Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shardan1 View Post
Just food for thought.
Any ESP you purchase is cheaper in the long run if you purchase when new. Otherwise it'll be a lot more expensive if purchased after the factory warranty.
Less when new due to drive train wty on new rig. Mine is 5/50.
But I self insure. Only need $ for the little things for another 3.5 yrs.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #16

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Just food for thought.
Any ESP you purchase is cheaper in the long run if you purchase when new. Otherwise it'll be a lot more expensive if purchased after the factory warranty.
But you only get part of the coverage time that way since the original manufacturers warranty is good for the first year and maybe two. The appliances will have their own or be covered under the RV manufacturers warranty. The engine/trans/chassis will have their own too. Why pay for double coverage?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #17

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I would go with the warranties provided with initial purchase...then buy an extended warranty. Most, other than the house, are mfg insured for 3-5 years. If 3 then I would buy an extended warranty. Check with David Scott at at Wholesale Warranties about cost on initial purchase or after some time. Go with the policy that isinclusive...if not excluded it iscivered.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Less when new due to drive train wty on new rig. Mine is 5/50.
But I self insure. Only need $ for the little things for another 3.5 yrs.
When having the DP, it's nice to have the piece of mind when traveling in case something happens. Drop an engine or trans just after the warranty can be very expensive.
Mr_D, initially you're right the factory covers, but after the warranty is up the ESP's consider it a used coach and the prices all but double. We have friends that just purchased a used 09 coach and was quoted double for 4 years of coverage compared to a new coach.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:17 AM   #19

One other factor to consider in extended warranties is how solid the company is that is providing the warranty. That information can be very hard to find and it can be a shot in the dark as to whether or not you have purchased from a company that will still be around when you need them.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #20

Quote:
When having the DP, it's nice to have the piece of mind when traveling in case something happens. Drop an engine or trans just after the warranty can be very expensive.
Mr_D, initially you're right the factory covers, but after the warranty is up the ESP's consider it a used coach and the prices all but double. We have friends that just purchased a used 09 coach and was quoted double for 4 years of coverage compared to a new coach.
I hope you find a good EW to ensure your comfort.
I have comfort from what I have put away rather than spend on EW.
If well maintained, a major failure has about the same odds as Power Ball, me thinks.
We each have our own way of doing this, and we both succeed. Thats good!

Happy trails!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
I hope you find a good EW to ensure your comfort.
I have comfort from what I have put away rather than spend on EW.
If well maintained, a major failure has about the same odds as Power Ball, me thinks.
We each have our own way of doing this, and we both succeed. Thats good!

Happy trails!
When comparing apples to grapes, I'm sure it's cheaper to self insure a camper that is built on a truck chassis that is relatively cheap to fix compared to a large truck diesel. Major failures can occur for many reasons even if you maintain your equipment as you or I do. Fixing a large cummins could be the downpayment on a small class A with a truck chassis. So, $1000 a year is relatively cheap for piece of mind on something that can run 10 to 20 thousand to fix, IF something detrimental happens. Then, when we sell our coach, we can sign our ESP over to the new owners. Because if they would want an ESP it would be double what it is if it's carried out from new. I may not be the one that benefits from it, but it may help me sell it in the future.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Lets see, pay a high price for insurance and get only half the coverage or pay double the price for the same coverage.
HMMMM.........
What to do
What to do?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks, Everyone

Thanks, Everyone, for your responses. We've considered them all carefully. We have picked up Harvey the RV and made it home safely. We did not buy the extended warranty as we probably will purchase a warranty at a later date when our 2 year bumper to bumper expires. We'll be checking out all your suggestions.

I would love to post a photo of Harvey, but am having trouble doing so. We loved the maiden voyage!
Flora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Congrats on your new coach...bet it looks great.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote