Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2013, 05:01 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan JS View Post
Thank you every one for the advice. Amazing stories all. I am going to ask the Spartan dealership if they perform three axle alignment in addition to getting four quarter weights and tire psi recommendations. If the Spartan dealer at Palm RV only evaluates the front then I will directly call Spartan.
You see there previously were two affiliated shops but now the web link only list two nearby.
I am inclined to take it to the Pompano shop that does Spartan three axle but wasn't listed and if it is grossly misaligned getting it covered under warranty. At least I know they do accurate work and I will be saving my tires and my family lives .
Truthfully if it is offset out of the shop it should be covered.
How does a Spartan authorizes dealership manage to only do front wheel and still be recommended by Spartan?
Alan,

If you have any question about the quality of service or coverage under warrantee, CALL Spartan CS. Nothing but good things to say about Scott Wixson and his folks. I think you'll find that they'll make it right with the who and the what associated with your alignment actions. JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2013, 04:41 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I think we, who have experienced the heartbreak of poor alignment, all agree to this one fact. Soon after you get your coach and load it with your stuff get the alignment done, even before your first trip.

And if your first trip is to the chassis manufacture and then the coach manufacturer it will be a fun and educational experience with the reward of getting your early issues resolved quickly and with satisfaction.

Wonderful input everyone. Great reading and advice.
Old 09-28-2013, 05:42 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Good post and served as a reminder to me. I cupped the front tires on my TS in the first 6,000 miles do to alignment. The TS drove fine, but the front tires didn't like the factory settings. I think I will schedule the alignment with Jasom when I pick up the coach. Thanks to this post the alignment has been added to my "pickup the coach" list.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:39 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
I am picking up my new 44U next week

It was driven from the factory to Hershey and then to Buffalo RV

It has. 970 miles on it.. I have no idea who drove it or what kind of pot holes and curbs it went over.

Few questions :

1. Should I get the coach a full alignment next week ?

2. Where should I get the work done near Buffalo ?

3. Is Buffalo RV an authorized Spartan service location ?

Curt
Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:23 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
You don't need a Spartan service center to get it aligned. The recommendation is to check alignment with a typical trip load in it.

I would find a place closer to home so you can start developing a relationship; alignment check is an annual thing.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
You don't need a Spartan service center to get it aligned. The recommendation is to check alignment with a typical trip load in it. I would find a place closer to home so you can start developing a relationship; alignment check is an annual thing.

That's what I needed to know.

Thanks

Curt
Old 09-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Perhaps another approach would be to drop in at a few shops and talk to either the main service writer of just the head of the service department. See if they can recommend a place that does semi's or other types of heavy duty vehicles. They will usually have the best techs and the 18-wheelers generally watch that stuff because of the number of miles they put on vehicles each year and the high cost of those tires. Maybe checking with a few trucking companies in your area would lead to a good shop. Usually word of mouth in areas like this can lead you to a good shop. I checked at the local Ford dealer since they don't have the equipment but they ran the ticket through their dealership so I could pay the alignment shop (warranty). As somebody pointed out in another thread, "It is the owners responsibility to do their homework when looking for MH's, parts, and service work."

The shop that did our MH was a heavy truck alignment and frame shop. They did everything old school with no computers and only hand operated equipment. The guy that did mine said, "When I can set the alignment as I know it needs to be set and the driver does not bend something by accident they should get get 150,000 miles on the steer tires with no abnormal tire wear." I watched the guy work for 3 hours on my coach ($125) and was impressed with his skill, care and concern for doing it correctly. I know and taught wheel alignment so my opinion is somewhat of an educated one. I don't know it all but I new enough to ask questions and knew what he was doing.
Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

TeJay
Old 09-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Our coach pulled to one side from the day we took delivery. Had all three axles aligned at our local facility (not Spartan but a shop we had used with a former MH after an encounter with a suicidal deer). They did a great job and Entegra covered the alignment under warranty. Would have been worth it if we had needed to cover the costs ourselves. It was a LOT less than a new set of tires!
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
I suggest you call Entegra CS and see who they recommend near Fayetteville. They are building a pretty good network.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 05:08 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisgeiger View Post
I am picking up my new 44U next week

It was driven from the factory to Hershey and then to Buffalo RV

It has. 970 miles on it.. I have no idea who drove it or what kind of pot holes and curbs it went over.

Few questions :

1. Should I get the coach a full alignment next week ?

2. Where should I get the work done near Buffalo ?

3. Is Buffalo RV an authorized Spartan service location ?

Curt
Congratulations on your new coach.

I hope someone in your area is seeing your post. It is very important to have the chassis aligned all the way around and correctly. Your tire wear and drive comfort are greatly affected by how accurately this is accomplished. Manufactures claim that the loading of the tag is automatic but I have read several posts where this had to be corrected by the service center because the steering was not comfortable. Even if you think your coach is handling well, after a well done alignment you might be pleasantly surprised.

As mentioned above, load the coach for a typical trip. Try to keep things in a home spot to keep the weight locations stable. This will preserve your alignment. Have a 4 point weigh done when you have the alignment and get the correct tire pressure for your weight. Have the height adjustment done. This affects the pull.

Let me restate this in a more organized manner: Find a good shop that will weigh the coach at each hub, set the correct tire pressure, set the correct ride height, align the axles to be true to each other and align the front end.

Not all shops are equipped or trained to do all of this. I have had several alignments and none were as complete or effective as the one I had done at the factory servicenter for Freightliner in Gaffney, SC last week. Here is the Spartan service center: Spartan Chassis

Consider going there on your first trip. It will be well worth your time and trouble and a great way to get peace of mind. All your questions will be answered by those who truly know your chassis.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 09-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Rick

Much appreciated.

Curt
Old 09-29-2013, 06:32 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Great post (#24) by Curt. That's good information for you to heed. Don't spend time and $$$ chasing your tail by going to facilities that can't handle correctly your type of chassis. That's why in my post I suggested ways to find a decent alignment shop. Curt suggested where to go to get it done correctly.

On the 4 corner weighing. It's listed in the WBGO manual to weigh front axle, then all 4 wheels then rear axle. Then weigh one side and subtract the full weight from the side weight to get the other two wheels. That should give you each wheel. I have not done it yet but it sounds reasonable. Some of the Cat scales don't give you enough room to do each wheel.

The weighing is related to alignment so maybe some can weigh in on that part as well.

TeJay
Old 09-29-2013, 09:52 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
New 44 U

Curt

I'd pick up the new RV and drive down to Cape Hateras or Pamlico Sound, maybe Myrtle Beach, setup camp, grill a few burgers, drink a beer and......enjoy your new Entegra. I don't think I'd mess with the alignment for 6-12 months.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogdriver View Post
Curt I'd pick up the new RV and drive down to Cape Hateras or Pamlico Sound, maybe Myrtle Beach, setup camp, grill a few burgers, drink a beer and......enjoy your new Entegra. I don't think I'd mess with the alignment for 6-12 months.
An earlier post also suggested unless it is a "battle at the wheel" let it settle in to place and get the chassis lubes, bolts re torqued, wheels aligned , with belts and hoses inspected also after a spell.
At Orlando RV Robin generally suggested front tires 115, drive axle 95 and tag 85 psi but that is disregarding any specific weight or alignment so I am remiss on getting weights. Break in period was told to be as the initial 1000-1600 mile drive to us the consumers. Question is how much to do?