Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2015, 09:18 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Front Windshield Temporary Tint Product

We recently tried a relatively inexpensive heavy plastic material we have found that dramatically reduces the temps up from in the coach.

Company name: Global Window Film

URL: windowfilm.com

Cost: approx $80

You can order samples (which we did) to prove to yourself that the film works to lower the temp

The order was plenty to cover our front window (54" by 10').

It is a static cling application using a spray bottle with soapy water and a small squee jee on the inside of the window; it is reusable. The hardest part was getting it off the roll the first time. We took a sufficient amount off the roll and then used the Magna Shade front shade as a pattern on the floor of the clubhouse to cut the size of the window covering.

Results: in 100-104 degree temps (facing West) with #1 and #3 AC on, with Magna Shade only, we were experiencing 86-89 degree temps in the front of the coach. Lowering the day shades (which obscures the view to some degree), we didn't see much relief...maybe 85-86 degrees. After applying the film, we have rarely seem front temps above 83 (on a 103 degree day with #1 and #3 on). Most days in the high 80s and low 90s, our experience has been that the AC#1 has been keeping the coach at 78-80.

Bottom line...as a product review, we've been pleased with the expenditure. keep in mind, we are parked for extended time in our Summer site. It would be a little more problematic if we were taking down and putting it up every two or three days; a week, not so much. It is see through as opposed to having a Magna Shade and the day shade down.

All JMHO.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2015, 09:26 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Excellent report Dave and something I could have used for the past 2 weeks waiting for an A/C replacement. That would be a great product for Snowbirds, or summer residents in areas over 100 degrees where it is not suppose to happen!
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:30 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
My experience...Pacific NW last two Summers and Michigan Summer before last...maybe Northern Maine may be the only place where you don't get 90-100+ temps. Works well in the 80s and 90s as well.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:40 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
Dave,

So for an extended stay, it is effective at reducing the normal amount of radiant energy that enters the environment and gets converted to heat energy...I assume it works by increases the reflec. Is it something that one could drive with, or need it be removed before moving the coach?

If so, can it be removed, stored until you get to your next extended stay, and then reapplied?

I would not want to do a one-time use product. But if it can be removed and reapplied at the next extended stay location....I'm down for that!

That big heat sink in the front is something we all need to ameliorate.

Pat

Pat Bauer, President
Entegra Coach Owners Association
2013 Aspire DEQ
Ford Edge
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:40 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Pat, as you know, we have Magna shades. These reduce incoming, supposedly 85%. I really don't know how true those claims are, as most of us still get pretty warm from incoming facing South or West. Another OP suggested the aluminum foil approach, cheaper, but you can't see through it. When you put the day shades down, with magna shades installed, it really distorts the view. This heavy plastic film comes in three different "colors"/shades. We chose the most reflective one, so, if it performs as claimed, it is further reducing the UV (polarized I believe) and incoming radiation (through reflection). We have found that it is useful in further reducing the temps up front. We've had some days in the 90s and about 4 days at 100+.

I think you could drive with it on, but as is pointed out in the literature, a tinted front windshield is illegal beyond what cars, trucks, etc come with. We haven't packed ours yet as we have been stationary with it now for about a month. We will pull down when we travel; roll it up on the spool it came on, and we have every confidence it will roll off and reapply as is suggested in the literature.

We'll be moving out in Sep and back in a stationary position in Vegas in November for sure...may go there for a week in Sep before heading back East for a month and a half. I will certainly follow up with what we see from a re-deployment perspective. But our initial impression is pretty good, and at 80 bucks, that's a pretty cheap alternative to try out.

Before we bought, we ordered the three types available in samples. They sent us three 6X8" sheets. We put them on the window exposed to the sun, with the Magna shade on and Beth remembers a 10 degree difference between the window with Magna versus the window with Magna and the reflective version of the film. That is measuring with the heat gun we have. I am not crazy about the reliability in absolute temp of the heat gun, but since this is a relative difference, the difference measured makes sense.

All, JMHO on the product, but as you know, I have some background in the radiation arena, and the physics in this makes sense.