Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #1

Friday is the day!!!!!

This friday is the day we pick up our 2014 Aspire 42RQB.

We are very excited!!!!!

In reading the threads, we have come up with a list of items we should check and some items we should bring with us in addition to the customer inspection we will be doing. We would like to know if there are other items we should add to the list. This will be our first "big rig" and any information would be much appreciated.

The list we includes:

Bring DirecTV box (get help with setup)
Bring DVD player
Bring a DVD and CD
Check for tape over battery on smoke detector
Check for vacuum bags; ensure its installed
Check gas stove and fridge
Check for coach filter tool
Install drinking water filter
Check if fuse is installed for the carbon monoxide detector

Thanks!!
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 06:27 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally View Post
This friday is the day we pick up our 2014 Aspire 42RQB.

We are very excited!!!!!

In reading the threads, we have come up with a list of items we should check and some items we should bring with us in addition to the customer inspection we will be doing. We would like to know if there are other items we should add to the list. This will be our first "big rig" and any information would be much appreciated.

The list we includes:

Bring DirecTV box (get help with setup)
Bring DVD player
Bring a DVD and CD
Check for tape over battery on smoke detector
Check for vacuum bags; ensure its installed
Check gas stove and fridge
Check for coach filter tool
Install drinking water filter
Check if fuse is installed for the carbon monoxide detector

Thanks!!
I thought you had a DVD (Blu-Ray) in both the main cabin and the bedroom?

Add a camera!!
Old 08-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #3

Thats a mighty short list, are you trading in an RV of some kind?
The coach most likely comes with a Blue Ray/CD player installed. No need to bring your own.
As far checking things, you will want to stay at the dealer for three or four days to check EVERYTHING you can possibly thing of, including the generator. There are lots pf buttons, every single one should be tested. Be prepared to stay a day or two longer if something requires a part order or something. Don't be in a rush to leave the dealer.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:55 AM   #4

We have two full days we can dedicate to at the dealer before we must leave for a previous engagement. We live 60 miles from the dealer which is a good thing.

After checking the list, yes, we do have a DVD player.

We have a 34ft toy hauler we are trading in; before that, we had a 33ft motorhome and a 26ft travel trailer. We have been watching the videos on YouTube and I know the dealer will be taking us through the customer inspection and training. We will check everything, bring my notebook and my camera.

Its just the nervous jitters in not wanting to forget something.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:31 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
It will probably be 95 degrees outside but turn on your furnace. Check to be sure you are getting warm air from all three registers. Turn on the floor heat, make sure you have reasonable even heat throughout the floor. (That one will take a few hours to give you an indication of heat.) Turn on the outside TV and radio. Run the big awning in and out a few times. Make sure you understand the double settings on your door. It will have a gentle close and then a hard close that you need when moving or if it's raining. Think it's officially called a two stage latch but I had no idea they existed until I was shown....after getting water leaking in during a hard rain. Make sure they show you where the circuit breaker is on the generator. We can't remember if they showed us where the invertor was located during the PDI but, if not, make sure you find out since all your wiring for TV's, etc. live in that same area.

Good luck - and welcome to the family! According to Joyce, as of Friday, there were 1,004 registered Entegras out there. We're growing a big family!
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:36 AM   #6

You are an experienced RVer but I agree, your list is extremely short.

If you take the brochure and other literature on the coach, make a checklist from that and have the dealer demonstrate to you as working. The operative word is "demonstrate". Use the checklist and be firm on the demo. This includes the location of every breaker and switch etc.

Suggest you tell them in advance this is what you are expecting, (agree on the checklist before starting) this way if they do not want to be embarrased, they will check and fix things before you get to the dealer.

I have been down that road and if they know in advance you want to see everything and things might go smoother. For example in one instance, the dealer did not have any water in the coach so he could not demonstrate the macerator working. He put some in and showed it worked. The same applied to the water pump and water heater etc. And he had advance warning, how are you going to demonstate the pump or the ice maker etc works without water for example.

The last time we did a handover, my DW had the video camera and recorded everything with closeups as necessary. This worked well and was usefull later on. Recommend everyone use a video camera for this purpose.

Camping overnight in the rig in the LOT and double checking everything yourself is also a good idea.

Good luck - and the video you take will come in handy down the road.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:00 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Entegra Owners Club
We are picking up our new Aspire after Labor Day. In our case we are trading in a 40' DP so a lot of things are the same. Ask about a hub nut wrench. That is a must have for a Freightliner but I don't know on a Spartan. I intend to ask and have that on my question list. I hadn't thought about checking for a bag in the central vac system--thanks. I hope you have a knowledgeable PDI person. Check that every one of the windows will crank open. I found one that wouldn't in the floor model I looked at.
Kuppajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #8

Thanks for the info and that's a great idea; set clear expectation before we arrive. I'll have them send me their inspection sheet and make sure water is in the unit and available as well. Didn't think about the water; I would have expected it but it I don't mention it, it might not happen.

I did go for a test drive and it is really smooth, much easier to drive than my truck and toy hauler.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
If the rig is leveled when you arrive, pull up the jacks and try the auto level. We didn't, and got a pretty wild ride the first time we tried it.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finally View Post
Thanks for the info and that's a great idea; set clear expectation before we arrive. I'll have them send me their inspection sheet and make sure water is in the unit and available as well. Didn't think about the water; I would have expected it but it I don't mention it, it might not happen.

