RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2018, 07:44 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Generator exhaust tip

I discovered yesterday that my generator exhaust tip is >1/8” larger than the exhaust pipe and is held on by a single screw. Result is that it doesn’t seem very secure and wobbles a lot. Seems like a formula to leave the tip on the highway. Is everyone else’s exhaust tip like this?

TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2018, 07:49 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Vance if the generator exhaust tips are like the Classics....rust in a year, maybe the new models are "easy change" exhaust tips.

2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Vance if the generator exhaust tips are like the Classics....rust in a year, maybe the new models are "easy change" exhaust tips.

This one is definitely an easy change! Hopefully not a premature change!
Old 01-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
You may want to try a small muffler clamp.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:07 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Why not drill and tap a hole for a second anchor?
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:10 AM   #6

muffler clamp is the easiest way to solve your problem
mmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:49 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Our 2014 Cornerstone lost its engine exhaust tip. Quite a thrill for DW who was following in the F-150!
There are posts on this site about upgrading your generator an Aqua Hot tips to Stainless steel.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor, Newmar KK Lone Stars South
Dutch Star David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:51 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
We are hitting the road tomorrow. Hopefully the tip will still be there when we get to our destination (202 miles) and I will find a clamp to put on it. Assume a U-bolt with saddle type cross piece is what I want. Seems I should split the tip (with a hacksaw) in the area of the clamp to allow it to tighten, if that is the case it will likely have to wait until I get home. It’s hung on for almost 4,000 miles hopefully it will hang on for another 850.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:17 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
I installed a Gibson S/S exhaust tip/extension on mine 15 yrs ago and it still looks great ! Those cheap chrome one's don't last very long.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:49 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Generator exhaust tip

Vance, I think there should be two screws to hold it to the pipe. Chances are it's missing or has been twisted off.
Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
We are hitting the road tomorrow. Hopefully the tip will still be there when we get to our destination (202 miles) and I will find a clamp to put on it. Assume a U-bolt with saddle type cross piece is what I want. Seems I should split the tip (with a hacksaw) in the area of the clamp to allow it to tighten, if that is the case it will likely have to wait until I get home. It’s hung on for almost 4,000 miles hopefully it will hang on for another 850.
Vance, before you put a clamp on it, consider whether you'll ever want or need to attach a generator exhaust diversion device (Gen-Turi or similar).

Those devices attach to the generator exhaust pipe by sliding over the end of the exhaust pipe once the decorative tip has been removed. If you use a U-clamp and tighten it up enough to work, you'll probably deform not just the decorative tip but the end of the generator exhaust pipe as well. And at that point you may not be able to slide the end of the exhaust diversion device over the generator exhaust pipe.

Our previous coach (a 2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus) and our current one (a 2018 Entegra Cornerstone) both came with a single self-tapping screw holding the decorative tip onto the generator exhaust pipe. Like you, I was concerned about the screw working its way out or breaking off, and the tip departing once nothing was holding it in place.

I removed the tip and drilled the hole made by the self-tapping screw to a size large enough for a #10 stainless steel screw to pass through. Did the same to the hole in the generator exhaust pipe. Then measured the tip very carefully with a cloth measuring tape (borrowed from Amy's sewing kit) to find the spot to drill a second hole in the tip, exactly 180 degrees from the first hole.

At that point I had two holes in the tip, each 180 degrees from the other, and one hole in the generator exhaust pipe. From there, I put the tip over the exhaust pipe, put a #10 stainless steel screw through one side of the tip and the one hole in the exhaust pipe, then went to the other side of the tip and used the second hole in the tip to mark the location of a second hole in the exhaust pipe.

Drilled that second hole in the exhaust pipe, ran a #10 stainless screw all the way through the tip and the exhaust pipe, put a flat washer, a star lock washer and a nut on the end of the screw and tightened the nut just enough to keep it from working its way loose.

No deformed exhaust pipe (so my generator exhaust diversion device still fits over the exhaust pipe just fine) and no worries about the tip departing. When I need to remove the tip to use the exhaust diversion device all I have to do is loosen the nut, remove the screw and associated hardware, and remove the tip.

This approach worked for years on our 2010 Tiffin Allegro Bus and I've implemented the same thing on our Cornerstone. I'll shoot a photo or two and post those.

By the way, if you want to keep the tip from being loose on the exhaust pipe, just put the end of it it in a vice (protected by wood on either side to avoid scratching) and tighten the vice gradually to flatten out the end of the tip just a bit. Proceed with small increments, testing the fit of the tip as you go. Once you get it right, the tip will fit snugly over the generator exhaust pipe.

I did that on our 2010 Allegro Bus, but haven't bothered to do it on the Cornerstone simply because I doubt I'd be able to hear the tip rattling while driving down the road.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:16 PM   #12

Photos of generator exhaust tip held in place by #10 stainless steel screw and associated hardware.

The tip in the photo is not the factory-installed tip. It is an aftermarket part purchased at a local muffler shop owned & operated by a guy I've known for many years. I drilled the factory installed tip so it can be attached in the same manner as this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator Exhaust Tip-Looking Forward.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	189242   Click image for larger version

Name:	Generator Exhuast Tip-Looking Aft.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	189243  

LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 07:46 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Larry - I like your solution. I may take the tip off and take care of it when I get home. Thanks!
Old 01-19-2018, 08:46 AM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two types of Muffler shops.. one kind only bolts on pre-formed exhaust pipe. the other type bends and swags as needed.

Find the latter, they can make you an adapter.

Option 2: May be able to find one ready made in some stores but inding generator size pipe is .. Not common.

When my Generator exhaust pipe rusted off.. I had a shop custom build me a new pipe and a welder attach it.. Should be good for at least another decade.

Tags
generator