Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2019, 04:56 AM   #1

Flat Towing a 4x4 2018-19 Lincoln Navigator or Ford Expedition

Anyone towing either of these vehicles behind their MH?
Aussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 06:26 AM   #2

I’m towing a 2015 F-150, which is essentially the same chassis as the Expedition and Navigator.

The big change in the latest version is the use of the 10-Speed transmission.

In our case, the F-150 is a wonderful tow vehicle, and we barely know it’s attached, unless I look in the rear view camera.

Hopkins is making a plug-N-play taillight wiring kit. This kit plugs directly into the taillight harness using the correct plugs to mate to the factory wiring. This bypasses the previous requirement to cut and splice in a generic diode kit.

We use a Blue Ox baseplate. The big thing here is that you must remove the front bumper which includes the forward looking sensor. This sensor is used for the Adaptive Cruise. The key when removing this sensor is to avoid disturbing the mounting studs, which affect where it is aimed.

We started with a Blue Ox towbar which failed. Fortunately I discovered this failure while parked, and determined I didn’t care for the design of the towbar, and it’s somewhat subtle failure mode. In our case, the pin that holds the ball together, that retains the towbars was coming apart.

We switched to a Demco Excalibar, which is an excellent towbar in all respects. If I were buying one today, I’d shop for a NASA Ready Brute Elite with Brake. This is the bar Chuck uses, and after learning that I looked into them and decided it is a good design, with a very simple brake system incorporated.

As to braking systems, we currently use a Roadmaster 9100 series pneumatic cylinder that simply pushes on the brake pedal. It isn’t elegant, but it works each and every time.

I know many have used the Brake Buddy, and other similar systems. I can’t comment one way or the other on these.

Good luck in your search for the perfect setup.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 06:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Are they AWD or 4x4 with a transfer case ?

our AWD Explorer Sport CAN be towed flat, but it takes special procedure, whereas our jeep it's just put tranfer case in neutral and go !
Old 03-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #4

Bob

FMCA publishes a full manufacturers-based list of flat towable vehicles every January. Simply Google FMCA flat towing guide and you will get it. It relies on manufacturer supplied data on which of their products can be flat towed and also lists restrictions on how each vehicle can be towed.

I would think that the vehicle must be 4WD or electric to be towable without a drive line disconnect device.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:08 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Are they AWD or 4x4 with a transfer case ?
our AWD Explorer Sport CAN be towed flat, but it takes special procedure, whereas our jeep it's just put tranfer case in neutral and go !
Many people do not have the physical capabilities to go Jeep for the ease of towing. I had one, didn't have enough room for they way we use a toad. Some have no problem doing the "special procedure" to be comfortable and have the extra room. Hope they Aussies can get the help they need, they do have special needs and are special people.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:37 PM   #6

Flat Towing a 4x4 2018-19 Lincoln Navigator or Ford Expedition

Lincoln tells me the only Navigator that can be towed is the “L” 4x4.
I was also told by Lincoln engineers that I could not tow a Nautilus that we had agreed to buy so we had to settle for an 18 MKX. Then, after buying and rigging the MKX to tow, Lincoln engineers called again, about three weeks later and told me they’d had decided that the 2.7L engine the Nautilus CAN be towed. Needless to say I was pissed. So here I am stuck with a vehicle no longer made and could have had the 2019 replacement model. Blue Ox was great to work and tried to help me get it straightened out. I would call Blue Ox as they will not build a tow bar until the all JMHO manufacturer certified that it is towable. Be very careful dealer with Lincoln or their dealers.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #7

What I’m looking for is a step by step instruction for setting the navigator L to be towed by the coach. The instructions in the manual do not result in a correct result for towing.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:15 PM   #8

Bob, I’m going to PM my number to you. Give me a call and perhaps I can help.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #9

My MKX has weird instructions also. If you read the manual it gives you an either one or if that doesn’t work it is the other. What we found out is you do one and immediately do the other and it works. May be the same on the Navigator. JMHO
Old 03-16-2019, 04:05 AM   #10

Has to have the two speed transfer case. Comes with the heavy towing package with the expedition. Just bought one and went through this.
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 10:06 AM   #11

If anyone ever needs it I now have the correct steps for towing a Lincoln Navigator (the operator manual had one step out of place).
Old 03-25-2019, 03:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussies View Post
If anyone ever needs it I now have the correct steps for towing a Lincoln Navigator (the operator manual had one step out of place).
Can you post the correct steps?
Old 03-26-2019, 07:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussies View Post

Sounds like you have solved your problem. Great!
wla7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #14

2019 Navigator L 4x4 Towing Instructions

We make no guarantees and accept no liability that following the steps below will work for your own vehicle, and we advise you to check with your auto manufacturer to ensure that these steps are appropriate for your specific vehicle. Be advised that SEVERE damage to your vehicle's transmission may occur if you do not use the correct steps to place it in a four-wheel down tow mode before towing.

Here is a link to the steps we use when towing our 2019 Navigator L 4x4:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dbgn5kh0uq...ions.docx?dl=0

Safe travels and towing

Bob

Tags
ford, lincoln navigator, tow, towing