Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2017, 03:25 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Factory build process

Questions for those who have been on the factory tour.

Do they build all versions simultaneously or in sequence of type such as Cornerstone then Anthem etc?

I understand they are going to start 2018 builds in April. Will they start with a particular type or with the first order received for a 2018?

Approximately how many units at a time are in the factory being built?

Related question - a friend is interested in an Anthem and was told if he wanted September delivery he needed to order in April. Is that realistic?

Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2017, 04:06 AM   #2

Yes, they build all the models every day, tho they could have a run of 4 Anthem then several Aspire and so on. Do not know or will any one what the first 18 build we be, guess it could be any model, and to take from April till Sept to get one seems a bit long to me. It has been about 3 months give or take weeks.

Old 03-21-2017, 06:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Questions for those who have been on the factory tour.

Do they build all versions simultaneously or in sequence of type such as Cornerstone then Anthem etc?

I understand they are going to start 2018 builds in April. Will they start with a particular type or with the first order received for a 2018?

Approximately how many units at a time are in the factory being built?

Related question - a friend is interested in an Anthem and was told if he wanted September delivery he needed to order in April. Is that realistic?

We haven't been on a factory tour, but we ordered a 2018 Aspire and we're told it was on the assembly line as of about March 10th. We were told it would be 8 - 12 weeks until completion. Hope that helps.
gbrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:13 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Delivery date is going to depend on sales. Those that have ordered 18's that wait has been until April. When I placed my order the wait was six month and weather delayed that even longer. The number of pre-ordered sales is what will determine the delivery date and the number of orders place by a dealer.

Larger dealers already have order slots.....they will sell that coaches slot then put in for color changes for that pre-ordered coach.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:31 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I don't know how they manage their models built but as someone posted above on any given day they might have 4 Cornerstones, 8 Anthems, and 0 Aspires on the floor, then 5 days later it's all turned around. I know they don't build like a Ford plant and have one line building Cornerstones and the other building Anthems. That is actually good because the same workers build all four models of coaches and you don't have an "A team" and a "B team"
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:37 AM   #6

right, and it's pretty much the same throughout the industry when it comes to the larger motorcoaches... there's just not enough of a 'single' model for a factory line to only produce that model all day every day...

Entegra is a rare builder in that they are only Diesel models, and most are the same or similar length chassis. You might can throw American Coach in that same scenario, but Newmar, Thor, Coachmen, Forest River, and others all are building both smaller Gas units as well as the largest Diesel units down the same line, with the same employees working on each and every one.

the orders from dealers come into the sales department, and the sales department transfers those to the factory line - with each order getting 'in line' to be built in the order it was 'ordered'. In slow times of the year, a factory MAY add some 'dealer stock' models in the mix, just to keep the line moving, but that's fairly rare since most factories do no WANT to keep a costly inventory themselves, nor have the room for them.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I spent three weeks at the factory when they built our Cornerstone. I documented the build on my RVtechmag website as well as in an FMCA article.

Ideally, they like to run five coaches in a row if they have the orders. For example, there were five CS 45A coaches, followed by five Anthems of varying floorplans, followed by five CS 45B. Our was the first 2016 CS to be built and came down the new factory line. It was preceded by five Aspires. They do this so that the workers can build them faster once they develop a rhythm so orders aren't taken in exact literal order that they were received but they are fairly close.

Entegras are built very much alike, regardless of the model. The same general construction that goes into a Cornerstone, goes into the Anthem, Aspire and Insignia. The same workers work on all four models. The result is that you don't get a "better built" coach by going to a higher model. You do get more features and amenities but every Entegra is built to some fairly high standards.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
right, and it's pretty much the same throughout the industry when it comes to the larger motorcoaches... there's just not enough of a 'single' model for a factory line to only produce that model all day every day...

Entegra is a rare builder in that they are only Diesel models, and most are the same or similar length chassis. You might can throw American Coach in that same scenario, but Newmar, Thor, Coachmen, Forest River, and others all are building both smaller Gas units as well as the largest Diesel units down the same line, with the same employees working on each and every one.

the orders from dealers come into the sales department, and the sales department transfers those to the factory line - with each order getting 'in line' to be built in the order it was 'ordered'. In slow times of the year, a factory MAY add some 'dealer stock' models in the mix, just to keep the line moving, but that's fairly rare since most factories do no WANT to keep a costly inventory themselves, nor have the room for them.
Just as a point of clarification that is not true of Forest River. The Berkshires and Charlestons, both of which are diesels on Freightliner chassis, are all that are built at that particular factory in Elkhart. I can't say about the other brands mentioned, but only diesels are make at the FR Diesel Division.

I have toured the Forest River Diesel Division factory as well as the Entegra and Newmar factories. It's pretty impressive to watch these beasts being made at all three factories. The construction methods at Entegra and Newmar are almost identical.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrash View Post
We haven't been on a factory tour, but we ordered a 2018 Aspire and we're told it was on the assembly line as of about March 10th. We were told it would be 8 - 12 weeks until completion. Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info. When did you place the order?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
I don't know how they manage their models built but as someone posted above on any given day they might have 4 Cornerstones, 8 Anthems, and 0 Aspires on the floor, then 5 days later it's all turned around. I know they don't build like a Ford plant and have one line building Cornerstones and the other building Anthems. That is actually good because the same workers build all four models of coaches and you don't have an "A team" and a "B team"
Thanks, that is an excellent point about A tem and B team.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
I spent three weeks at the factory when they built our Cornerstone. I documented the build on my RVtechmag website as well as in an FMCA article.

Ideally, they like to run five coaches in a row if they have the orders. For example, there were five CS 45A coaches, followed by five Anthems of varying floorplans, followed by five CS 45B. Our was the first 2016 CS to be built and came down the new factory line. It was preceded by five Aspires. They do this so that the workers can build them faster once they develop a rhythm so orders aren't taken in exact literal order that they were received but they are fairly close.

Entegras are built very much alike, regardless of the model. The same general construction that goes into a Cornerstone, goes into the Anthem, Aspire and Insignia. The same workers work on all four models. The result is that you don't get a "better built" coach by going to a higher model. You do get more features and amenities but every Entegra is built to some fairly high standards.
Thanks, I will take a look for your website and more details.
It does make sense to build a series of the same type for parts commonality and processes to make it go faster, but I appreciate how they are all built by the same workers.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post

Your build article, was a great read..thx
jeffnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Thanks for the info. When did you place the order?

We changed a couple things from the original order but it was approximately a month and a half before the build began.
gbrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:58 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Our real and proposed dates are: Start Feb 23; paint March 9; complete April 17. Right now, its in paint and my spies haven't been able to get a look at it. Consequently, no pics

Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote