RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Generator question when we have a power outage

When power goes out at the pedestal for a few minutes he generator automatically starts. When power comes back in the generator should shut off and go back to regular power.

Problem is the generator still runs and I have to shut it off to be back on regular power

I do not have a Vega touch but I do have the Energy Command 30

I am sure it is just a simple setting just not sure which one.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2019, 04:19 PM   #2

Hi Phil, for some reason I want to say that if the AGS fired, and later shore power was restored, that you would have to manually shut down the generator and reset the AGS.

If you didnít have shore power at all, and had the AGS set, and it started the generator, it would also shut the generator down when it was satisfied.

Let me test mine and see what happens..

-Matt

Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #3

Phil

My memory of this issue is that the AGS will start the genny when commercial power goes out. However, there is nothing on the coach that will turn it off again when commercial power come back on.

My memory is that there is a relay that was never installed which would do that, and as I remember, there was a modification that could be done to the coach to provide that capability. Some very careful searching of this forum around 2015-2016 should find the threads. This was discussed and I am pretty sure that someone posted the modification that showed what to add and how to do it.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:32 PM   #4

Starting in 2020 generator will shutdown when pedestal power restored. All previous years you have to stop generator manually after pedestal power restored. Pita
Old 07-11-2019, 06:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Phil

My memory of this issue is that the AGS will start the genny when commercial power goes out. However, there is nothing on the coach that will turn it off again when commercial power come back on.

My memory is that there is a relay that was never installed which would do that, and as I remember, there was a modification that could be done to the coach to provide that capability. Some very careful searching of this forum around 2015-2016 should find the threads. This was discussed and I am pretty sure that someone posted the modification that showed what to add and how to do it.

Gary
Gary I think the mod youíre talking about was to start the generator not shut it down.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:32 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The EC30 (or VegaTouch) has control of the generator once it is triggered by the shore power outage. Actually, my understanding is it is not the outage that triggers, but the climate or battery voltage status that does. If the AC is running and shore power goes out, then there is a AGS call for generator to start in the absence of shore power. Once the generator has started then the parameters in the EC30 or VegaTouch needs to be satisfied before the generator will turn off even if shore power has restored. Once turned off it will not restart with shore power available.

Unfortunately with the EC30 and current VegaTouch not having the relay Gary mentioned there seems to be no way for the AGS to know shore power has been restored. I believe the AGS will have to turn off the generator after satisfying the call before AGS will return to the status of idle when there is shore power.

I’ve thought of testing this, but annoying my neighbors won’t be my first option.
Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:35 PM   #7

Our 16 Anthem w/EC 30 when set on AUTO will start the generator on loss of shore power if AC's are needed or if SOC falls below set point. In both cases when shore power returns the generator will shut down BUT not until a certain SOC is reached and AC's cycle off.
I tested the system several times ( shortly after our purchase ) because of our concern over loss of AC's with our dog in the coach and as I recall once the AC's shut down it took about 15 minutes to reach a SOC that allowed the generator to shut down and shore power take over. I always set the EC 30 to auto and just the other day due to maintenance at our location shore power was lost and the generator started due to AC's.
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:38 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Just guessing here, but on my Vega Touch I have a minumum run time for the AGS. Maybe, the system is just doing what it was told. So, it runs until all requirement are met and THEN what ever you have as min run time.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
Starting in 2020 generator will shutdown when pedestal power restored. All previous years you have to stop generator manually after pedestal power restored. Pita
It is a PITA but on my 2017 the generator will shutdown after 2 hours and check for shore power. If it doesn't see shore power it starts the generator again. The VT can be set for anything between 2 and 12 hours. Of course you can always shut it off if you are there and know that you have shore power back up. If you reset the AGS and the generator hasn't run for 2 hours, it will dump shore power and restart the generator. Its got a timer in the code. The only way to kill the timer is to reboot the 12V system.

At least that is how my system is operating at this point.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Phil

Gary
I am not sure if it is still this way, but on my 14 the EC30 requires a shore power sense wire to know when shore power has been restored. Mine did not come wired with one. I added it to my coach and it will shut down after shore power has been restored and the generator has satisfied what triggered it in the first place (low battery, thermostat, etc). To work properly the EC30 requires a low voltage AC or DC current from the shore power side of the transfer switch to sense when shore power is available. I wired a door bell transformer to the incoming shore power side of the transfer switch and ran door bell wire from the transformer to the EC30. I never understood why the factory would install an AGS but not run the wire to allow it to sense shore power. It would not be a very expensive addition.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Brian, you just saved my neighbors form my testing. Interesting we recently had an issue where the Progressive Ind surge protector drop L1 due to low voltage and the AGS started the generator. In that case even when L1 returned to an acceptable voltage and the EMS reset, the generator continued to run. It would have been a good test, but it was a hot day and the AC would hav continued for quite some time.
Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:25 PM   #12

I just tested this on our 2017 Aspire (not VegaTouch equipped.)

I used the thermostat to request the AGS start the generator upon shore power failure.

When I turned off shore power, the AGS fired up the generator and A/C was restored.

Without touching the Command 30, or the manual generator start button I went to the pedestal and turned on the shore power.

After a good long while, well beyond the Progressive Industries delay, the generator continued to happily run, and the Command 30 screen indicated AUTO.

Only after I manually shut down the generator did shore power pass through the Transfer Switch, and to the coach.

-Matt
Old 07-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #13

Phil, my suspicion is that your 2013 Anthem has more in common with our Aspire, than with a newer Anthem or Cornerstone.

The question that is forefront in my mind, is how to wire up the sense wire for the Command 30 AGS circuit to sense the restoration of shore power?

In addition, if you have the capability to detect when shore power is restored, must you then reset the AGS to AUTO, seeing as it already triggered a start in my hypothetical scenario?

Thoughts?

-Matt
Old 07-11-2019, 08:33 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
I actually ran the trigger wire with the doorbell relay. I also have the relay set to a breaker. It seems to me it used to shutdown the generator once power was restored but I just canít remember

I will run some more tests and report back

Tags
generator, power