Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2017, 12:56 PM   #1

Generator Oil Weight

Need to add a small amount of oil to my generator. Not sure what oil in currently in unit. Owners manual states SAE 30 or
SAE 15W-40. What should I use?
pallencollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pallencollin View Post
Need to add a small amount of oil to my generator. Not sure what oil in currently in unit. Owners manual states SAE 30 or
SAE 15W-40. What should I use?
Would most likely be 15W40.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #3

I would use 15W-40 diesel oil.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
As others have said 15-40 diesel engine approved oil. As a suggestion, when changing the generator oil, use the same oil as the engine. That way you only have to carry a gallon of one type of oil and don't have to worry about mixing them up.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:18 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dino oil go with the multi-weight, it's not as good as the mono-weight but well.. Story follows.

Synthetic go with the Mono-Weight (30 weight) or even 40 weight.

Reason: I am told that unlike Dino oil Synthetics (At leat TRUE synthetics like Mobile one) do not thicken, or at least do not thicke as much. But with Dino oil if you use too heavy an oil and it gets COLD, the story is as follows
Honda 2000i.. It would start, run a few seconds and die.
Start and run a few seconds and die, Long about the fitth try or so it would run several hours. no problems.

The problem. The oil was not returning to the crankcase fast enough and the LOW OIL sensor was shutting it down, After several tries it had warmed up enugh the oil was flowing properly.. a lower "W" rating on the oil fixed it.

I need to do an oil change on my rig, plan on it at the end of the month when I do an engine change on the RV. One shop shopping as it were.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:45 PM   #6

If you're worried about choosing an oil viscosity, take a look at what the experts have to say..

Oil Types, Weights & Viscosity FAQ - Valvoline®

As others have mentioned, it is prudent to use the same oil as used in the main engine. There is no problem using an oil that achieves a higher standard than called for, but the weight should meet the manufacturer's specifications in terms of weight versus anticipated operating temperature.

As the PM schedule permits, I switch the oil and coolant over to that used in the main engine to reduce the amount of spare fluids carried onboard.

That is what works for me,

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, weight