RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2019, 06:52 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
FMCA Program for Michelin Tires

Going to replace the front tires on our 2017 Anthem. From looking at the list available on the Michelin chart it seems like the Pilote branding that we have now is no longer available.

Wondering what everyone is using out of the 6 or so choices of 315 80R 22.5 tires listed on the Michelin chart. Dealer is recommending the X Line Z product code #09807.

The other thing that I am finding interesting is that the FMCA discount program does not seem to be lower dollars than just buying direct from this dealer.

TIA - Jim

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2019, 07:30 AM   #2

Jim

Then things have changed a good deal. Yes, the X-Line Energy series are what came standard on my 19 Cornerstone, and I am very happy with the tires. I have them in all positions with 365s in the front.

Now, the last that I bought tires 5 or 6 years ago for my Dynasty, there was a substantial difference between FMCAs price and regular dealer quoted price. However, there have been a couple of reports on here in the past year that dealers have made the same price offer for several who bought. I am guessing that the dealers were not happy to have a lower price negotiated by FMCA and they might have been restrained (fair trade?) from being able to discount. It was a strange system.... you paid the FMCA price to the dealer which he had to claim and was supposedly below his normal wholesale purchase price and then was compensated for his loss by Michelin, or something strange like that. I am guessing that legit Michelin dealers found that a pain in the butt and negotiated a way to get their discount and the sale more quickly.... I hope that FMCA didnt lose it discount.

Keep us appraised of what you are finding out.... There should be substantial discount from MSRP.... my guess is that the dealers somehow can get the discounted price more quickly.

Gary

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I just replaced all of our tires in October. Fronts were 315/80R 22.5 Michelin X Line Energy Z LRL. At the dealership I used, the front tires would have been $877.83 each and I paid (through the FMCA program) $770.58 each. I also was charged by the dealership a total of $180.14; for labor, balance and valve stems.

So, it was worth it to me. If you can get the tires at the same price as the FMCA program, then go ahead.
DebbieMH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #4

Iíd definitely talk to the vendor as I was going to use the FMCA prgm but the local vendor beat the price by $45 per tire. This was for the Michelin Energy 295/80R/22.5. Definitely worth asking as it wonít hurt.
JBuchanan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:20 AM   #5

Jim

when you talk to the vendor, ask him how the FMCA program and Michelin have changed over the years as you have heard it was a more complicated process. My guess is the manager or salesman will know all about it, and then come back here and tell the rest of us about what you hear.

Gary
Old 12-03-2019, 08:28 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I saved about $3,000 over list price on 4 - 365/70 and 4 - 315/80 on my CC, but then nobody pays list either. Anyway I saved about $200 per tire from other quotes.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:21 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Jim

when you talk to the vendor, ask him how the FMCA program and Michelin have changed over the years as you have heard it was a more complicated process. My guess is the manager or salesman will know all about it, and then come back here and tell the rest of us about what you hear.

Gary
Gary, the first thing I did was ask the dealer for a quote on the 315 80R 22.5 tires and he said that he could do two X Line Z tires for 800 each.

Then I asked the dealer if they were able to work with the FMCA program. He said they were very familiar with the FMCA program and told me how to go about the process. He said that usually he can not come close to the program price and had absolutely no problem working through Michelin / FMCA and said it would be simple to do.

So I went to the Michelin price schedule for the FMCA program and the same tire was 797.80. I was surprised and now I am wondering about the value of jumping through the hoops to save 2 bucks a tire. I am also wondering about all of the FMCA hype about this and other programs they have like the Verizon cell service that I am getting 18 dollars cheaper than FMCA's price directly through Verizon.

I like FMCA and will remain a member for the FMCA Assist, but now I am seriously questioning the value of their special pricing programs.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #8

Well, that is why I asked you to look further into it. I can attest that it used to be a pretty big deal discount. However, there seemed like lots of paperwork on the dealer's part and he/she had to wait quite a while before getting reimbursed for the tires that they sold to you supposedly below dealer invoice.... so something has changed. You might now go back and tell him that the prices are virtually the same and has something changed in the way that he can match or beat the FMCA listed price. That would be important information or all of us.... your situation was certainly not the typical situation.... Maybe they have different types of dealers now.... one with higher prices and one with lower to match FMCA.... I wouldnt go through what I need to go through to do the FMCA for 2 bucks a tire... life is too short!!

