Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2017, 12:32 PM   #1

GoodSam Pilot Flying J RV charge card

Can someone tell me this for certain? When you use the GS/PFJ card at the outside (or counter) PFJ truck pumps, does the discount come off the cash price or off the charge card price. I have been told both by others so don't know what is the truth.

Frankly I try to avoid any truckstop if I can avoid it, but have the card and would like to understand how it works (or doesn't)!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2017, 12:35 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
It comes off the cash price at Pilot/Flying J truck stops if using the RV Plus card.

2016 Allegro Bus 40AP
nctox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:35 PM   #3

Gary, it comes off the cash price.
D&D Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just wondering...why so turned off by the truck lanes?

With a 40-45 ft Motorhome pulling a toad 4-down...why would you want to get tangled up with 16 year olds zipping around...in little cars. Why stop where the pump shuts off when you reach $75 or $100...and you have to use another card? Why carry DEF jugs around when you can pay-at-the-pump?

I guess I am motivated to do just the opposite. I use Truck lanes exclusively.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:43 PM   #5

Does it matter if you pay at the pump or it's a station (most) where you have to pay at the counter inside?

And thanks for the other definitive answers!

Gary
Old 09-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #6

I much prefer to pay at the pump and have since that was available. For me, and we all have our differences, it is much faster and easier. No lines to wait in, traffic to wander through, etc. Just plug in the card (s), refuel, and go.

On our trip this summer I experienced $50.00, $75.00, $100.00 limits as well as leave the card, and estimate how much fuel you will need. IMHO, simpler is better. I generally use Flying J/Pilot when available, but they aren't always there when the fuel gets low.

Just my 2c.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #7

Charlie

Actually there are LOTS of reasons. About the 4th time I stopped to fill at a truck stop that had good prices, each of maybe 10 truck lanes was full of a truck fueling and there where two trucks lined up behind each fueling truck waiting. I was towing 4 down so not able to back up or change my mind, and became 3rd in line in one of those lines. The truck fueling in my line pulled forward and the driver went in to pay and he never came out! The next truck fully fueled both tanks but could not pull forward as the path was blocked. He and his wife stood in front of their cab waiting for about 20 minutes for the driver to return. Probably 30 minutes from when he went inside, he sauntered out with the remainder of his Wendy's lunch in a bag and climbed into his cab and pulled away. Then I waited for the next guy to fuel, pay, and clear, and then the guy in front of me to fuel and pay and clear and then I could do my thing. It was an hour to fuel.....over an hour.... never again!!!

I was a long haired hippy semi driver back in the early 1970s when truckers were a tougher bunch. I was a scrawny curly haired long haired graduate student driving a semi to make money during the summers, but back then, one of the professional drivers would have gone inside, found the driver and drug him out of Wendy's or the stall of the bathroom or wherever he was, and beaten him to a pulp for pulling that stunt, but today, people waited.

And then there is the 30 to 40 cent higher price than virtually anywhere else that sells diesel, that we motorcoach drivers actually have to pay (no commercial truck company pays those charge prices, they buy it all on contract at substantially less than the posted price), and an additional up-charge for the actual use of a credit card (does anyone fill a motor home for cash????)

And then there is the PedFed credit card I have that gives me 5% off the total price, not 5 cents, 5% and when diesel was $4.20 A gallon that is a lot more than 5 cents.

I can come up with 5 more reasons, but then you probably get the idea.

Gary
Old 09-30-2017, 01:20 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Gary...

Thanks,,,those ARE good reasons.

I have gotten stuck a couple of times behind lollygagger's that go inside for a ridiculous length of time. Luckily, they are a minority... (but I secretly wished the other driver's would drag him out and beat the pi*# out of him.)

I do not like being gouged on Diesel Prices...but at the same time, a few extra bucks doesn't bother me if it keeps me from bending the coach on fuel plaza hazards.

I would venture away from the truck lanes, if I happened to see a place with a sure thing, easy pull-thru, nobody gets hurt, station setup. A lot of the standard stations I see aren't laid out for Motorcoach maneuvering very well.

BTW...do you have a favorite? A particular brand name that usually equates to a well laid out station with good prices? I'd put a POI file in my Garmin...
Old 09-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Yep, it’s real. You get a statement each month. $$ just get EFT’d out
classicalgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Does it matter if you pay at the pump or it's a station (most) where you have to pay at the counter inside?

And thanks for the other definitive answers!

Gary
Gary:
the PFJ charge card activates the pump, and apparently has no (or a very high) purchase limit, so no requirement to walk into store and wait in line to cashier. However, most of their pumps don't dispense a receipt. Rather than walk inside to get one, I just take a picture of the pump screen when I'm done.

The charge card is a convenience, but you save more money by walking inside and giving the cashier your GS member card (takes $.03 off the price) and a CC that pays 5% cash reward ($.15 /gallon on $3.00 fuel). Unfortunately, some of their locations require you to leave your cards with them while you fill up and then you have to walk back inside to reclaim your cards and sign, and for all your trouble they will give you a reciept.

I tend to use the latter method if I'm buying more than a half tank of fuel.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:50 PM   #11

I don't know about anyone else but ours has a $1000 limit. We ran up against that limit when our online payment through our bank didn't get there by the due date. We sent it out in plenty of time to arrive before the due date but according to the credit card company they didn't get it. The pump cut me off at $160.00. Interesting that when we got back and checked the mail the statement showed the payment arriving before the due date. Probably should think about increasing the limit.
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #12

I have used the flying J card for 5 years with a $2000 limit. I have never had an issue with the card and have used in all the lower 48 states. Your monthly bill with have date of purchase, location, gallons and the amount of the sale. If you use the Flying J RV pumps you can get you receipt at the pump If you use the truck lanes then you need to go inside to the counter or the kiosk. If you fuel at Pilot youtruck lanes you also need to go inside for your receipt.
Most GPS units show the truck stops however if you stop at a flying J go it the counter an ask for the RV Guide which lists all the Flying J and Pilot stations by state. They also list which food vendors are on the property.
D&D Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 04:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeg View Post
I don't know about anyone else but ours has a $1000 limit. We ran up against that limit when our online payment through our bank didn't get there by the due date. We sent it out in plenty of time to arrive before the due date but according to the credit card company they didn't get it. The pump cut me off at $160.00. Interesting that when we got back and checked the mail the statement showed the payment arriving before the due date. Probably should think about increasing the limit.
We also have a 1000 limit. I tend to pay before a statement esp. if I know I will be filling up a lot. Last trip was over about 2 and a half weeks and we used almost 1500 in diesel. So I would log in after camping and schedule payment from our checking. Never had a problem hitting our limit. That also allowed me to check credit level status of the card on a regular basis. They do note it may take a couple of days to post if I recall hence my not waiting until I was close on credit.

Tom
Old 09-30-2017, 04:45 PM   #14

Charlie

I depend a LOT on an iPhone app called GasBuddy. You can put in any town and search diesel prices 200 or 400 miles away. GasBuddy now shows the stations on a map so you can see where they are given the interstate exit. Then the DW uses a new edition of Next Exit which lists all fuel stations at every exit with those that can handle a tall motor coach or semi in red ink and we cross reference.

By cross referencing between prices and locations, I usually come up with a couple of good prospects to look at on Google maps, sat view. I see the approach and the exit and if it works, then those are possible. I usually do this while eating lunch or running down the road with the DW as the researcher.

It's easier to just pull into a truck stop, but I enjoy the challenge of saving a bundle and doing it quickly. The DW and I eat the savings at nice restaurants later and it reinforces the behavior..... :-)

Gary