Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Gen-Turi questions

We plan to be in Quartszite in January so I'm going to order a Gen-Turi. I have already read what I could find in previous posts and still have questions specifically for Entegra owners:

1. From what I can tell we need the 18" extension. I'd rather have it too high than not high enough and the literature I've found says at least 6" above the roof. Based on my numbers the exhaust tube without the extension is only going to reach about 11' (with the roof at 12' 9"). Comments?
2. I don't want to use any permanent mounts so how many suction cups does it take to handle the weight and resist any additional stress from windy conditions?
3. Can all suctions cups be placed on glass or does one or more need to be on the paint to make a secure mount?
4. What are the gotchas, if any?

Thanks in advance for any help or insights offered.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2016, 12:45 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Yes, you need the extension.

I put the suction cups on the painted surface. I apply a liberal coat of wax in advance to protect the paint and have had no problems with the paint.

The Genturi has a good amount of weight to it which puts a lot of downward pressure on the generator exhaust pipe. To alleviate this, I put two eyehooks into the underside of the coach to which I attach a short length of chain. The exhaust pipe rests on the chain so that the extra weight is supported by the chain, and not the whole exhaust pipe.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #3

Gen-Set only or did you also do one for aquahot ? Just curious.

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I only did the genset, but some people have put them on the Aquahot too.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:00 PM   #5

Good discussion on Gen-Turis

My Gen-Turi is secured with suction cups. The first suction cups that came with the Gen-Turi were not enough to keep the Gen-Turi vertical in a brisk wind. Now Campco has a stonger set of suction cups that are sold separately. My good friend Jim Dixon bought me a set of the separate suction cups as a gift last year at Quartzsite and they work much better.I think the separate suction cups are about $12 and I think that Amazon and others have them. I went to Lowes and bought two of those big plastic suction cup shower-handles that I bought for my aged mother when she used the shower in her apartment. What I bought are those big plastic handles with two suction cups. They work the best, but now that I have the better Campco suction cups, I leave them in the basement and have not needed them. I do not use permanently attached hooks.

You will find that the standard Gen-Turi is not sufficient for our very tall coaches. If you want the exhaust to exhaust even close to the top of the coach, you will need the extension. The extension is first quality but only 18" tall and to be honest if you wanted the tip to be well above the coach, you would need a longer extension than that. However, it would vent above the slides and toppers and that is probably good enough. I made my own extension following a suggestion from someone else. You will find that thin-wall PVC with the expanded joint end of the PVC will slip nicely over the end of either the Gen-Turi or Gen-Turi extension. I cut mine to length and it was about 6" above the coach roof and painted it black. It worked fine.

The weight of the Gen-Turi is held by the generator exhaust pipe. If you place the suction cups at about a 45 degree angle, then you can take a good deal of the weight off of the exhaust pipe. I have not found this to be a problem. The exhaust pipe is held in place by a metal and fiber bracket under the coach that actually takes most of the weight.

Another issue is that I replaced the chrome (rusted) tip that came standard on my Anthem. it was discolored and nasty. It was also difficult to get off and it cannot stay on the exhaust pipe when you are using the Gen-Turi. You remove the exhaust tip before installing the Gen-Turi. Now, I replaced my discolored chrome tip on the genny with a Gibson polished stainless steel tip. It looks much better and it has a clamp that securely holds it on, but the clamp is an intergral part of the tip and it is easily loosened and the tip removed. There is a thread on here that deals with both the Gibson model number needed for the Genny exhaust. I also replaced my Aqua-Hot exhaust tip with another Gibson adapter and tip.

Most people only use one on the genny. I believe this is the reason. The genny exhaust is just nastier and more objectionalble, even on a new generator. The AquaHot is usually on at night to warm the coach in Quartzsite, but the genny is often running in the morning and evening. I thought a Gen-Turi would be nearly mandatory last year at Quartzsite, but about a third of the coaches had and used them. It was not a problem not to have one. However, we at most had maybe 12 coaches together at any one time. This year, as of right now, we have 43 coaches registered for the Gathering. While Quartzsite is big, to keep the "circle" manageable, we will be parking coaches much closer together than we did last year.... we will be much closer. At Quartzsite, I run my genny about 2 hours each morning when we first get up, and then again, 2 hours immediately before bedtime. I also run it for the time that my wife is microwaving anything. Doing that, I lived normally at Quartzsite for a few days less than 2 weeks. Now, people are generally not sitting out beside their coaches in the morning and evening because it is cool. So, Gen-Turis are there to keep from gassing your neighbor either in their coach or sitting out under their awnings when coaches are parked close. Last year, it was cool enough at night that nobody had their windows open after dark.

