Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2018, 08:23 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverhome2 View Post
I drove truck for years so filling a tank with fuel is no mystery. Insert the nozzle fully into the inlet tube. Hold the nozzle in tight with your gloved hand. Start the flow evenly to full on and keep it there. Set the nozzle to the full flow setting but keep your hand on it just in case. When the nozzle shuts off do not try to squeeze more in. This is what leads to over filling causing leakage and unsightly dirt buildup. Remove the nozzle slowly when done so any fuel held in it can drain into the tank and not on the side of the coach. This is not a very hard thing to do and it has always worked faultlessly.
You are in for a real treat, or you will be leaving with 1/2 tank of fuel! It has nothing to do with the way heavy duty trucks with dual tanks are built. This is my second and neither has been able to accomplish that feat. I could always fill construction trucks and even a Ford F450, but not these baby's.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #44

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
You are in for a real treat, or you will be leaving with 1/2 tank of fuel! It has nothing to do with the way heavy duty trucks with dual tanks are built. This is my second and neither has been able to accomplish that feat. I could always fill construction trucks and even a Ford F450, but not these baby's.

Agree. There’s no definitive solution to this problem. Whatever causes the restriction in the line going to the tank, narrow hose or curved hose, it’s enough to create a lot of back pressure (and back flow) at a high flow rate. The nozzle can’t shut off fast enough so fuel is forced back up the fuel line and down the side of my coach.

I’ve found that even on the first nozzle detent the flow restriction in the line to the tank can be great enough to cause a fuel back flow even as the nozzle is shutting off.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #45

Entegra Owners Club
I think a lot of these mentioned problems across a very similar line of Entegra coaches all has to do with the guy who installed the filler hose and vent hose to each side of the coach. A few inches of extra length or a slight kink or hump in the hoses can make all the difference in the world as to how it will fill. Checking underneath on each side for any slight variance in the routing and/or shortening one line or both may help.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 02:44 PM   #46

I use the same method I used on my boat when we were fortunate enough to find a commercial pump. I was and am able to avoid backsplash my inserting just the tip of the pump into the fuel filler tube. By the tip I mean 3-4 inches, enough to catch the ring encircling the nozzle. I usually use the last detent and don't top off as that will get a backsplash for sure. Not sure why this works but it seems to. It's also easier to hear the hiss of escaping air as you fill up. Marinas are a whole lot more aware of overflow than your typical truck stop.
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #47

Entegra Owners Club
Don, you are correct. I did have a slight dip in the vent hose on the TS that caused an early kick back. Removed the vent hose, shortened it about 1/2, reconnected it and that ended the problem.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrevolution View Post
Have you tried it? Most of the time I'm not in a big hurry, but I've done it once or twice and never blown fuel out the other side. Fuel backing up on the nozzle is plenty of back pressure to kick the nozzle off.
Yes, I did, and I try to warn others about my stupid mistake. I was pretending I was a big truck driver and filed my one transverse tank from both sides. If you think about it, one side will ALWAYS shutoff before the other, I mean, what are the odds that both sides will shutoff at the EXACT same instant -- we call it zero. And that's what happened to me. Curb side shutoff, I was on the road side, it was still pumping -- and flowing out the curb side.

HINT: you are not driving a big truck. They have separate tanks, so two nozzles makes sense. You only have one tank. And it's a puny 90 gallons, not like the real man's twin 120s. And you're in an RV, you shouldn't be in that big of a big hurry. Two nozzles are asking for EXACTLY what happened to me. But, be my guest, learn my lesson on your own.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 04:54 PM   #49

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Yes, I did, and I try to warn others about my stupid mistake. I was pretending I was a big truck driver and filed my one transverse tank from both sides. If you think about it, one side will ALWAYS shutoff before the other, I mean, what are the odds that both sides will shutoff at the EXACT same instant -- we call it zero. And that's what happened to me. Curb side shutoff, I was on the road side, it was still pumping -- and flowing out the curb side.

HINT: you are not driving a big truck. They have separate tanks, so two nozzles makes sense. You only have one tank. And it's a puny 90 gallons, not like the real man's twin 120s. And you're in an RV, you shouldn't be in that big of a big hurry. Two nozzles are asking for EXACTLY what happened to me. But, be my guest, learn my lesson on your own.
Once again, the comment you’re addressing is about loosening the opposite side cap to relieve some of the back pressure, not filling from both sides.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #50

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
Once again, the comment you’re addressing is about loosening the opposite side cap to relieve some of the back pressure, not filling from both sides.
No, the comment is about having two sides of the same tank open while filling. If air can get out, fuel can get out. Maybe your rig is different, mine has straight steel fill necks about 6 inckes long, each with a three-tab screw on cap, on opposite sides of a 90 gallon rectangular steel tank. I can look in the fill neck and see fuel in the tank. Having both sides open with this design = fuel spill.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:59 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
4 years of fueling class A with this method and no problems so far!

Tags
fuel