Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2018, 10:32 AM   #1

Filter change interval questions

I just watched NIRVC's 2019 Anthem video to see if I would learn something and was surprised to hear Angie say two things dealing with filters. The first was that she said that the Meritor Air Dryer filter should be changed yearly. Similarly, she said the Cummins engine air filter should be changed yearly.

Now, I have never heard of those two filters being routinely changed yearly. I didnt change them on my Anthem (did the Cummins air filter but only because the air pressure indicator was high from the time I bought the coach and never got any lower even with the installation of a new air filter)(no one could find a restriction in air flow, but the sensors always showed the filter needed to be changed, even upon delivery) and never read anywhere (I dont think) of a recommended yearly change. Have I missed this?

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #2

Gary, personality I replace them every two years. The air dryer would probably be good for three, but I change at two. I just replaced the air filter and you could see it was a little dirty, but not bad. I did have an extra Entegra screw floating around in it.
They also recommend oil change every six months, but the way I think most people use their mh, even full timers, why would I change oil in the fall let it set five or six months then change oil again in the spring.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Love Angie, but her presentation is scripted. Follow the maintenance schedules as recommended by Spartan. My air dryer filters make it 3 years in our humidity.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:13 AM   #4

In a spartan class we were told the air filter yearly. Reason was they are put together with glues. Is for some reason the glues come apart by by turbos.
Ymmv.
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #5

Air dryer filter best to change every year for sure. On trucks i have I will change every 6 months and they have moisture in them. Good idea is ever 6 months screw it off check if you have moisture on the mounting face change it if not screw it back on. Don't let it go to long or it will like like this one . Used truck I bought and did not get changed until i did it. Got to buy new whole new dryerClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180808_133143.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	214704
anthem16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
In a spartan class we were told the air filter yearly. Reason was they are put together with glues. Is for some reason the glues come apart by by turbos.
Ymmv.
I was told that Cummins requires the air filter be replaced annually to maintain warranty. Heard the same story about paper and glue failing can cause filter media to be injested. The new one installed by NIRVC came enclosed in a plastic bag inside a corrugated box, and Troy said they do that to protect from moisture while in storage. You would think a $250.00 filter would be made "better" than that.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthem16 View Post
Air dryer filter best to change every year for sure. On trucks i have I will change every 6 months and they have moisture in them. Good idea is ever 6 months screw it off check if you have moisture on the mounting face change it if not screw it back on. Don't let it go to long or it will like like this one . Used truck I bought and did not get changed until i did it. Got to buy new whole new dryerAttachment 214704
Our MH gets used 4 months a year. I have never had moister in a filter at the end of 3 years. They have to be used to get like that. 3 years X 4 months= 1 year. JME
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I was told that Cummins requires the air filter be replaced annually to maintain warranty. Heard the same story about paper and glue failing can cause filter media to be injested. The new one installed by NIRVC came enclosed in a plastic bag inside a corrugated box, and Troy said they do that to protect from moisture while in storage. You would think a $250.00 filter would be made "better" than that.
Does that $250 include installation? Bought filter for Cornerstone for $105 from filter warehouse, same filter as original.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:26 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice View Post
Ymmv.
Turbo doesn't cause the glue to fail!

What you probably heard was if the glue fails, and parts of the filter gets sucked into the turbo, it could be destroyed.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the air filter and aur dryer services every couple three years, usage depending.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Turbo doesn't cause the glue to fail!

What you probably heard was if the glue fails, and parts of the filter gets sucked into the turbo, it could be destroyed.

I will save someone the trouble of correcting you seeing as I'm here now. That poster quoted the same as you that if the glue fails, peices of the filter will ruin the turbo.

Now the reason I am posting is to mention that if you change your Cummins air filter annually instead of using the guage you will in the life time of your engine have more dust enter. Everytime you monkey with the filter a tiny bit of dust sneaks in.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #12

Poster said Turbo causes glue to come apart.

I'm out!
Old 08-11-2018, 07:36 PM   #13

Ben the way I read it was “bye bye turbo”.. not by by turbo.

You are correct that turbos don’t cause failures anymore than tires cause failures when you run over a sharp object in the roadway.

Fleetguard recommended changing the filters every 24 months as the glues binding the filtration media degrade over time. For some reason, Fleetguard decided that 24 months (calendar, not usage) is a good time to swap critical filters.

As far as Cummins is concerned, any debris found in the intake tract is grounds for Warranty Claim denial based upon “sabotage.”

If you’re worried about getting debris into the intake tract when changing a filter, it’s time to consult with a mechanic on how to avoid this.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Ben the way I read it was “bye bye turbo”.. not by by turbo.
LMAO . Matt, I think your right !

Thought he/ she had just typed one too many 'by' s !