RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2019, 11:09 AM   #127

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I gotta stop that speed reading....
When I was in collage it was Reading Comprehension 101
Same goes for reading the GPS, don't let it take you on right turns when a left turn is right in front of you. I still don't know why RM wants to make right turns instead of the easier left turns. Have seen that a few times with RV parks. We now ask if the GPS is correct when calling a head..

2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #128

Throw the GPS's in the garbage can. Use your brain & a recent map!

skipsharonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:37 AM   #129

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsharonrv View Post
I use my brain and a GPS-based Nav system. I realize not everyone is capable of that.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:07 AM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipsharonrv View Post
no reason why a GPS and a human brain are incompatible. just takes a bit of effort.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #131

Smile GPS Before and After

From a long carrier in logistics, (private fleet delivering to restaurants, then food distributors delivering to convivence stores, 6 to 20 stops per day).

BEFORE GPS:
Pre GPS 1967 we used a card file system maintained by the drivers listing directions from origin to the first stop then to each stop on the run. As you can imagine this system was extremely time consuming to maintain and then gather the appropriate index cards lay them out and photocopy them for a route. And that was after we had access to a photocopier. Don't even ask what we did before photocopies!

This was a very effective system despite the challenges. Just think, I like to user Simpson Street, no Jones Boulevard is quicker. And it gets more complicated from their. Then theirs the problem of a driver calling in sick an hour before their 3:00 AM Dispatch and the
Spare driver scrambling to assemble directions to 6 stops over a 2 day run and get on the road in time to make their appointment times.

And then their was the convenience store delivery fleet with 12 to 20 intercity stops in major cities like inside the 128 circle around Boston. 2003 and this company did not have GPS units nor if you can believe it Cell Phones for their drivers.

POST GPS:
Each driver has a company issued phone with a good GPS mapping system. The drivers are experienced driving larger equipment and most are even very professional (good common sense also).

Up to date computer based routing / manifesting system produces detailed printed directions in a flash on demand. Weight limits and overhead clearances are quite accurate but not as critical for this group of drivers, they are traveling to destinations regularly serviced by large trucks and tractor trailer combinations and they are very aware of this limitations in general. They keep their eyes open or they don't have a job for long, never get to be a professional.

BUT:
We are currently in Cross City FL with our Newmar Bus and Jeep Compass toad. Yesterday we took a little jaunt with the Jeep to Horseshoe Beach then over to Steinhatchee FL and we used the GPS (God Please Save us).
The OLD Garmin nuvi with updated maps the GPS took us on a shortcut from Rt 351 to a left onto SW 586 Ave right at the Little Creek General Store a nice gravel goad (oops did you see that sigh that said 'road under water', no but we are in the Jeep and we have 4 x 4 you up for some adventure?). This turned out to be a long gravel road that had been recently elevated to be above MOST of the water crossings and as we are just in the beginning of the rainy season we did not encounter water in the few remaining crossings that we obviously still below high water levels. Each time the GPS attempted to reroute us from 586 we slowed and gazed down the suggested route and said 'nope their grass growing between the tire ruts'. End result, we wouldn't have missed that drive for all the tea in China. But on our return trip to the Camp Ground we did not retrace our steps. Jeeps a little dusty but now we have this neat little story to tell our kids.
craigbenoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:55 AM   #132

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
I just programmed the thing to take us from E. TN to our first stop just south of Brevard NC.

I'd checked the route on Google Maps, all seemed very straight forward.
I normally run the GPS on my phone as backup, but am "breaking in a new phone" so I didn't.
The thing in the dash is kinda balky and doesn't like to be touched. I left it on the zoom where the POI's show and just did what it told me.

The route should have been I40 to 280 to 64. Done.

It took me through Hendersonville on roads that resulted in a couple curb jobs. Leaving Hendersonville, NC, it put me on 276, and then on progressively smaller roads through a couple national forests. After over an hour wandering the countryside, we came back on 276, and then it directed a turn down a road with a yellow sign that said "narrow curving mountain road not recommended for truck or large vehicle, SHARP TURNs!"

I bailed at this point, continuing on 276. I pulled off at the next parking area big enough to hold me, knocked on a strangers door, and said "my GPS is lost, how do I get to Adventure Village RV Resort?"

After some discussion, it was suggested I continue 8 miles on 276 to Brevard, then turn on 64 to the campground.

As I did so, that "THING" in my dash started screaming about "Exceeding the weight limit" on 64.

That thing in my dash turned a 45 minute cruise down a 4 lane divided highway into a 2 hour wander through the backwoods because it believed I was too heavy?
And it was wrong?

It is programmed properly, 62 feet long, 49,000 pounds...

Has anyone ever replaced theirs?
Can it be done while keeping the second screen with the cameras and putting the GPS display on the overhead TV?

I'm not used to a GPS that can't be trusted.
And this is not the first time.

Sorry for the long rant.
Experienced this when using google maps, went to settings, navigation and found route options was set to avoid highways. As with your description the gps kept routing to side roads. I removed this option and resolved my issue. May not be your problem but might be worth checking.
Dannie Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
I just programmed the thing to take us from E. TN to our first stop just south of Brevard NC.

Has anyone ever replaced theirs?
Can it be done while keeping the second screen with the cameras and putting the GPS display on the overhead TV?

I'm not used to a GPS that can't be trusted.
And this is not the first time.

Sorry for the long rant.
Been there, done that. There are lots of reasons GPS's to do that. Some have been listed on this thread. "Trust but verify". It took me a long time to learn to allow myself to stop and double check when something in the routing looks strange.

I finally abandoned the built in GPS in my 2015 Nissan. I now use a Garmin RV 770 EMT-S (780 is now available). I use the Nissan for other functions like cameras. The Nissan GPS also makes a good local area map in cities and towns when trying to "go around the block" to approach a stop from a better direction.

The Garmin is not perfect, but it is a lot better than the old Nissan GPS and the voice guidance is a lot better than any previous GPS's I have used.

Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps