RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2019, 11:55 AM   #1

Girard awning stablization

Good morning,
I saw the "Carefree" awning stabilizer kit on line and was wondering if anyone has tried this and to what, if any, success for our Girard Awnings?

Many thanks in advance...Gregg

Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I looked at doing a retrofit, but determined the arms are not strong enough for this. There is a lot of material that will act as a wind sail, and the pressure would be at the end of the arm. The end result would be a failure of the arm.

These awnings are not meant for wind.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:48 PM   #3

Don't use the Girard awnings they are just pricey junk. Found out today that I need to put another $800 plus dollars into these worthless pieces of junk. The rope broke and the stabilizing rod that the rope fits in is to bent to restring. Oh come on!!! $370 to replace the rod and another $400 to install. Really? This is all after replacing lights, arms, and motors plus numerous adjustments. And they are still out of adjustment and to high up on the coach to do any good unless the sun is directly over head. Sorry sir but trying to tie them down is a total waste of effort.

Sorry for the rant but this coach is killing me. The problems never quit.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:18 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
The Girard awnings are a "buy me" label to be used at RV shows with a controlled environment. They do not work well in an open camping area with anything above a breeze. If you own Girards and use them once in a while, make sure your insurance policy covers awnings damaged by acts of God.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:34 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
The Girards have been my pet peeve since day 1. We didn't have an RV before the Entegra so I don't have experience with sturdier awnings, but I know what doesn't work. Choosing aesthetics over utility is almost always a mistake.

I have seen Tiffins with Carefree Paramount (link below) awnings that look just like the Girards but are much more robust with much heavier arms. I was parked next to an Allegro Bus in Door County last summer that left the awnings out in conditions I wouldn't even consider for the Girards; they were Carefree Paramounts.

I would like to know if Entegra has considered these and what stops Entegra from using them if they're a superior product. I'm looking forward to asking Pat Carrol this question at the Tampa show in January.

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/p...paramount.html
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 07:51 AM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balladeer View Post
Good morning,
I saw the "Carefree" awning stabilizer kit on line and was wondering if anyone has tried this and to what, if any, success for our Girard Awnings?

Many thanks in advance...Gregg
Gregg,

I've considered a DIY version of something similar to this. It would certainly widen the operational range of the awnings, and might remove some of the doubt that has all of us leaving our awnings stowed in conditions that the Girards might be fine in. That's my biggest complaint - the actual operational conditions aren't definable so everyone errs on the side of caution. As-is, even in steady light breezes unpredictable gusts may do damage so the awnings remain stowed.

Since the awnings can be blown either up or down rigid arms at the corners are required to stabilize the awnings. But, as someone else already mentioned the awnings are a giant sail so if the awning can't move with the wind the sail force will be transferred to other parts of the awning; it's hard to predict exactly what would fail if the wind got strong enough and the corner tie-downs didn't break.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:01 AM   #7

I'm an ex-sailor (sailboat captain type) and I depended on a nice wind and a very big chunk of nylon fabric sticking up in the air to get me where I wanted to go. I have crossed the Gulf and out into the Atlantic and have been in several really ruff storms and there were times when I had the one mainsail shortened down to not much more than a human handkerchief to prevent the boat from being overpowered, but still moving forward for steerage, so I know it doesn't take much square footage or yardage of "sail" to move a pretty good size boat through the water..... and the support for my sail on the boat were a thousand times more substantial that the arms and tubes seen on these awnings..... There is no way that those awnings are going to withstand even a moderate breeze at the right angle. The shake sensors are a good idea, but I would not even seriously consider trying to anchor the outer edges to prevent them from moving in a good gust.... the whole system is just not strong enough to take that IMO. My Girards stay "in" unless I am around to watch them, or maximally, they are out 3 or 4 feet to provide "lighting" for outside activity. Just my way of doing things and my tolerance for risk. I have a deep respect for the forces of wind....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
The Girards have been my pet peeve since day 1. We didn't have an RV before the Entegra so I don't have experience with sturdier awnings, but I know what doesn't work. Choosing aesthetics over utility is almost always a mistake.

I have seen Tiffins with Carefree Paramount (link below) awnings that look just like the Girards but are much more robust with much heavier arms. I was parked next to an Allegro Bus in Door County last summer that left the awnings out in conditions I wouldn't even consider for the Girards; they were Carefree Paramounts.

I would like to know if Entegra has considered these and what stops Entegra from using them if they're a superior product. I'm looking forward to asking Pat Carrol this question at the Tampa show in January.

https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/p...paramount.html
The sad part is Tiffin in now going to Girards too. Girard just opened a service location in Red Bay, AL next to Tiffin to service the facility....

Tags
awning