RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2019, 05:37 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Girard awnings replaced!

In Ouray, CO in late September 2018. Beautiful day, sun out, temp great, and no wind. Had both awnings out. Went inside the coach and in the 2 minutes I was inside and before I could get out the door, a microburst hit. It was over before I could get out the door. But it wrapped both awnings over the top.

Result was my repair facility and insurance adjuster agreed to replace both awnings. There was some mild roof damage and a couple of the mounting brackets also bent as the result of the microburst.

Main issue is that Girard custom builds their awnings. There is zero awnings in stock. They also build to order so you have to send them info on fabric color, length, etc. this process started in latter part of October. Girard somehow lost the order, then there was the Christmas shut down and the awnings were shipped by truck from California first week of January 2019. The awnings have to be painted locally to match coach locally.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3667.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	232796

Finally got them installed and completed!

Moral of the story, if you get your Girard awnings torn up, donít expect them to be replaced in a two or three week down period! It took 3 months start to finish!

TurboDaveTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2019, 06:38 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Personally, I think the moral of the story is NEVER use the Girard awnings, they are for looks only! Way too fragile!

Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:16 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Good report for others Dave. I have fallen into the Gary theory with too many close calls I rarely use them. Too bad as they are nice when you can use them.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:32 PM   #4

I virtually never have mine deployed more than about 20% of their reach for the same reasons. I tend to put mine out just so they pass the slides and use their LED lights to illuminate the area of the coach and ground on the passenger side when cooking or eating out.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:26 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
In 2013 that happened to me and totally distorted they side of my coach. Awnings landed on top paint had to be repainted on the whole passenger side. $25,000 damage. I sat down across from the president of Girard and told him what happened. He said it was an act of god. 3 weeks later I received a service bulletin that said have your wind sensors replaced as they could be defective
Old 01-23-2019, 07:35 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
In 2013 that happened to me and totally distorted they side of my coach. Awnings landed on top paint had to be repainted on the whole passenger side. $25,000 damage. I sat down across from the president of Girard and told him what happened. He said it was an act of god. 3 weeks later I received a service bulletin that said have your wind sensors replaced as they could be defective
What a shame.

Even working wind sensors are to late. Once the sensors sense the wind, the awning is already blowing up over the roof. They will pull the awning in if the arms are not bent.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 05:25 PM   #7

Pretty much expensive eye candy, useless other than light holders. Took us a year to find someone competent enough to replace a broken arm on ours because of a wind gust. Service is the other issue with these awnings. No one knows how they work enough to adjust them properly. I'll take Carefrees any day. IMHO
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:33 PM   #8

I used a temperature gun and the difference (on a dark paint color) between the area in the sun and in the shade of the awnings was 45 degrees. I have set my motion sensors at level 2, they come at 3, range is from 1-5, 1 being most sensitive. I am always keeping my fingers crossed, but it really helps the inside temperature.

Van Sayler
2017 Anthem 44B

PS I am the guy who put another set on my drivers side because I park in SW Florida for about 3 months and the sun hits that side all day long.
vsayler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
Pretty much expensive eye candy, useless other than light holders. Took us a year to find someone competent enough to replace a broken arm on ours because of a wind gust. Service is the other issue with these awnings. No one knows how they work enough to adjust them properly. I'll take Carefrees any day. IMHO

Call me lucky. The service agency where I store my coach (not NIRV) is an authorized Girard Service Center. They do know how to work on, adjust, and in this case replace and get the insurance company to pay for it! I didnít have to go anywhere to have my awnings replaced. Canít beat that!
Old 01-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsayler View Post
I used a temperature gun and the difference (on a dark paint color) between the area in the sun and in the shade of the awnings was 45 degrees. I have set my motion sensors at level 2, they come at 3, range is from 1-5, 1 being most sensitive. I am always keeping my fingers crossed, but it really helps the inside temperature.

Van Sayler

2017 Anthem 44B

PS I am the guy who put another set on my drivers side because I park in SW Florida for about 3 months and the sun hits that side all day long.

Hi Van! Off the subject but I got my Raptor set up to tow and AF1 installed and working! Taking it out Friday for a weekender to Winstar to see John Fogarty before two months in Florida leaving in mid February.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3604.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	232896
Old 01-24-2019, 02:56 AM   #11

TurboDaveTX, looks good!
Van
vsayler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:25 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jagmoor
I had the same experience in Pagosa Springs, CO. A microburst lifted my main awning 90 degrees breaking the arm. I'm very cautious about using them after having it repaired.
jagmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:50 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have carefree mirage on my Holiday Rambler Vacationer and they are also the pits. It has already been replaced once. The least amount of wind will blow them up over the MH. I never have mine out anymor unless I am setting right there and the wind is near zero. These engineers need to spend some time in the modtor home they are building. Things would be different.
darbyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 02:00 PM   #14

Sorry you had this problem....

To me the Girard awnings are like swim suit models.....Looks good but...only show your friends when everything is perfect. AND there's a whole bunch of heartache when things go bad.

dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, awning, replace