RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2019, 08:15 AM   #1

GPS

WOW.... 2018 Aspire,,,, GPS tried to kill us in WV LoL... Took us down to goat trails... I won’t fear driving this thing anywhere after that.... any suggestions on how to update the in dash GPS??? Or replace it for a better one? Also, this thing wants to take us through every major city instead of around the loops... of course I’m using a road atlas and the GPS, but even at that you have to be really careful I have found out....

buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2019, 08:26 AM   #2

It’s usually operator error. You need to set the route to “fastest”. You are probably set to “shortest”. You also should always check your route before going. I always review my route with a second source such as Google maps to visualize any possible problems beforehand.

Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Learning the GPS is 98% of the navigation enjoyment. We have a lot of pilots on the forum and none of them ever seem to have a problem with the GPS's

Here is the card location for updating. Mine had to be update before I could even use it. If yours has not been updated, there could be part of the problem. SD card location?
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #4

Once you get the SD card that Chuck is talking about, then you need software from Rand-McNally. I think it is called "The Dock" and you download it from RM webpage. Then you need a computer either with an SD socket or with an adapter that adapts an SD female slot to a male USB socket. Once you have the software running, then insert the SD card. The Dock software should recognize your unit, check for updates automatically, and if there is an update, then begin the process of updating. If new maps are required, the map downloads can take an hour on a high speed line. The process is pretty automatic once you have the SD card, the Dock software, and a computer that lets you plug in an SD card or has a USB socket.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 12:46 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Get a Garmin 780 RV GPS. It is easier to use and gives better routing. I have it mounted on the side window for navigation and use the dash GPS for larger area view and to see what is up ahead.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
Get a Garmin 780 RV GPS. It is easier to use and gives better routing. I have it mounted on the side window for navigation and use the dash GPS for larger area view and to see what is up ahead.

I believe the Garmin 785 RV is now out.
Harleydeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck58 View Post
WOW.... 2018 Aspire,,,, GPS tried to kill us in WV LoL... Took us down to goat trails... I won’t fear driving this thing anywhere after that.... any suggestions on how to update the in dash GPS??? Or replace it for a better one? Also, this thing wants to take us through every major city instead of around the loops... of course I’m using a road atlas and the GPS, but even at that you have to be really careful I have found out....
having never read the others replies im sure there it a truck or rv setting somewhere., cause i live off a street the it prohibits truck and every time i take it tell me to not use this street, but i like it when temps drop below freezing and it warns me about icy roads ahead
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:47 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The Garmin RV 780 is now available ($399.99) on the Garmin site, the RV 785 ($499.99) has a dash cam. if you already have a dash cam, save the $$ and go with the 780. I use the RV 770 for over a year now, never led me down the wrong path and works great.

One minor glitch is it randomly turns itself off and back on again. that has not been a problem, it resets in under minute. I suppose if you were in tight traffic with several upcoming turns it could cause a problem.

I have not yet used the 780 to see if it still as the same glitch.
Chief55m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:29 AM   #9

Buck, keep in mind I’ve been driving an RV long enough to make all the typical mistakes (many more than once), and am coming full circle and making new and interesting mistakes.

In short, I’ve made many mistakes using GPS in an RV. You’re still a rookie until you’ve had to disconnect and back out of somewhere.

The comparison between the GPS installed in our coach, and those used for aircraft is missing some valuable pieces.

First, in aircraft the database is updated quite often and with some degree of scrutiny. Even still, perfection is not 100%. Critical thinking applies, and we have MANY warnings and alerts to indicate if we stray from the magenta line. In our aircraft (B-737), the GPS is but one of several voting members of the computer(s) (2 FMCs ) that decide where the aircraft is. We have (2) IRS systems that begin with a very accurate starting position and use accelerometer information to derive location, we also have Radio info such as VOR and DME. The IRS, Radio, and GPS All update the FMC to produce a result. Should the GPS signal degrade (due to shadowing, failure, or spoofing) the other systems will pick up the slack. While all of this is happening, each FMC is constantly comparing its information to the other FMC in a high tech “how am I doing” sort of manner. Should one FMC fail, the other will take over.