I did go for a test drive and it is really smooth, much easier to drive than my truck and toy hauler.
And remember a movie camera really helps. Not just for the demo, but later on.

I have gone through many Factory Acceptance Tests (FATs) on some very complicated aviation systems and it is not only a good idea, it is essential to have a good and agreed to test plan. This is all part of the process.

Every feature on every system and subsystem should be in the test plan. For example it should not just say demo entertainment system. Each feature of the Ent system should be listed in the plan and demonstrated. Such as insert DVD and play output on the TV. Have a checklist to ensure audio is coming from each speaker and so on. It can and should be detailed.

I applied my background knowledge to my RV acquisitions. You each have a copy and give every test a number in a WBS format. Some RV dealers thanked me for coming back with such an organized way of doing the delivery process and since then, one dealer sent out his checklist, that I helped him create in advance. He said it really improved his QA process and customer satisfaction rating. His policy from then on was to pretest per the list so the handover to the customer would go smooth. It saved him time and money in the long run, plus getting more satisfied customers. The sales people raved about this process and used it as a selling point. If a dealer is ISO Certified, I suspect he has a finite and complete delivery process, but this may not be given to the customer up front as a precursor to delivery.

My suggestion, if a test is not demonstrated to your satisfaction, just make a comment and come back to this item later. It is not uncommon to have discrepencies but a clean FAT/Delivery usually happens when the vendor has gone over the FAT/DELIVERY checklist before you arrive. It is in his best interest to Pass the first time.

Failed items should be documented with an agreed followup action plan. Cash flow should be based on the successful completion of the deliverable, so if the vendor cannot repair the defect at the time of delivery, I suggest some cash holdback should be used to ensure the work will be done. Good to have leverage.

And indeed have the dealer send you his checklist and add to it. Don't send your list first because if you do miss something, it may not be demonstrated.

Hope my comments help. And again, remember the camera and you have your own clipboard to record and comment on the tests as you go through it.

Good luck.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post

And remember a movie camera really helps. Not just for the demo, but later on.

I have gone through many Factory Acceptance Tests (FATs) on some very complicated aviation systems and it is not only a good idea, it is essential to have a good and agreed to test plan. This is all part of the process.

Every feature on every system and subsystem should be in the test plan. For example it should not just say demo entertainment system. Each feature of the Ent system should be listed in the plan and demonstrated. Such as insert DVD and play output on the TV. Have a checklist to ensure audio is coming from each speaker and so on. It can and should be detailed.

I applied my background knowledge to my RV acquisitions. You each have a copy and give every test a number in a WBS format. Some RV dealers thanked me for coming back with such an organized way of doing the delivery process and since then, one dealer sent out his checklist, that I helped him create in advance. He said it really improved his QA process and customer satisfaction rating. His policy from then on was to pretest per the list so the handover to the customer would go smooth. It saved him time and money in the long run, plus getting more satisfied customers. The sales people raved about this process and used it as a selling point. If a dealer is ISO Certified, I suspect he has a finite and complete delivery process, but this may not be given to the customer up front as a precursor to delivery.

My suggestion, if a test is not demonstrated to your satisfaction, just make a comment and come back to this item later. It is not uncommon to have discrepencies but a clean FAT/Delivery usually happens when the vendor has gone over the FAT/DELIVERY checklist before you arrive. It is in his best interest to Pass the first time.

Failed items should be documented with an agreed followup action plan. Cash flow should be based on the successful completion of the deliverable, so if the vendor cannot repair the defect at the time of delivery, I suggest some cash holdback should be used to ensure the work will be done. Good to have leverage.

And indeed have the dealer send you his checklist and add to it. Don't send your list first because if you do miss something, it may not be demonstrated.

Hope my comments help. And again, remember the camera and you have your own clipboard to record and comment on the tests as you go through it.

Good luck.
Great advice, we won't be picking ours up until Oct but I will follow your suggestions, Thanks very much
Tom
Swenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #12

I will also bring my pyrometer to get accurate measurements rather than just the real feel. We are really excited; can't wait!!!
Old 08-25-2013, 09:44 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
RV swap day

This sounds stupid but it happened to me. After you sign all the papers and get your Delivery Checkout, and correct a few problems you begin Transfering stuff and....junk, from the old RV to the new. My DW tried to best match drawers and cabinets for old stuff in a new place in a logical format and it takes some "cyphering" . After about 50 trips and 30 interuptions you just want outta there. The problem was I left a few power cords, adapters, blankets, even bathroom stuff in the old RV. My suggestion is to slim down the gear in the old RV to the min first and start real early in the day. By sundown I was ready for several adult beverages!
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 AM   #14

I agree Hogdriver. We took everything out of the lower bays except essentials before we left home. Then went to Walmart and bought several plastic tubs to use to transfer stuff with. Next set out a prioritized list with the top of the list being items that DW knew where she wanted them. Transferred those first and on down the line. Bottom line when we got to STUFF we left it on tubs in the basement for another day. Worked great for us, actually got home with some stuff still in the tubs and decided to get rid of most of it! My point, plan ahead, we still got worn out and a couple of the Orlando RV guys helped us move several of the last things and a lot of stuff. It is a bigger job than many of us realize. Must have been for us as went from there to Texas where I had a heart attack and a 5 bypass heart operation. LOL