And since FMCA went all types of RVs, I essentially find them of little use to me.... I have to belong to belong to several FMCA chapters, but I find their monthly magazine now has little in it to benefit me directly.

Gary
Old 12-03-2019, 11:07 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Jim,
Just curious why you are replacing your steer tires. Since you have a 2017 they should be good for many more years. Is there a defect or premature wear? Thanks
Grower15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #10

I have obtained quotes from several places and FMCA price is cheaper than what I could find. I intend to use the program very shortly.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:32 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I need to replace my steer tires because my alignment was out of adjustment and I essentially ruined my tires. Today I went to two tires stores, one an independent large tire dealer and the other a large dealer with good representation in the western U.S. I had a copy of the Michelin FMCA tire printout in hand. The independent dealer quoted a number that was about $80 higher per tire than the FMCA numbers so I asked him if they participated in the program. He said they did and outlined the process I need to follow and that he couldn't beat their price but would honor the FMCA price.

I then drove to one of the large regional tire dealers and followed the same procedure. The tire quote for the Michelins was over $200 per tire higher than the FMCA number. I again asked if they participated in that program and got a sneer followed by a "nope".

So, here in the Pacific NW in the smaller markets the FMCA program seems to win, whether it's as good as it used to be or not I don't care. And honestly, I'll enjoy giving the business to the smaller guy - he's more community conscious and wants to have my business.

John
Old 12-04-2019, 06:40 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Well, that is why I asked you to look further into it. I can attest that it used to be a pretty big deal discount. However, there seemed like lots of paperwork on the dealer's part and he/she had to wait quite a while before getting reimbursed for the tires that they sold to you supposedly below dealer invoice.... so something has changed. You might now go back and tell him that the prices are virtually the same and has something changed in the way that he can match or beat the FMCA listed price. That would be important information or all of us.... your situation was certainly not the typical situation.... Maybe they have different types of dealers now.... one with higher prices and one with lower to match FMCA.... I wouldnt go through what I need to go through to do the FMCA for 2 bucks a tire... life is too short!!

And since FMCA went all types of RVs, I essentially find them of little use to me.... I have to belong to belong to several FMCA chapters, but I find their monthly magazine now has little in it to benefit me directly.

Gary
Alec, bad alignment resulted in the DS steer tire rounding off to the point that I just don't trust it. The coach does have 40K miles - but agree that it should not need tires.

Gary, FMCA has seemed to resolve the paperwork for the dealer. When you go through FMCA you give Michelin your credit card number - then when you go to the tire dealer you give them the first digit and the last four digits and that's it.

For everyone else, I have only priced these through one dealer because they also work closely with Josams in Orlando that will be doing the alignment and mounting and balancing the tires. BTW - Josams charges ~ 75 dollars / tire to mount and balance.

BTW, the dealer will give me an additional 50 dollars / tire for the old cores so for anyone getting tires this would be something to ask for if replacing tires.
Old 12-05-2019, 09:43 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had my new Michelin steer tires installed yesterday. The process was so easy - I called Michelin about 9:30 in the morning, gave them a credit card and a coupon for my next great grandchild, called the tire dealer and herded the coach to the tire store. It took about 10 minutes to complete the paperwork for the dealer and I was done.

One thing I learned that I thought was important. The dealer told me they advise all of their truck customers to spray 303 on their tires at least once a month. Because it's water soluble it needs to be replaced. Since we get 32 days of rain a month periodically up here it washes off. He said especially since we spend so much time in hot and dry climates it will help maintain the tires.

Interesting huh?

John
Old 12-05-2019, 03:19 PM   #14

I've used 303 on my coach tires exclusively since new purchase. Many are recommending it as a good sun treatment. Diamond Shield also recommends for their product.

Gary

Tags
michelin, tires