Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2015, 04:24 PM   #1

First shade failure

We had our first shade failure it is the entry door night shade.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2015, 04:49 PM   #2

That was our first failure too (about 2 weeks after we bought the coach). That is a bit of a bear to replace. I watched the techs do the job and they used a motorized screw driver with a very long shaft. I think the screws were star screws. I believe that rather than trying to get the screws back into the same holes, they made new holes.I think the other windows are much easier to do. I had heard the entrance door shade was a bear to do so I had NiRV techs do the job for me with Entegra CS providing the new replacement motors. Took the tech maybe 20 minutes to do the job. If you have a good RV repair site nearby, you might want them to do the job while you watch.

Gary

r
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:12 PM   #3
RBC

yeah just had my door night shade fail also
RBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:36 PM   #4

My issue is there are no rv dealers (except camping world, and a very poor campi g world at that) 4+hrs to orlando or tampa. I will call entegra tomorrow and see what they suggest. As I told my wife at least I knew about this issue going In.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:48 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
My entry door shades now both have red motors. The night shade failed for the third time a few weeks ago and CS sent me two red motors so that I could change both the day and night shades to red motors. Yes, the entry door as well as the toll window are the most difficult to replace.
Bill in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:01 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
As Gary said, for the front shades, an extension on the drill screwdriver is the trick. Get one and when you take it down, take the whole bracket, and then just drill larger screws in the old holes, or slightly displace the new ones. That's the way the tech did mine, or Entegra will reimburse you to have a mobile tech do it. JMHO, have a tech do it...until Entegra feels some financial pain from replacing these dang things, I personally don't think they have worked this as a priority with United Shades...but again, that is my personal opinion.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
One added benefit of the new Red motors, they move quicker than the Yellow motors. Our dinette window has the Yellow motors and the window on the back of the sofa has the Red motors which for the night shades are paired together. The sofa shade completes its cycle about 3 sec. faster than the dinette.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:27 AM   #8

Yesterday I replaced two motors with the new red ones. One on the toll screen and the other the night shade over the couch on the passenger side {DEQ}. I found these motors easier to change out. The one over the coach is easier as once you remove the valance you can get to the shades. Loosen the four end screws that secure the bracket holding the shades. Remove the two tiny screws that attach through the holding bracket and secure the metal end of the motor that slips into the bracket. This is the part you had to swap out if you had changed the motors before. Loosen the two screws attaching mechanism to the wall and slip the motor out. The new motor will slip in and does not need the two tiny screws. It locks in place. I uses 20 gauge male/female clips for the wiring since I don't know how many times more I will need to change out the motors.

As for the toll screen, yes a long, maybe 10 inch screwdriver with a square head bit makes life much simpler. I make a sling out of twine from the door handle which covers the CB panel and one from the door over the driver"s front. Remove the 6 screws and hang whole unit in the slings. Then remove shade as previously described.

One thing. These motors have a learning button like the front windshield shades. I was concerned with the night shade over the coach as you must operate all the front shades together but didn't seem to be a problem

Slings work well and don't lose interest and walk away when they are needed.
hikndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:16 PM   #9

well wouldn't you know it was Monday my wife scheduled me so hard and tightI only had 10 minutes for lunch and work past 5 so I did not have time to call Entegra today. hopefully I will have time to call them so my schedule looks unlikely. does anyone think entegra will start to send out MCD blind and motorsin place of the United shades units? I intend to ask when I speak with them. we had our Tiffin with the auto Motion shades for over a yearand had no failures. maybe if enough of us free 2016 entegra owners ask they will start switching us over to MCD if they are more reliable.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:21 PM   #10
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
does anyone think entegra will start to send out MCD blind and motorsin place of the United shades units?.
I was told by a very knowledgeable Entegra rep last week that the "red" motors that United Shade and Entegra are using as replacements now are the exact same motors that are used in MCD shades.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:33 PM   #11

That would be nice
Old 08-17-2015, 06:34 PM   #12

We have MCD Shades in our 09 Allegro Bus and have teplaced 7 motors so average 1 per year ! Just saying .

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayman View Post
We have MCD Shades in our 09 Allegro Bus and have teplaced 7 motors so average 1 per year ! Just saying .
Our tiffin had automotion shades and had no failures in over a year, I will have to see what happens , may n3ed to look at auto motion upgrade on our dime.(hopefully not)
Old 08-17-2015, 07:00 PM   #14

does anyone think entegra will start to send out MCD blind and motorsin place of the United shades units?

I did ask that question to Joyce because I have replaced so many. Her answer was that it was not practical to do that. Would be extremely expensive. Too much woodwork would have to be redone in order to fit them. All the valences would have to all be replaced per her.
I have not had a chance to measure a MCD shade against the United Shade sizes and took her for what she said.
Bpeter2 is offline   Reply With Quote