I think that those were your issues.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #6

Oh, I place my suction cups on the paint but no reason they could not be placed on the window. The standard Gen-Turi is 2 sections and if you go as high as the window, the rubber support brace would probably have to be moved up to the upper section. I have not done that, but dont see why it would not work.

One more thing, The bottom section of the genturi is sort of "J" shaped and the air gap is where the pipe bends up to vent vertically. The metal section that clamps to the exhaust pipe has a metal pin that goes through the exhaust pipe.

Gary
Old 11-06-2016, 04:32 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Bill,

If I had know you were going to need one I would have showed you how I modified my exhaust tip on the generator, while we were at spartan training. I have modified the exhaust tip so you can take it off and put it back on after using the genturi.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:41 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I had my Genturi pipe adapter chromed, and I keep it in place all the time so the original pipe extension is no longer used.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:46 AM   #9

This thread is long and informative on Gen-Turi systems. Also, it contains the part numbers and sources of stainless steel Gibson exhaust tips to replace your chrome tips (if that is desired).

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/chro...-274871-2.html

Gary
Old 11-06-2016, 08:01 AM   #10

I purchased two of the 18" extensions and two of the Campco stick on holders. Now the exhaust pipe rises well above the coach and with two attach points is much more stable.

Franko
Old 11-06-2016, 06:28 PM   #11

I put the permanent anchors on the side of the coach..They work well, are very secure for the GenTuri and they are all but invisible once painted to match the surface using the touchup paint.

Harbor Freight has a suction cup handle tool that works very well. I put mine high on the cap and use it to stabilize the GenTuri near the top with a bungie around it attached to the suction cut handle tool.

Given the tendency of the delicate rose petal window delaminations and shattering events noted i don't think the glass would be the optimum place to mount something supporting weight and being constantly vibrated by the genny running.

Gary, thanks for the idea of the PVCC extension. I would like to add to my 18 inch one a bit. I may just ditch it and make a 28 inch PVCC to use and leave the 18 at home.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:02 PM   #12

I hauled out the old Gen-Turi tonight and did some measurements that might be of help to some on here.

My Onan Generator tailpipe is 12" off the ground on my Anthem. The Gen-turi mounts to that exhaust. The length of the standard Gen-Turi is three sections that total 10'. That means that the standard Gen-Turi top will be at 11' above ground. Our coaches are 12'9" tall. So the standard Gen-Turi will be 1'9" below the manufacturers measurement of our height. If you buy one of the Camco extensions, the extensions are 1.5' tall (18") making the Gen-Turi plus a standard extension is 12'8". Hope that helps. The Camco extensions are costly and very heavy duty (the same tubing as the Gen-Turi). One of my friends, has two of those extensions to be roughly 18" above the Girards. Again, you can make your own if you can find 3" thin wall PVC pipe.

Gary
Old 11-09-2016, 05:39 AM   #13

I decided to try this again. I went to Lowes and found a 10' section of 3" thin wall PVC pipe. The cost was $10.00. I then measured the whole desired Gen-Turi length to be 14'6" and cut the section of the thin wall to make that total height. That would make my total Gen-Turi 14'6" tall and clear the roof by 18".

The one disadvantage of this method was discovered last year at Quartzsite. Before I found how to anchor the Gen-Turi pipe so it would resist brisk winds trying to push it off vertical, the pipe did lean backwards and lean up against the front slide. That was not far off vertical, but I discovered that ~2 hours of generator use, the thin-wall became soft enough that it bent slightly so the stack was not perfectly vertical. So, this year, I will ensure that the stack stays vertical and it should be trouble free.

Gary
Old 11-10-2016, 11:07 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to wmpbauer
NOTE- NOTE- NOTE

If you have an Anthem or Cornerstone, you should also get the short "extension" to raise the exit above your cap rails.

Pat Bauer, President
Entegra Coach Owners Association
www.entegraowners.com
2017 Anthem DEQ/Ford Edge
Sun City Center, FL
wmpbauer is offline   Reply With Quote