Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2017, 09:16 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Cool Entry Step Help

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse here....

Went to the coach this morning to do a couple maintenance items. Opened the door and the steps came out normally. Got into the coach and closed the door. When I went to go back out, the steps did not extend and they were maybe an inch from be fully retracted. I turned off 12V, started the engine, started the generator....no change. So..... I jumped out, closed the door and went about my tire airing duties. I went back to the door, opened it and the steps came out. I'm thinking, OK, a gremlin. I closed the door and they retracted to almost in...about one inch hanging out. Opened the door and nothing.

I have removed and reseated both fuses, before they worked the last time, so I think fuses are good.

Any ideas ???? Anything other troubleshooting ideas ????

Thanks!
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Dr. Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2017, 09:20 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Q View Post
Hope I'm not beating a dead horse here....

Went to the coach this morning to do a couple maintenance items. Opened the door and the steps came out normally. Got into the coach and closed the door. When I went to go back out, the steps did not extend and they were maybe an inch from be fully retracted. I turned off 12V, started the engine, started the generator....no change. So..... I jumped out, closed the door and went about my tire airing duties. I went back to the door, opened it and the steps came out. I'm thinking, OK, a gremlin. I closed the door and they retracted to almost in...about one inch hanging out. Opened the door and nothing.

I have removed and reseated both fuses, before they worked the last time, so I think fuses are good.

Any ideas ???? Anything other troubleshooting ideas ????

Thanks!
Maybe a door sensor issue? There is a magnet in the lower edge of the door, about 5 inches up. The sensor switch is in the door frame directly opposite. Maybe the magnet is loose or weak or misaligned - ??? Pop the magnet out and put it near the switch and see if you can get the steps to work normally. Otherwise there may be some issue with the control module under the step.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Thanks Rob....I'll take a look at that. I don't remember a magnet being there though. I have two brass looking buttons on both the door and door jam that match up. I might try cleaning those a bit too...

Thanks
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Old 06-10-2017, 09:40 AM   #4

Entry Step Help

Quote:
Thanks Rob....I'll take a look at that. I don't remember a magnet being there though. I have two brass looking buttons on both the door and door jam that match up. I might try cleaning those a bit too...

Thanks

The 2 brass buttons are made by Dakota and create a normally open circuit for the Kwikkee steps. If you remove the mating section from the Coach (not door) you can determine if it has changed its setting. The picture below will show the correct position as if the door would be in the closed position. Push the button in and the circuit should open.

This is just another possibility. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0857.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	164711
Old 06-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #5

The biggest problem with steps is binding caused by dirt and grime around the pivot points. Although it's not a very good lubricant, WD40 is a pretty good cleaner. Try spraying it liberally around ALL the pivot points on the steps. There are many places that can bind.
JPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Might try lubing all the dor linkages particularly those underneath the coach. Any good penetrating oil you have handy for initial test. Long term there are some foaming sprays that's recommended by manufacturer. Recommended 2-3 times season.
Jerry0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 10:39 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks
Other edge of door, look like black plastic plugs
Old 06-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
The 2 brass buttons are made by Dakota and create a normally open circuit for the Kwikkee steps. If you remove the mating section from the Coach (not door) you can determine if it has changed its setting. The picture below will show the correct position as if the door would be in the closed position. Push the button in and the circuit should open.

This is just another possibility. Attachment 164711
I think on the Entegra those are for the door lock, don't think they have anything to do with the steps. Could be wrong....
Old 06-10-2017, 10:52 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Other edge of door, look like black plastic plugs
ok...I was looking in the wrong place. I'll check that when I go back over in a bit. I did crawl around under the coach and couldn't find anything that appears loose, including ground wires. But, the motor does not even try to run, when the door is opened or closed....like it's not getting any power. I tested both fuses and they are good, but I replaced them anyway. that made no difference.

The steps don't appear to be in a bind. I can push them completely closed without any problem; they just won't stay fully retracted, nor will they extend.

It's always to find something like this the day before you're leaving on a trip
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Old 06-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
ok...I was looking in the wrong place. I'll check that when I go back over in a bit. I did crawl around under the coach and couldn't find anything that appears loose, including ground wires. But, the motor does not even try to run, when the door is opened or closed....like it's not getting any power. I tested both fuses and they are good, but I replaced them anyway. that made no difference.

The steps don't appear to be in a bind. I can push them completely closed without any problem; they just won't stay fully retracted, nor will they extend.

It's always to find something like this the day before you're leaving on a trip
Does the position of the Step Power switch (just inside entry door) have any effect one way or the other? It's purpose when off is to keep the step extended at all times unless the engine is running. When On it will extend/retract the step anytime the door is opened/closed.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdoc View Post
Does the position of the Step Power switch (just inside entry door) have any effect one way or the other? It's purpose when off is to keep the step extended at all times unless the engine is running. When On it will extend/retract the step anytime the door is opened/closed.
no, doesn't seem to matter....I've flipped it several times....
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Old 06-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
As Jerry0312 stated, it's probably dirt. The pivot joints are exposed to all the dirt and salts from the road. Use lots of WD-40 sprayed to blow the joint clean and clear then wipe it with cloth to clean the non pivoting surfaces. The WD-40 will drive out moisture and provide lubrication. Clean the motor's pivot mechanism,too, and clean and check the motor/wire connections as one might be loose or corroded. The step will open normally with little motor ability because it is moving downward and Gravity is assisting, however, in closing you are lifting all the weight and shifting it back under the motorhome and all the friction/pivot points work against the motor. You need good clean motor connections to get full power to pull the steps in against gravity. When the joints are lubed and cleaned, you can work the WD-40 further into the pivot points by opening and closing the door a dozen times to exercise the complete movement of the pivot joint. Remember, the motor retracts the steeps until a determined resistance is encountered. It is probably reaching this resistance before fully closed/retracted because of dirt and contamination. This is a regular maintenance item, like checking the oil....while using the WD-40, also squirt a bit into each key lock and work it with the key, this will drive out moisture and also lubricate. Wishing you the best on your journeys.
ronspread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:39 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Cool

I took out the door sensor and the magnet seemed strong enough.

Is it supposed to stick magnetically to the other side? It did not stick, not did it even seem magnetic.... So, I guess I'm not sure what effect I'm looking for here...
2016 Jeep Cherokee
Old 06-10-2017, 02:38 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I noticed your coach is a 2012. My 2014 step motor has already had to be replaced. As a test of the motor you can jump it with a 12v power supply and see if the motor is working. Also the motor plug is located where it receives the road spray from the front wheel if driving in rain. Check the connection for any corrosion. JMO but the step motors are not of the quality they use to be.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote