Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2019, 06:45 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
First Check Engine Light

Driving to Austin I had my first Check Engine Light (image of my engine with a check in it) on my 2013 Classic Aspire. Warning light and bell was sounding for about 20 seconds, then went off. I continued south and pulled into the rest area just past Salado, and it was 100% full, no parking anywhere, so kept going to our destination in Austin area at La Hacienda.

Once parked, I check the warning menus on the dash, and there is no mention of a warning or a code shown? If there is somewhere else to look up warnings and codes in the menu's, I did not see it. I do have one of the devices I can hook to the port back where the fuse and chassis batteries are located.

All gauges while driving were normal (Temp, oil pressure, Battery and air) Very windy that day, driving into a 25 mph headwind, cruise control at 65. Hoping it was just a false alarm?
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2019, 08:35 AM   #2

The check engine icon you got is definitely the right one.... The check in the engine icon indicates that it is just not a warning (engine icon only) and meant that the ECM, for whatever reason, was telling you that something serious was going on.

I am trying to remember on my 15 Anthem, but I believe that the only codes I could see indicated on the dash were "active" codes and the display would not indicate historic codes. If I am remembering right, then the fact that no code shows means that the code is no longer active.

I believe that I had to go to a Spartan shop to have inactive codes read by the computer. What produced the brief CEL is a mystery if you had no codes. I would be inclined to head to a Spartan shop to see what that code was in the historical information.

You are a gutsier guy than I am.... I would have probably not driven that far without understanding what the code meant. I guess you never got a chance to see the SPN error code while the CEL was illuminated?

Keep us abreast of what you discover.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:04 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
If there are no codes on the dash by pushing the buttons, the Check Engine Light is going to be Cummins with their computer. Not all Spartan shops will have Cummins software at least from my experience. Also found the Ocala Cummins did not have Spartan software.
If it's been a long time since you have had any updates on the enging, it might be worth spending the $125. have the CEL check and any new updates done. Found out on the TS that the CEL can come on with outdated software, much like a home computer starts throwing error messages without updates. That was how Cummins explained it to me as I was paying the bill.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you Gary and Chuck -I need to have my updates checked.

I did hook up my diagnostic cable and blue tooth device to the motor home and found the inactive code #97 - "Water in Fuel Indicator 1".

Checked the Fuel Filter and maybe got a drop or two of water mixed with the fuel. It has been very humid here this week, and on the drive down from Dallas to Austin. Will research and see what to do next. My tank is about a quarter or a little more, and I plan to fill up when we depart. Is there any additive to put in the tank? I will check the filter again and while driving back to Dallas for signs of water. When I store the Motor Home, it is usually full!

There is an older code shown that I never saw, FMI 3 - Voltage Above Normal, or Shorted to High Source? Need to look that one up.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:02 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoodofd View Post
Thank you Gary and Chuck -I need to have my updates checked.

I did hook up my diagnostic cable and blue tooth device to the motor home and found the inactive code #97 - "Water in Fuel Indicator 1".

Checked the Fuel Filter and maybe got a drop or two of water mixed with the fuel. It has been very humid here this week, and on the drive down from Dallas to Austin. Will research and see what to do next. My tank is about a quarter or a little more, and I plan to fill up when we depart. Is there any additive to put in the tank? I will check the filter again and while driving back to Dallas for signs of water. When I store the Motor Home, it is usually full!

There is an older code shown that I never saw, FMI 3 - Voltage Above Normal, or Shorted to High Source? Need to look that one up.

What has worked for me with water in the fuel is HEET in the red bottle for diesel at Walmart. Last time I purchased it was $1.97 a bottle, put in 10 bottles IIRC, check how many gallons it treats. Took care of my problem, but I also had the red light "water in fuel"
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:12 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Took another "snapshot" of the Cummings data this afternoon from the port. This time it download a new set of data from today (the data I looked at was from a 2017 snapshot)

SAEJ1939SPN:4334

The Code was 4334-After Treatment 1 Diesel Exhaust Fluid Pressure Sensor - data valid but above normal operating range - Moderately Severe Level

Fault code 3375 - SAEJ1939FMI:16

I think this will be in the Spartan App with the DEF stuff?
Old 05-25-2019, 03:36 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Mark. Fyi for us in Dallas, Industrial Power is a Cummins, Allison and Spartan authorized service center. I prefer the one in McKinney TX over the one in Ft Worth. Lot easier to get to from Lewisville. They can hook their computer up and download your last several hundred hours. We had a bad def sensor that would kick a code in heavy rain.

Has Carlos and Charleys reopened yet? It was a great spot next to La Hacienda.

Safe travels. Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
check engine light, engine, light