In general, I have a strong confidence in our onboard FMC, and trust it daily. Even still, we use electronic charts and our perception of the wisdom of a given choice in the context of our specific flight. We never depend solely on a computer.. we lean very heavily, but not 100%.

In automotive GPS units, I have close to zero confidence in the granular guidance. I know it can tell me to go to New York from Houston by aiming NorthEast. However, as I pass each decision point I’ve come to expect the unexpected.

The dash GPS has no “sanity check” built in beyond what you see out the window.

The practice of using different sources of info, supplemented by GPS data, and seasoned by your good judgement is the only sound practice.

Regardless of what the very best GPS data says, if you’re staring at a goat trail, that is your reality.

Ordinarily, I fly over an unknown route on Apple Maps. If I see tunnels or Spaghetti, I start to scrutinize the route using various methods. I also like to review applicable road closures and construction on the native states’ DOT website. Google Earth is useful to assess the lay of the land. And when in doubt, ask a local or ask here on IRV2 “Hey, how much fun is Highway 550 from Ouray to Silverton?”

After the planning, I ask my wife to help with reading Highway signs and choosing lanes when we are in congested areas. We’ve learned she really needs to be up front when passing any decent sized towns. I work the tactical problem of traffic and vehicle position. She works the strategic problem of where to go, and which lane to use to achieve that goal.

When we release the brake, my ego gets very small and she knows I invite her input. It isn’t about who is right, it’s about what is right. I’m also quick to own my mistakes and apologize when I get it wrong. Hopefully this empowers her to help me avoid the next big mistake.

Even still, each day on the road is a new day.

Best Regards,

-Matt
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #10

x2 (squared).... exactly as Matt says. However, even further, Dee is a full participant in the navigation of our coach.... she is never in the back and never asleep. She knows she has a role to play and while it is supplemental, it is critical. She is an active participant of every mile that we take on the road.

As Matt, I spend a lot of time looking over our plans the night before we start the trip. That is my responsibility and I am very serious about it. I plan and then confirm from multiple resources..... that is the amazing thing about our current leve of information and resources on the net. However, once we are moving, then I concentrate on keeping the coach safe and in the positions that it needs to be in. She does all the confirming, agreeing or disagreeing on what we are doing next and she deals with any of the "on-the-fly" issues and questions. I cant imagine her not being fully involved in the navigating and piloting.

And the two of our judgement added together have meant that we have avoided most of the stupid decisions that one can easily make putting in a lot of mile on unfamiliar roads. If she wasnt with me, I'd be going a lot slower, making a lot more mistakes, and cursing much more frequently.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:51 AM   #11

good stuff thanks guys
buck58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 08:15 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
WOW, nice to know I’m not the only OCD RV navigator. I use Google Map and Google Earth having a good look at the next day’s route. And I too have and a few lesson learners such that I don’t rely solely on the GPS. Well, almost always. When we make a in-flight corse correction for an alternate route I become a mechanical slave to the GPS. Fortunately, my backup navigation is my DW copilot who is on top of it and darn good at it. Still, for me it is miserable not knowing where I’m going taking turn by turn instructions. Knowledge is power.
Tom78418 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
GPS is like smart phones. There is a new model out every year. They all talk about how much they will do. The thing is most people won't use all the features that they just paid a premium to get. I have a Garmin 770 and it does exactly what I want it to do. Navigate!
Old 06-26-2019, 08:24 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have the Garmin 760 which is Garmin into into RV focused GMS. I resurrected it from the gadget burial box in the garage when bought the Cornerstone. I do not totally depend on the GPS, but it was exceedingly frustrating when the Rand McNally GPS would freeze up and typically would do so at the worst possible moment. That’s been fixed but the lost confidence has not. So the Garmin stays located on the Driver side window.

The Garmin works well and now that the Rand McNally is more reliable it is interesting when the 2 do not agree. I have the copilot with her iPad and Google Maps for that.

Tom78418 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps