Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2019, 12:16 PM   #1

Fresh tank filling while on city water?

Just received a call from my wife ( I am not currently w/the Coach....she is. ) that the V/T is registering ~75% in the fresh water tank. When we set-up on December 12th it had been at ~ 50%. We are hooked up to City water at the pedestal @ 38 PSI on the regulator, valve for city water in the vertical position, where it had been set since Dec. 12th, electric pump turned "OFF", a visual on the water tank shows ~75%, no residual leaking of water under the Coach, and faucets all operating properly. See-Level monitor had been replaced in M/Bury 12.6.18 before headed to Fla. due to a malfunction.
Is it common for the fresh water tank to fill slightly over an extended time frame?
Possible stuck valve check valve?
Possible leak in the by-pass valve?
Possible malfunctioning V/T?

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated.
It doesn't seem like a major catastrophe in the works, just thought I would get ahead of the curve on it, as I will be at the Coach beginning next week.

Thanx in advance.

John R.
2017 Cornerstone 45B - FMCA-#489135
2012 Scion XB - Pushing hard
jrugarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #2

My ‘14 CS did exactly same thing over a 5 day period on last trip. Interested to see responses.
ButchT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:23 PM   #3

Butch,

If I may ask, how did that situation resolve itself?
Old 01-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #4

If there is a small leak past the valve, looks like you may be adding less than a gallon a day. Why worry about it. If it does overfill, it will just run out the overflow allowing you a chance to shut off the park water and use your tank and pump. Sounds like you’d have better pressure off your pump anyway.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #5

If you look at your water pump there is a vertical line coming out of the output side, then down a few inches it turns vertical. Cut the short vertical line and install a 1/2 in Sharkbite check valve. Make sure the arrow on the check valve points away from the pump. The check valve is available at Lowe’s or Home Depot.
Your problem is the check valve in the pump is bypassing water back to the tank.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:51 PM   #6

Thanx Dennis,

As a new owner I am a bit hyper sensitive to any issues out of the ordinary, I appreciate the response.
Now I can tell my wife to put the wrench down and go back to drinking her Margarita!
Old 01-13-2019, 12:54 PM   #7

Thanx Rollin,

I'll take up that project next week when I am at the Coach.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:03 PM   #8

3 means of adding water to Fresh Water Tank
*Intentional via FILL
*Unintentional via FILL Leaking thru
*Unintentional via Pump Internal Check Valve not closing.....allowing backflow thru pump

Cure........
Repair/Replace leaking FILL
Replace Pump Check Valve....or install in-line check valve on pump suction line
OR
Fill fresh water tank and use pump.
Haven't used 'city water' connection since 2008.....always use pump---consistent pressure/flow regardless of where we are. No need for Regulator, hoses laying around/hooked up, easy to turn pump off when leaving RV, if pump cycles when NOT using system then you know you have a leak VS finding water damage later on.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrugarber View Post
Just received a call from my wife ( I am not currently w/the Coach....she is. ) that the V/T is registering ~75% in the fresh water tank. When we set-up on December 12th it had been at ~ 50%. We are hooked up to City water at the pedestal @ 38 PSI on the regulator, valve for city water in the vertical position, where it had been set since Dec. 12th, electric pump turned "OFF", a visual on the water tank shows ~75%, no residual leaking of water under the Coach, and faucets all operating properly. See-Level monitor had been replaced in M/Bury 12.6.18 before headed to Fla. due to a malfunction.
Is it common for the fresh water tank to fill slightly over an extended time frame?

It doesn't seem like a major catastrophe in the works, just thought I would get ahead of the curve on it, as I will be at the Coach beginning next week.

Thanx in advance.

John R.
I have the same issue. Was told that on our American Coach that it's an issue with the water pump. It has a check valve built in and if it fails water can slowly seep into tank.

It takes my 110 gallon tank anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, it varies.

I drain the tank from time to time.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:27 PM   #10

Thanx for all the reply's....

It looks like a minor fix with no immediate corrective action needed.
This forum is a tremendous resource and I hope in the future I can be of assistance to someone needing answers!

Also,
My wife was extremely happy to be able to put the wrench down and get back to relaxing!
Old 01-13-2019, 02:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrugarber View Post

Thanx in advance.

John R.
What has worked for us, when we are experiencing. shutoff valve leaking, we turn off city water at the spicket, to relieve pressure, then recycle the shutoff valve, then open the water spicket. Hope that helps.
tmark1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:40 PM   #12

Ahhhhh....

tmark,

That sounds like an easy 1st attempt, I'll give it a shot next week.

Thanx!
Old 01-13-2019, 02:53 PM   #13
srh

Newmar Owners Club
I must admit, I am not versed with the CS water system, but might it be possible that there is a switch to fill while you are connected to city water?

This is how it works in my Signature. I have a toggle switch. When the switch is in down position and the City water is on the valve to fill the tank is closed. When it is in the Up position it fills the tank automatically and the valve closes when the tank is filled. At both positions of the toggle switch, the City water, if on, is available in the coach without using the pump.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:50 PM   #14

srh,

Thanx,

I appreciate the response, although I'm quite sure that I only have a manually operated knob that is turned up to a vertical position when under city water fill, horizontally placed when not hooked up to the city.
Although each day is a learning event, I wouldn't be surprised if someone lets me know that I DO have a toggle switch somewhere and I wasn't even aware of it!

Tags
tank, water