Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2017, 07:03 AM   #141

Entegra Owners Club
I have learned something from this post. There are those that will defend Goodyear and those that have experienced way more than average failures from Goodyear tires.

I tend to go with a good friend that is a professional Race Car driver. He maintains his tires and vehicles to the max, including having a TPMS. On a way to a race in his neighboring state the Goodyear on his Aspire blew causing a few thousand in damage. He changed his brand of tires and I would do the same. Others are not going to believe it until it happens to them....human nature.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2017, 07:04 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
With all due respect.......B.S. I have run a tire pressure monitoring system since day one on our coach. Yes, after getting confidence with the system and comparing gauge readings to the TPMS I now find it much easier to check tire pressures each morning or anytime, before I drive off. Without a tire gauge.

AND, despite the spectacular un-belief you display in using the TPMS running down the road it has twice saved me from a tire problem on the move.

The clearest example that disproves your theory was the valve stem that ONLY leaked at the (disintegrating) seal when at 60 or 70 MPH due to the centripetal force on the stem from the rotating wheel. The valve stem did not leak at rest when the wheel was not turning, only when at speed. Even the guys at the truck tire shop were in disbelief since the exterior of the valve stem looked like brand new. Upon disassembly at my insistence the deteriorating seal on the inner surface was evident. So was the leak which only caused bubbles in the soapy water when the stem was pushed toward the rim same as if it were spinning. That failure would never be caught by a gauge and it was bad enough leak when moving that the tire would loose 50 PSI every 20 minutes by the time I made it to a repair shop.

A TPMS is also vital if you leave one climate and drive into another. Last year I aired the tires up for a fully loaded coach at -8F which was the temp in Michigan the morning we left. Within two days of driving I could watch the tire pressure rise considerably when at speed and as the weather warmed. The TPMS allows me to let air out enroute at a rest or fuel stop if necessary to keep the pressures in the correct range. Very difficult to do if you are only checking with a gauge in the morning or just at a stop. Advice is to never adjust air pressure enroute but the data from a TPMS shows you that it must be adjusted (under certain conditions) and allows you to do it knowledgeably.

Not to mention knowing the tire pressures of the towd which can easily cause damage without the coach driver ever realizing it.
I agree with every word. I have always used a TPMS and it has brought slow leaks to my attention numerous times.
Recently, I did have a tire blow on a single axle trailer and I was able to get my DP pulled over very quickly before something happened to the trailer or the bike on it.
Yes, every morning i use it to check air pressure. Oddly enough, I have found that air pressure gauges, used by shops and those in general use, tend to be all over the map at giving pressure readings. Now, I only trust the same TPMS that I have been using for 15 years.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:24 PM   #143

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Replaced the GY steers yesterday. The Michelin X Coach tires that have been on back order for a month are now available. If not only for the piece of mind regarding the possibility of a GY failure the immediately noticeable improvement in ride and quietness helped a big way in justifying the cost.
FWIW, it got to the point where I was almost constantly thinking about a steer tire failure while driving and maybe even becoming a bit paranoid about it. With our five month AZ winter jaunt about to start in a few weeks I decided to adhere to an old axiom that in the past has served me well, "if in doubt, trust your gut feeling."

I applaud EC for going all Michelin in 2018. It would be interesting to know their main reason for doing so.

Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:14 AM   #144

Tiffin Owners Club
After reading this and looking at the videos on youtube, I'm seriously thinking of installing a Safe T Bar. My coach (Tiffin Phaeton 40AH) seems to handle fine now, but I think it would be good to have the additional stabilization in case of a blow out.
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:39 AM   #145

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
Replaced the GY steers yesterday. The Michelin X Coach tires that have been on back order for a month are now available. If not only for the piece of mind regarding the possibility of a GY failure the immediately noticeable improvement in ride and quietness helped a big way in justifying the cost.
FWIW, it got to the point where I was almost constantly thinking about a steer tire failure while driving and maybe even becoming a bit paranoid about it. With our five month AZ winter jaunt about to start in a few weeks I decided to adhere to an old axiom that in the past has served me well, "if in doubt, trust your gut feeling."

I applaud EC for going all Michelin in 2018. It would be interesting to know their main reason for doing so.

Pat
Pat,

Now you can relax and enjoy the drive.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:02 PM   #146

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Pat,

Now you can relax and enjoy the drive.

Don,

Yes, I'm confident it will be happy trails.
Tks.
FMCA 212171
Old 10-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #147

Quote:

Pat
Good to hear the X Coach is available again, I've been trying to change the steer's for a couple of months now.

I can definitely relate to being hyper aware of the possibility of blow out on the Good Years, doesn't make for a nice drive.

I think I will still get the X Coachs but I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm also considering getting an 18 Insignia or more likely an Aspire. No matter what I will still have 295's in front and 275's in back. Hopefully I can find a deal that will work early next year.
Hygge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:03 AM   #148

Chuck, the 2017 and newer Aspires have 315 steers and 295 drive and tags.

Our ‘17 carries Goodyear’s but in the ‘18 MY coaches Entegra chose Michelin tires.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #149

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:

Pat
During a factory tour at Spartan, was told due to customer requests, they switched from GY to Mich.
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #150

Entegra Owners Club
I plan to change my GY295 steer to the Michelins next month, with new Koni's and check the ball joint issue. These steer tires have only 10k on them. Hate that, but looking forward to the drive from Texas to CA.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 08:08 AM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Chuck, the 2017 and newer Aspires have 315 steers and 295 drive and tags.

Our ‘17 carries Goodyear’s but in the ‘18 MY coaches Entegra chose Michelin tires.

-Matt
Yes.....hindsight being 20-20 and all, I should have gotten the17 Aspire, at least then if I wanted to change to Michelins they would be the 315's. I am mostly satisfied with my Insignia but to me at this point having 295 and 275 Goodyears is enough of an issue that if we can make it work an 18 Aspire might be in my future.
The 150 gallon tank will be an added bomus
In the meantime, wish I could find a place that had the X Coach in stock. Not going to be in my current location long enough for local shops to get them before I go to Spartan Acadamy after next week. I wonder if Spartan would install. Might be worth a phone call.
Hygge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #152

Michelin's Runinng Cooler Than Goodyears

After couple thousand miles with Michelins on the steers. Not only is the ride nicer, I have noticed they run cooler than the old Goodyears.

What I'm seeing is a 7-10 PSI reduction when at run temps. This is with roughly same out door temperatures with full sunshine.

Steve
Old 03-23-2018, 09:40 PM   #153

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by photraveller View Post
After couple thousand miles with Michelins on the steers. Not only is the ride nicer, I have noticed they run cooler than the old Goodyears.

What I'm seeing is a 7-10 PSI reduction when at run temps. This is with roughly same out door temperatures with full sunshine.

Steve
Tk's, good info. Helps me justify my switch to steer Michelin's.
FMCA 212171
Old 03-24-2018, 09:09 AM   #154

I would highly recommend the switch to Michelin's.

Not only for the safety factor, but they seem to ride softer, and they track much better.

I thought I had a good handling coach before the switch. Now it drives almost like my truck and has a softer ride.

Steve

Tags
led