RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2019, 08:33 AM   #1

Firefly software update

Yesterday, I downloaded the most current Firefly software for my 2019 Cornerstone and it is now 1.2.3. As soon as it downloaded the new software, it immediately triggered the "communication with transfer switch" fault that was mentioned in some other thread.... however, along with that fault, I got three yellow notices that I needed to quickly update three different software sections that were called something like C11. Strangely to me, those little modules say that you need to "upload them" (in contrast to download them) so maybe what I was doing was uploading some feedback to their server.

Here is another thing. My coach talks to the internet through my Verizon MIFI. Although they say it is unlimited, for the MIFI unlimited really means 15 gig per billing period before it de-rates dramatically. And my billing period is from the 14th to the 13th so I am about 2 weeks through the billing period yesterday. And when I rebooted my MIFI, I noted that it was telling me that I had used up 8.5 gigs of my 15 gig monthly allocation at that point (half way through the billing period). The importance of that is that there has been no one in the coach or no one using any aspect of the WIFI system in the coach during that 2 week period..... the coach is sitting in the driveway, so unless there is a neighbor who is hacking into my coach MIFI or a neighbor teenager hacking into my coach MIFI at 3 in the morning, the Firefly system and software is racking up 9 gigs of data throughput in 2 weeks.... !!!!!!!!!!! Is anyone else seeing very high data rates on their WIFI accounts with only the coach WIFI and router system being users of broadband?

I saw all of this very high data consumption back in June of 2018 when my whole system crashed with some major problems in the software that were written off to the software accumulating lots of information to feed back to the servers to evaluate early version of how things were working in this new software version, but I assumed that they had stopped all of that now. If you were paying for your broadband by the Gig, this would be a serious amount of data just going up and down for "no (??)" reason.

Any other observations?

Gary

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #2

Are these firefly updates for Vega touch users only or do they apply to us Aspire owners too?

Old 03-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by murry135 View Post
Are these firefly updates for Vega touch users only or do they apply to us Aspire owners too?

VegaTouch only. We're safe.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:43 AM   #4

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:50 PM   #5

I believe there is a setting for Data Usage under the setting screen. Not very familiar with it but I have seen it.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:11 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Yesterday, I downloaded the most current Firefly software for my 2019 Cornerstone and it is now 1.2.3. As soon as it downloaded the new software, it immediately triggered the "communication with transfer switch" fault that was mentioned in some other thread.... however, along with that fault, I got three yellow notices that I needed to quickly update three different software sections that were called something like C11. Strangely to me, those little modules say that you need to "upload them" (in contrast to download them) so maybe what I was doing was uploading some feedback to their server.

Here is another thing. My coach talks to the internet through my Verizon MIFI. Although they say it is unlimited, for the MIFI unlimited really means 15 gig per billing period before it de-rates dramatically. And my billing period is from the 14th to the 13th so I am about 2 weeks through the billing period yesterday. And when I rebooted my MIFI, I noted that it was telling me that I had used up 8.5 gigs of my 15 gig monthly allocation at that point (half way through the billing period). The importance of that is that there has been no one in the coach or no one using any aspect of the WIFI system in the coach during that 2 week period..... the coach is sitting in the driveway, so unless there is a neighbor who is hacking into my coach MIFI or a neighbor teenager hacking into my coach MIFI at 3 in the morning, the Firefly system and software is racking up 9 gigs of data throughput in 2 weeks.... !!!!!!!!!!! Is anyone else seeing very high data rates on their WIFI accounts with only the coach WIFI and router system being users of broadband?

I saw all of this very high data consumption back in June of 2018 when my whole system crashed with some major problems in the software that were written off to the software accumulating lots of information to feed back to the servers to evaluate early version of how things were working in this new software version, but I assumed that they had stopped all of that now. If you were paying for your broadband by the Gig, this would be a serious amount of data just going up and down for "no (??)" reason.

Any other observations?

Gary

Gary,

You may want to change your Verizon MIFI to a prepaid plan. The Verizon new prepaid plan gives MIFI unlimited data with only network managed feature. You also have autopay just like prepay plan except you pay a month ahead and it is a month to month contract, cancel anytime. We saved 60/month on 2 phones and a MIFI by going prepaid.
B-Man49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:26 AM   #7

Bryan.... I'll look into that. It was not an option when I bought the MIFI about 18 months ago. My monthly Verizon bill is around $200 for two truly unlimited iPhones (X and 8) and the MIFI (which is defined as unlimited but actually has a limit of 15g / billing period). Would love to cut down that cost... it seems obscene.

Gary
Old 04-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a Commercial Member that may be able to assist here. Just a thought. Fireflyint
http://www.irv2.com/forums/members/f...nt-164741.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:56 PM   #9

Hi Gary,

You could be seeing the high data use from the Samsung smart TV's, they are setup to update the apps automatically. I used 2.5GB just on 1 tv with this setting. You could see the usage on the Pepwave router (i think your 2019 is the same as 2018). You could turn this feature off on each TV.
burt_hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:29 PM   #10

Kladner

You are exactly right. I had not see this before, but there is a button entitled Data Usage along the left edge of the settings screen. Once you press that, you get a choice of how frequently you want the onboard Firefly software to upload data to the server, and the default interval is 30 seconds !!! That means that the coach updates the Firefly servers every 30 seconds. There is a low data rate button which shifts that interval from 30 seconds to 2 minutes. Actually, there is a drop down menu which lets you pick values like every 5 minutes or 10 minutes or whatever, but it always come back to every 2 minutes regardless of whatever update interval I pick.

There is a custom button which appears to give you the option of chosing to set your own update interval, but regardless of what value I chose, it reverts back to 2 minutes.

However, even at 2 minutes, that is one fourth as much data upload than it was every 30 seconds. Thanks for bring that all up. I am going to talk to the techs at FireFly to try to get a better handle on what kinds of data throughput I need and why I should be uploading all that material.

Gary
Old 04-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #11

Gary I was able to set mine to 15 minutes and it held. I will check it tonight to confirm.
Thanks
Old 04-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #12

I wounder if by changing the update time if it then is holding all of the information it had and then sends it at the longer interval, where you would not be saving much data being transfered.
Turbojack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:07 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Glad to see the talk on the data usage, on my lists to change. Any talk we have regarding the new Vega Touch is a big help to all of us.

On the upside for Mobley users, this could be the needed time sent to the Mobley to stop the timeouts the new users are having. As it stands now, I have to reset the Mobley about every two months instead of every 2 hours.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:05 PM   #14

Just checked and mine did stay at 15 minutes.

Tags
fire