Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2019, 07:10 AM   #1

Future owner hot water question

Please bear with the silly newbie questions... We expect to pick up our new to us 18 Anthem 44A in a few weeks...

How does the hot water system work in an 18 Anthem? I realize there is an Aquahot 450D that supplies hot water for the floors, furnace and the hot water fixtures, etc., but is the hot water at the faucets and shower instant? In our current coach, with a "tankless" hot water heater, it takes a solid 45 seconds to a minute to get actual hot water out of a faucet or the shower. Does the Aquahot circulate hot water throughout the hot water loop in the coach or does it only come on when there is a demand for hot water like turning on the shower or a faucet? In our current coach, we waste a bunch of grey tank capacity during showers waiting on hot water to return to the shower head even when only turned off for a minute or so while lathering up.

Thanks,
Adam
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Congratulations on the Anthem and welcome!

Hot water is not instant; I’d say it takes 20 to 30 seconds for hot water to get to our shower head. Once hot water is at the faucet there isn’t an additional wait time for hot water if you turn it off to lather up (navy shower, I guess). You could save water by collecting it while waiting for it to get hot and/or by taking back to back showers. Collected water is easy to put back in the tank through the winterizing hose.

It’s actually heated boiler fluid that heats the water and that is circulated throughout the coach for floor heat and Aquahot “register” heat.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:04 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
Hot water is not instant; I’d say it takes 20 to 30 seconds for hot water to get to our shower head.
Agreed. It is, however, endless and runs off diesel so no need for propane fillups, which is nice.

I've entertained installing one of these as it bothers me when boondocking to dump fresh water into the grey tank for the purpose of warming up the shower.

https://aquaviewinc.com/product/smwc...l-unit-chrome/

Probably not worth the trouble, but maybe...
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:45 AM   #4

I'm also looking at aqua view $50. Can't beat the price looking for someone who's done it.
Wrapped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:25 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post
Agreed. It is, however, endless and runs off diesel so no need for propane fillups, which is nice.

I've entertained installing one of these as it bothers me when boondocking to dump fresh water into the grey tank for the purpose of warming up the shower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrapped View Post
I'm also looking at aqua view $50. Can't beat the price looking for someone who's done it.
Something similar, if not the same, is an option on Newmar coaches; factory installed of course. You’ll probably get good feedback posting a question on the Newmar forum.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #6

Unlike the "instant tankless" water heaters, there is hot water in the aquahot as long either (or both) the electric or deisel heaters are on.

We get hot water to the rear bathroom fixtures pretty quick, 5 seconds if that.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:32 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post

To the OP, takes us about 10-25 seconds to get hot water to the showerhead depending on weather and state from previous usage. Equates to less than a quart to as much as a half gallon of wasted water.

Made suggestion to Pat Carroll a couple of times to add recirc option, but... For now when dry camping we use the bucket method.

Also looking at the showermiser but we have a rear bath and a return line needs to be run back to the wet bay (to the tank or inlet side of pump). In our B that means getting into the plumbing/wiring chase under the bed. Would love to hear if someone has done this - or figured out another way to add a recirculating option.

Still think that plastic blue temp indicator on the showermiser is butt ugly.

Does anyone have a detailed diagram of the Entegra fresh water system?
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:35 AM   #8

Thanks all for your input. Sounds like we are going to be in much better shape than our current "tankless" hot water heater in our Palazzo.
Old 10-17-2019, 07:54 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with all of the previous answers about it taking maybe 20-30 seconds to get the actual hot water. This is because there will be a slight delay for the hot water which is heated and always available (as long as the Aquahot is turned on when parked) to get from the heated fresh water loop in the Aquahot to the faucet calling for the hot water. Another benefit not mentioned is that the fact that you will always have hot water available when driving. The 450D has an engine loop that uses the engine heat to heat Aquahot (including the fresh water loop) when driving, even when the Aquahot is not actually turned on.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:17 PM   #10

Be aware that the coolant loop through the AquaHot can be a source of leaks. We thought we had another bad radiator, but it turned out to be the hose entering the AH unit, leaking coolant onto it.

Tags
water