Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2017, 04:25 PM   #1

Flickering Ceiling LED lights in 2015 Anthem

I tried to update an earlier thread dealing with this same issue
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/flic...ml#post3523242
but the thread is too old and iRV2 server will not let the thread be updated.

I have had my fourth ceiling LED light start to flicker and I installed my last "spare" LED light of the three that I bought last spring. It seems that I am having a light stop functioning about every month or two as I've gone through 4 in about 6 months. I am going to call Jupiter lighting and see if these lights are truly under 5-year warranty and if so, get them all replaced under warranty. If they don't honor the warranty, then I am going to buy a larger quantity as they seem to be failing at a steady pace. I am also going to see if a slightly different model number has the 2 conductor plug as a standard item on one of the models so that I don't need to splice the old connector into the new light. This time, I soldered the connector onto the old plug and used heat shrink tubing to insulate the solder joints. The model of the light that I removed was the same as previously reported (04-102WW) and the cost of the three that I ordered previously was around $11.50 each.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
My Guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I tried to update an earlier thread dealing with this same issue
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/flic...ml#post3523242
but the thread is too old and iRV2 server will not let the thread be updated.

I have had my fourth ceiling LED light start to flicker and I installed my last "spare" LED light of the three that I bought last spring. It seems that I am having a light stop functioning about every month or two as I've gone through 4 in about 6 months. I am going to call Jupiter lighting and see if these lights are truly under 5-year warranty and if so, get them all replaced under warranty. If they don't honor the warranty, then I am going to buy a larger quantity as they seem to be failing at a steady pace. I am also going to see if a slightly different model number has the 2 conductor plug as a standard item on one of the models so that I don't need to splice the old connector into the new light. This time, I soldered the connector onto the old plug and used heat shrink tubing to insulate the solder joints. The model of the light that I removed was the same as previously reported (04-102WW) and the cost of the three that I ordered previously was around $11.50 each.

Gary
In my humble opinion you have a lose ground! Now the hard task is finding it. We are in a 2018 and my lights started to flicker and after 2 hours of pulling every access panel I could find, I found it! I found 4 different very loose grounds. No flicker lights now! This is not the 1st coach with flicker lights and that was also a loose ground!

Best of luck!
Jamie
JamieShannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:41 PM   #3

If the whole LED bulb / or strip is flickering together it might be a poor ground.
If individual LED in the array are flickering or are out they are likely blown due to higher voltage than they can handle.

I had too many inexpensive LED bulbs and strips fail and believe it's because they want to see a true & steady 12V. The 14+V when charging w/ alternator and/or chargers can cause problems unless they are designed to handle higher V.

I've had good luck w/ LEDs from MarineBeam.com. They list theirs as suitable for 10-30V and contain a control circuit to protect against over V or Amperage.
They also sell a stand alone control circuit that can be used to protect a large "strings" of lights - economics and whether you already have LEDs in place would favor one solution over another.

There obviously are other good suppliers - I think key is to find ones rated for 10-30V when purchasing.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 06:59 PM   #4

Ours seem to dim and flicker when we flush the toilet..
brodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:24 PM   #5
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Jupiter acknowledges that there was a batch of bad ones. I’ve replaced at least a dozen. Entegra sent replacements while under their warranty, and my most recent batch of 5 replacements was directly from Jupiter. During my discussion with Jupiter I tried to get them send me enough to replace all remaining from the batch they acknowledge is suspect, but they balked when they found out how many are in the coach. All the replacements have had the proper plug installed but are all a lower color temperature than the originals.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:42 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I have one light that flickers and then goes out every few months. Any thoughts on why just one goes out?
Old 11-05-2017, 07:50 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
I have one light that flickers and then goes out every few months. Any thoughts on why just one goes out?
Remove the light fixture and try re-crimping the connections. Sounds like one is loose.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 07:52 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Remove the light fixture and try re-crimping the connections. Sounds like one is loose.

Thanks
Old 11-06-2017, 04:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieShannon View Post
In my humble opinion you have a lose ground! Now the hard task is finding it. We are in a 2018 and my lights started to flicker and after 2 hours of pulling every access panel I could find, I found it! I found 4 different very loose grounds. No flicker lights now! This is not the 1st coach with flicker lights and that was also a loose ground!

Best of luck!
Jamie

Jamie,

Where did you find the loose grounds at?

Mark
MxChief66-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:46 AM   #10

There is no way, to me, to argue that my flickering light has anything to do with a bad ground. As someone previously argued, if the whole “hall string” was flickering (or any other flickering string), then I could buy the argument that it is a bad ground, but when it is an individual light, then it is the light and it’s internal circuitry that is the problem, and not its ground. The flicker is essentially random, with sometimes simply a dimming and other times going on and off completely very rapidly. This is probably the LEDs or the voltage control circuitry.

And while I certainly would be happy to buy another manufacturer, unless they are marketing an exact replacement for the shape and style of these Jupiter lights then I have no interest in them. I would like them to all look alike. All of my failures are in lights which are located in the vinyl ceiling, and none of them have been in the wood trim fixture in the ceiling (different diameter.?).

If the company has admitted that there was a known batch of bad bulbs at a specific point in time, then to me, we can probably assume that that is the answer and we don’t need to think much further. My coach was assembled in the fall of 2014 for a 2015 model coach which is a common vintage for people who report these problems. Luckily, they are an easy owner replacement item.

Gary
Old 11-08-2017, 08:13 PM   #11

I called John at Jupiter customer service to talk to him about my problems with strobing LED ceiling lights. He did confirm that those lights are warranted for 5 years and that they did have a batch of problem lights which had a problem on the circuit board which caused them to strobe/flash and were manufactured in the summer of 2014.

Also, when I have gotten those lights from Jupiter, they come with no plastic 2 conductor connector on the end. I asked if there was a different model number for the ones with a connector, and he said no, you just ask for the same model number light but with the connector already attached.

I am getting three free warranty lights to replace the three I already paid for but were under warranty.

Gary
Old 11-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a 2016 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 36db and also having problems with my LED ceiling lights. I have 21 on ceiling and less then half do not work or only 3 of the led lights work on each light. According to tech support all the light fixtures are bad. Ordered 6 new ones from REV group and all are bad. I used multimeter on all light fixtures and connectors and get a 13.8 reading. There is 9 leds in each light with just 3 leds lit, I can touch a led that is not lit with tip of multimeter and it makes 3 lights light up, but will go out shortly after removing multimeter tip. Any wisdom would be much appreciated.

Sick of using a flashlight inside a 2 year coach.
BBA5464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:12 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
will show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxChief66-1 View Post
Jamie,

Where did you find the loose grounds at?

Mark
Mark,

Call me when you get a chance and happy to talk your thru it.

thanks,

Jamie
JamieShannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:51 PM   #14

Will do Jamie. Hope you and Shannon are doing well.
MxChief66-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, led, light, lights