Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2018, 12:00 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Fuel Additive

I have been curious about needing a fuel additive to my coach; then I came across this.

Cummins Endorses Two Fuel Additives

Cummins Endorses Two Fuel Additives - TopNews - Fuel Smarts - TopNews - TruckingInfo.com

Anyone use this additive?
"If you ain't the lead dog, the view never changes".
paparazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2018, 12:35 AM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparazi View Post
I have been curious about needing a fuel additive to my coach; then I came across this.

Cummins Endorses Two Fuel Additives - TopNews - Fuel Smarts - TopNews - TruckingInfo.com

Yup.
And I add a bio-cide to the mix every time I'm going to be sitting for any length of time.
(I gelled up using Howes,so went back to Power Service (I double up on the dosage when using bio-diesel).
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paparazi View Post

I started using it last fall but I have been sitting for 3months, waiting to see if it helps my fuel mileage
Surmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:58 AM   #4

I don't believe you need to add any fuel additive if you are using your coach/Cummins on a reasonably frequent basis. However, if your coach is going to sit for a long time (6 months, 9 months, a year), then you probably need to be adding a bio-cide. I owned a sailboat for many years which had a 25 gallon tank and a 3 cylinder diesel Kubota engine, and because a sailboat is under wind power almost all of the time, and used the auxilliary diesel only to come into port and back out of port, the diesel tank rarely gets changed. Because of low fuel use, diesel will act as a medium for the formation of vegitation that grows in the diesel and the tank...... To keep that from happening, we always added a biocide when we added diesel to keep the whole tank and fuel filters from getting jammed with gunk.

Other than that, I dont think it is necessary or advisable to add to our motorcoach tanks. Then again, my coach rarely sits for more than a month or a month and a half before we put some serious mileage on it and drain the tank low and add more fresh fuel. JMHO

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:31 AM   #5

Foretravel Owners Club
@ Gary Jones..
The real reason for the Biocide is the biodiesel...Pure #2 diesel not so much.
In a marina environment the diesel is rarely a strong mix of bio blended fuel.
Biofuel is a nasty enabler for Algae... warm moist weather combined with less than a full tank of fuel and bio diesel is the perfect storm...
This is true whether it is a motor vehicle tank or an underground storage tank at a filing station...Over the last few years I have had drivers find bad fuel in Truckstop/retail fuel suppliers underground (and above ground) storage tanks.
Once you catch that "bug" it can spread faster than a bad cold.

All it takes is getting a bad dose of fuel (you might not even know that the fuel is bad or is contaminated with algae) until you start dealing with plugged filters...
And ridding the tank/fuel lines and filters of algae can be a frustrating and expensive experience..
As some smart person once said...
"An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure"

YRMV
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
@ Gary Jones..
The real reason for the Biocide is the biodiesel...Pure #2 diesel not so much.
In a marina environment the diesel is rarely a strong mix of bio blended fuel.
Biofuel is a nasty enabler for Algae... warm moist weather combined with less than a full tank of fuel and bio diesel is the perfect storm...
This is true whether it is a motor vehicle tank or an underground storage tank at a filing station...Over the last few years I have had drivers find bad fuel in Truckstop/retail fuel suppliers underground (and above ground) storage tanks.
Once you catch that "bug" it can spread faster than a bad cold.

All it takes is getting a bad dose of fuel (you might not even know that the fuel is bad or is contaminated with algae) until you start dealing with plugged filters...
And ridding the tank/fuel lines and filters of algae can be a frustrating and expensive experience..
As some smart person once said...
"An ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure"

YRMV
X2.

We had a bad problem with our last coach and it took over a year and several filter changes to work out. I don’t add anything when we are running through tank after tank on a cross country run. When I fill it the last time prior to parking, I will drop some additive in.

Our last coach had a clear sight bowl and it would get so bad I started carrying a new sight bowl. The bio fuel gels very badly.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:05 AM   #7

Glad this discussion came up. I didn’t think about the bio diesel part of it and how that can contribute to the growth of the algae or whatever it is in the tank. I have some biocide in the basement, but never use it unless I am parked with less than a full tank in high humidity for more than a couple months which is rare.

Can anyone comment on a general rule of thumb you might use when adding the biocide? For instance, what length of time do you use when parked before using? The product I have only calls for a very small amount for my 100 gallon tank. Seems odd, but it must not take much of that stuff.
swberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by swberry View Post
Glad this discussion came up. I didn’t think about the bio diesel part of it and how that can contribute to the growth of the algae or whatever it is in the tank. I have some biocide in the basement, but never use it unless I am parked with less than a full tank in high humidity for more than a couple months which is rare.

Can anyone comment on a general rule of thumb you might use when adding the biocide? For instance, what length of time do you use when parked before using? The product I have only calls for a very small amount for my 100 gallon tank. Seems odd, but it must not take much of that stuff.

I add biocide the last fill up before the end of a trip, whether parking for a few nights, or months. Probably overkill, no pun intended, but better safe than sorry. As you mentioned, the amount of biocide you have to add is minimal, and inexpensive. Why take the chance?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:16 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Friend of mine has a beautiful vintage (over 25 years old) Blue Bird Class A. He was having serious engine issues, both the Generator and the Main Engine. Idled ok but call for power and ... That's all folks.

Well I pointed to the primary fuel filter (Mechanic had already replaced the secondary filter) and he pulled it out. Covered with the stuff.

One bottle of Bio-cide later (and he was good to go. He did neerd a few more filter replacements.

Seems the OIl companies used to ad a bit of that at teh refirenery but in order to increase profits.. no longer.

Same with Cold Weather. Diesel can gel. oil companies used to add ant-Gel, but no longer. More profit in letting you add it.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:35 AM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
I've been using Diesel Kleen Cetane Boost ever since Low Sulfur fuels were introduced. about 190,000 miles ago. 1 qt every fill up.
I swear it makes a difference you can feel the way my Engine Runs.
I always park my Old Bird with a full tank, never thought about a Biocide Treatment. The longest mine sits is over the winter storage (90 days).
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:38 AM   #11

Isn't it possible to not buy biodiesel??? I am going to start studying to see what places sell non bio diesel......I can buy non ethanol gas......

Mitch
Hdmod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:35 AM   #12

Mitch the only place we found true #2 was in Montana and Wyoming. This was on our Tiffin with an 8.3L ISC380. I suspect they had #2 because of the cold weather.

And yes, the coach ran better, got better MPG, and started and idled easier.

I don’t care what anyone says, biodiesel is absolute garbage fuel.

If I could find #2 legally down south I would happily buy it.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #13

I recently used DieselKleen for the first time on a trip from north Texas to North Carolina and back. Didn't notice a huge increase in mileage or power. Maybe 5% increase in mileage. Hard to tell. My main reason is to keep injectors clean. Whether or not it does anything . . . ??? Side note: My plan is to not use it all the time but every 3rd or 4th tankful.
Anthem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Mitch the only place we found true #2 was in Montana and Wyoming. This was on our Tiffin with an 8.3L ISC380. I suspect they had #2 because of the cold weather.

And yes, the coach ran better, got better MPG, and started and idled easier.

I don’t care what anyone says, biodiesel is absolute garbage fuel.

If I could find #2 legally down south I would happily buy it.

-Matt
I was not aware that you could NOT buy straight #2 from anywhere in the USA........hmmmm Cenex is big up by us and they offer a Premium fuel which is very good......I will get on their site and see what states they cover

Mitch
Hdmod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel