Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2016, 05:02 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Fluids, filters and what else to check

As we are now starting to roll in our 17 Anthem I am trying to get a handle on service related stuff. For example, I am wondering where to get a list of the filters I could possibly need for the Engine, Transmission and Generator. What should I be checking besides engine oil as I start putting on miles. What is the service schedule for items like oil changes and lubrcation? What items should I be carrying for emergencies? Fuel filters / water separators, that kind of stuff.

I really do want to get to Spartan training, but they are so booked that attending the Entegra specific class wll be a ways off. So I am concerned about what I should be doing in the meantime.

I am assuming that the dealer checked everything at delivery where the coach had ~ 1700 miles, but don't want to count on that everything was done. As we make our way to Box Elder, SD I now have ~ 3000 miles and a nagging feeling I am overlooking something.

From what I have read it seems that Speedco would be a good place to go for some of the oil changes and lubrication stuff, but right now "I don't know what I don't know" so what do I ask them to do.

Thanks all, we are just starting our 3rd. week full timing and while the learning curve is steep we are having a fantastic time.

Jim & Clatie
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 05:27 AM   #2

Jim

We all have a list of replacement items, and many of us have spare critical parts that we always have in the coach. Brobox (Chuck) has a list of replacement items and when he sees your post, he will be happy to repost his list or send you one back channel. I carry a spare of every filter on the coach, and I have a spare serpentine belt and AC belt for the Cummins and keep them down in the basement in their own plastic "tub" so if I ever need one of those due to a hole or some other problem, I have them with me.

SpeedCo is my go to place for all things lubrication. They are very reasonable, and very efficient.... all they do is lubes and engine service and tires. However, they may not have all the filters that you need, particularly the fuel filter on the Onan and maybe some others, so one time, I had to either not do a filter, or give them one of mine, and I was happy to give them my spare which I then replaced. A lot of the filters are much cheaper on Amazon or Fleetguard/Onan's own web site so search the web a bunch for your best prices on these sorts of items. You will also find on here, or on Spartan's web page, or in your manual a diagram on the zerks that need to be greased in a standard lubrication service at Speedco or anywhere else, and I have a photocopy of that diagram that I hand directly to the tech doing the undercoach service and ask him to count each zerk he finds and lubes (I think there are 22 or 24 zerks and the ones on the steering are often reported as being mised by lubers.

As far as things to watch, I watch my oil carefully, my DEF levels (visually and from the dash), and my coolant levels. You need to know what coolant you have in the Cummins as it is not standard and you should only replace it with exactly what you have in the coach. I carry a gallon or two down in the basement. I had my radiator changed (and leaks were common in 15s) and my coolant was changed to Cummings COMPLEAT OAT coolant. I changed the label on the expansion tank so that it reads the correct coolant. Also, I carry spare boiler fluid for the AquaHot. I think I have two gallons of that also, and my memory is that it is not mixed with water and used straight out of the bottle. I also routinely check my "sight glass" on the coolant fluid expansion tank.... mine cracked and then broke completely bringing me to a stop at a rest stop on I-95 until I could plug the leak. Also, start simply looking under your coach every time you walk around. Almost eveything that leaks ends up on the ground, so a simple visual check each time you walk around will tip you off to most problems before they become real problems. You are going to change the Onan oil filter at 50 hours which will be your first maintenance item probably. Check your hours on the control module and then it will remind you as you go. Of course, frequent tire pressure checks, and a 4-corner weigh are in your future. Many of us add a good tire pressure monitoring system. I simply punch in each time before I am ready to start each day into the tire pressure monitor and see the tire pressure in each tire..... if there is anything amiss, I check the pressure manually before I start out. I also have a laser temperature "gun" which I check tire temperature every time I stop for coffee, fuel, or just a trip to the potty.

Wait for someone to give you the spare parts list and that will get you most of the way you need to go.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:58 AM   #3

Jim

Oh, I am 300 miles away from my coach and the computer that has all that stuff on it or I would be happy to give it to you myself, but as the guys get up and moving around, someone will post it. For some reason, awake at 5:00 this morning and the DW is still an hour or two away from waking

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:27 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Here is one list. I have another updated one if I can find it. It may be on my computer at home. DO carry spare fuel filters, they can get plugged up with bad fuel at anytime. Also a spare Serpentine Belt. Any NAPA store can cross reference the number.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/upda...-a-239600.html
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Jim,

Very important to get your suspension bolts retorqued after 5000 miles.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:12 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Don, thanks for mentioning that, I am going to Spartan for the 8/1 training and when I talked with the service advisor I told them that I wanted this done.

Jim

Tags
fluid