Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2017, 04:04 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Fire Suppression System Installation

Has anyone installed a fire suppression system on their Entegra and is willing to share a couple of pictures showing where the bottle was hung and where the release heads were placed? I have seen it in a Freightliner, but I would like to see it done on a Spartan Chassis.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2017, 05:10 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I installed one on my 2013 classic

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1497135789.529386.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	164759Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1497135866.237780.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	164760Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1497135898.096251.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	568.0 KB
ID:	164761Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1497135924.381707.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	568.1 KB
ID:	164762

To mount the nozzle I lifted up the hatch in the rear bath

It was a easy installation which took about an hour. I also changed my inside fire extinguishers to non-powder handhelds

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1497136144.927879.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	581.4 KB
ID:	164763

One is mounted just inside the door, one in the kitchen and also bedroom
Old 06-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Looks like I uploaded the pictures twice.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is a timely post, PLEASE - CHECK OUT this link...

Coach Engine Fire - Sadly Fire Suppression Not Installed Yet - Outside Our Bubble

This is a sad story that JUST happened...

So sad...
2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0T 2LZ FWD
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
It's always terrible when you see a motorhome go up in flames. What a loss.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:11 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
That referenced coach is why I posted the question. Thanks BBQ Guy for those pix.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:16 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Your welcome. Nice thing is it gives you piece of mind
Old 06-12-2017, 12:28 PM   #8

I installed one my my 2015 Aspire. Pics here.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #9

Go to OutsideOurBubble.com to see one being installed on a Tiffin. Should be quite similar. I think Cruzer also had this posted earlier.
waterboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 06:21 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I've installed a few of these so far, including the 4 liter twin head system mentioned in the article and posted articles in RV Magazine and Family Motor Coaching as well as on RVtechmag on those installations. These systems can be a real life saver but there is one important thing to keep in mind before buying an automatic extinguisher system.

Most systems are sold in the standard configuration, which is without an alarm system. If you read the news article, these people didn't realize they were on fire until someone else alerted them, and by then it was too late. That's typical for an engine fire on a diesel pusher because it's so far behind you. In many cases an extinguisher by itself won't help you. If you have a fuel leak or hydraulic oil leak or whatever the fire will ignite. Once the temperature reaches the trigger limit the sprinkler head(s) on the extinguisher will discharge the retardant (usually foam) to extinguish the fire. However, once the bottle is empty that process ends and your engine is still pumping fuel or oil and the fire reflashes.

It's not widely pushed but these extinguishers can be ordered with a pressure switch that will trigger an alarm once the bottle pressure drops while the extinguisher is deploying. An alarm on the dash will give you adequate time to pull off the road and shut down the engine. Not only will this give you more time to come up with a fight ort flight decision but by switching off the engine it won't be pumping any more fuel and you may in fact have stopped the fire dead in its tracks, or at least been given enough time to attack it with a handheld extinguisher if appropriate.

I strongly recommend getting a pressure switch alarm system to go with any automatic engine bay extinguisher.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
It's not widely pushed but these extinguishers can be ordered with a pressure switch that will trigger an alarm once the bottle pressure drops while the extinguisher is deploying. An alarm on the dash will give you adequate time to pull off the road and shut down the engine.

I have been looking at several sites and have been unable to find one with the alarm. Do you have any recommendations for a specific company?
Retired_Helo_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

FireFightOne (Jim Bounds) or Macthefireguy can get the bottles ordered with the pressure switch, which must be installed at the factory before the system is charged.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #13

Like most of you folks, the thought of a rear engine fire in my "new" coach is . . .well . . .frightening. So, I pulled the trigger and just installed a foam fire suppression system in the engine compartment of my 2015 Anthem. The system is:

Fire Fight Products - SS300-R4-DOUBLE Large Format 4 Liter FOAM Automatic Release Fire Suppression System

Got it in 3 days. Was fairly straightforward to install. The most challenging part was locating some 3" X 1" aluminum channel stock to mount the two heads to. Found this at a local specialty metals shop. Entire system cost me less than $600. I'm sure there are other great systems out there, as well. Now, DW and I can relax a little more when cruisin' down the highway. If anyone would like details or photos of my installation, please let me know or give me a shout. I'd be happy to share.
Anthem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #14

In the middle of negotiating for a 2017 Anthem.. Have a 2015 Dutch Star currently, and I have a system installed on that by FireFight Systems in Orlando. 321 299 5707. They will send you system and you can install, or if you get to Florida, they will do. Mine is in 3 areas...Engine compartment, generator area, and driver side in main outside breaker/switch area compartment in front of front wheel.
I will be installing on the new coach PRE-DELIVERY if we pull the trigger. DS is a FRTLNR chassis, so pix would be irrelevant. Has a bad incident with fire at repairing dealer lot and lost 2015 A-Bus to a fire. Will not be without a system after seeing what 15 minutes of a coach fire can do.
Other option is contact Mac McCoy ( Mac, the fire guy ) @ mac@macthefireguy,com and let him spec out a system for you including the correct CO detectors, and smoke alarms inside. Cost estimate $ 1,200 - $ 1,500 including installation. Usually any reliable RV repair could install, but many become reluctant because of potential liability.
My opinion is the industry should DEMAND mandatory minimal systems, but don't hold your breath.

Good luck. I'll post PIX if we get 2017, and other upgrades.

2nsman
2015 DS 4018
Hopefully 2017 Entegra Anthem 42 RBQ
2nsman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, install