Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2017, 01:24 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Extended Warranty

As some of you folks know, I've put a deposit down on a 2013 Anthem. While the original warranty has expired, I've been contemplating an extended warranty.

My question is what should I expect to pay? I realize there are variables such as length of warranty and extent of coverage. Just hoping to get some idea of what I could expect and what has been your experience with different providers.

As always, thanks for your replies.

UPDATE: Sorry.......I should have done a search on the board first before making this post. Got some good information from previous posts but if there is anything more to add, please feel free to reply.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2017, 03:47 PM   #2

I recently purchased '14 Cornerstone with 14k miles. Didn't even give it a second thought about purchasing the best plan possible. ($10k). My Spartan warranty still has a year thankfully so. Just had about $2300.00 worth of work performed under warranty including dash A/C issues and a stabilizer arm on front of coach. My warranty covers everything. Basically it's an insurance policy plain and simple: you're happy to have it if you need it but not thrilled st the premium you pay up front. My coverage is through Campers Edge. $200 deductible. 4 years or 48k miles. I'm not a full timer so there's no way I'll ever put 48k miles on the coach. My policy has lots of limitations but only to the extent that I don't properly maintain each and every system. My experience with past coaches and policies like this are the issuing company will want to fight some of the costs. In most previous cases, in my experience, the insurance company paid up. So for me, the extended warranty was worth it
ButchT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:58 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButchT View Post
I recently purchased '14 Cornerstone with 14k miles. Didn't even give it a second thought about purchasing the best plan possible. ($10k). My Spartan warranty still has a year thankfully so. Just had about $2300.00 worth of work performed under warranty including dash A/C issues and a stabilizer arm on front of coach. My warranty covers everything. Basically it's an insurance policy plain and simple: you're happy to have it if you need it but not thrilled st the premium you pay up front. My coverage is through Campers Edge. $200 deductible. 4 years or 48k miles. I'm not a full timer so there's no way I'll ever put 48k miles on the coach. My policy has lots of limitations but only to the extent that I don't properly maintain each and every system. My experience with past coaches and policies like this are the issuing company will want to fight some of the costs. In most previous cases, in my experience, the insurance company paid up. So for me, the extended warranty was worth it

x2

So glad i got the same policy "Campers Edge" Has an Inclusion and Limitations section. Limitations List is key, not all warranty companies do this. $10k for 4 years. I've had my 2012 Entegra Aspire coach for 9 months and have used about a third of the cost of the plan already. Keep up with the maintenance and let the plan cover things that it should. Just recently, (with road hazard warranty on my Steer Goodyear G670 RV tire (cut sidewall), over $1000 to replace it alone.
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Also, I've been looking at Good Sam Extended Service Plans. Seems to be quite inclusive but would appreciate any opinion on this plan.

Thanks very much for the recommendations for Campers Edge!

Old 03-20-2017, 05:11 PM   #5

I would say stay away from these kind of plans... usually lots of "fine print " that shuts you down when you Go to use it.. only certain shops can do the work etc..
10 grand plus still a deductible to pay each time fixes a lot of things ...
keep your money in your bank , you better off ... jmo
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #6

I will just say we had Good Sam insurance. It cost about $1800 a year. We had a Huey fuel pump go bad, I paid my $100 deductible and Good Sam paid the Freightliner in Ft. Worth $3200. So I figure I won. Freightliner called Good Sam they approved it, done deal. We bought a New Entegra Aspire 44B in 2014. We still have Good Sam warranty plan. The insurance is thru "General National", works for us.
one55chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:58 PM   #7

I just looked it up on my paperwork. It's called Good Sam extended warranty service plan and it cost $870 a year.
one55chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:15 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the info on Good Sam! Sounds like it was a good investment.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi John,

You may want to check with the shops in your area to see if they accept, or work with extended warranty contracts for repairs. Wasn't an issue for me, as i knew my local shop does. It's true that not all shops are willing to call or work with the extended warranty folks or want to deal with them. Even so, it's still possible to get reimbursed directly from Warrantech (Camper's Edge) after the work has been done. In another case, I had some work done, where i sent Warrentech the receipt and was reimbursed for what was covered.

As far as deductibles, if the work is done at the same location you purchased your RV from, there may be an option for a vanishing deductible. This is true for me.

I guess it boils down to personal preference and financial situation. Insurance policies are terrible investments until you benefit from them.
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:47 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Wholesale warranty gave me the same plan as others for far less
26034648k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:46 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I became self insured when my warranty expired. If there is a profit to be made off of insurance, I wanted to try to be the profit makers. I leave $10,000 (cost of policy) in my travel account that has a debt card. On the last MH I had $5,000. remaining in that account at the end of 5 years. I only had to add $5,000. for the Entegra account.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:48 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Chuck,

I like that idea. Come to think of it, the wife keeps a separate account called "RV". I'm leaning towards going that route.

Thanks again to everyone for their input!

Old 03-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleVeze View Post
Chuck,

I like that idea. Come to think of it, the wife keeps a separate account called "RV". I'm leaning towards going that route.

Thanks again to everyone for their input!

I have been a lender and landlord all of my adult life, both profitable. I figured being an Insurer when I retired fit right in. Mine is also the "RV" account.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:30 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Read the find print in your Extented Warranty

I have a 2017 Aspire and plan on buying extended warranty. I have checked with Good Sam, Campers Edge, and Wholesale Warranty. The exclusion page (What is the not covered page) is the most important page in the agreement (extended warranty is not an insurance policy). Some agreements exclude wiring. So if you have a wiring issue which leads to a failure of a covered part they will not pay for the repair. Look for consequential damage. If a non covered part damages a covered part unless you have consequential damage you are not covered. An example: a serpentine belt breaks and damages the radiator. The belt is not a covered item but the radiator is covered normally except it was damaged by a non covered item. Consequential damage clause will cover your radiator in this case and mostly likely the serpentine belt.

This is what I found. The Good Sam policy is very very expensive long term and has no consequential damage. I was quotes $3000 a year, unbelievable. Camper Edge from my dealer has a competitive price but no Consequential damage coverage. Wholesale warranty has a very competitive price with consequential damage coverage.

Here was my price breakdown:
Good Sam $3000 per year could be paid monthly,advantage to some.
Campers Edge 7 year with tire coverage $7000 paid in full would be a great policy if it had consequential damage.
Wholesale Warranty 7 year with tire $6200 paid in full the best policy for the money with consequential damage included.

Read the fine print because down the road when you go to make a claim the last thing you need is a denied claim.

Ray
rorr1821 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty