at the differences in construction techniques and quality of materials going into the coach. Take your time, do not let them hurry you, tell them you are evaluating for a new coach purchase and you need to be sure. I am confident that when you do that you will pick the coach that best suits you.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
... A real eye opener is to visit both factories (i did this back to back on successive days) ...
Thanks. Yes, I am planning on scheduling a visit to both factories, hopefully on successive days as well while things are still fresh in my mind. That should be informative! At least I have narrowed it down to two really great coaches!

Kathryn

Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #9

Kathryn,

You piqued my interest so I thought I would check out what Newmar had to offer. Now I will admit that my look was more cursory than in depth, but it appears to me that the Newmars are more expensive than a comparable Entegra. The Newmar Ventana models are closer to my entry level Berkshire than the Aspire. When you get to the Dutch Star and equip it closer to the Aspire it appears to be more expensive than the Aspire. I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but when I looked at a few dealers websites, it appears to me that the Newmar is more expensive, not less.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #10

I found the same thing price wise. A similarly equipped Newmar in our case was much more expensive than my Anthem. Also I am of the impression that the negotiable discount off the Entegra is higher than the Newmar. This is all based on my personal experience and I am certainly no expert in this stuff but that is how it was for us.
bill2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:18 AM   #11

Even if everything was 100% the same between the two coaches, the spartan chassis would tip the scale for me.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:11 AM   #12

Newmar makes a great coach, but the price point is higher on a Newmar when comparing it to an Entegra. You can't go wrong with either brand. It all comes down to how much you have/want to spend...... Me I just like the look and feel of the Entegra over the Newmar...
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2011 View Post
I found the same thing price wise. A similarly equipped Newmar in our case was much more expensive than my Anthem. Also I am of the impression that the negotiable discount off the Entegra is higher than the Newmar. This is all based on my personal experience and I am certainly no expert in this stuff but that is how it was for us.
What Newmar unit were you comparing with the Anthem? I am comparing the Dutch Star against the Aspire.

And my impression on the discounting is opposite ... when you have a waiting list over 9 months long, it is very unlikely that they will have comparable discounts.

Kathryn

Old 07-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I think he Mountain Aire would be comparable to the Anthem.
Yep, Kathryn, I think your impression of discounting is spot on, you don't discount when you have a product in demand! But in the wacky world of Entegra dealers, they don't agree! They continue to aggressively discount. Entegra seems to be the only company (haven’t checked lately) that dealers are discounting more than 25%. As a buyer, I certainly don’t mind the discount but now when I am looking to trade it in, I find the Newmars and Tiffins are worth quite a bit more in comparision using NADA. I don’t know if it's the newness of the Entegra name or the actual upfront discounts that are to blame but…
Gary
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newmar