RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First trip out in our CS, the GPS had no idea where we were or where we were going! Fortunately, I did. When we got back, I ordered a Garmin RV760. It knows where we are and where we are going!

TurboDaveTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2019, 10:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDaveTX View Post
First trip out in our CS, the GPS had no idea where we were or where we were going! Fortunately, I did. When we got back, I ordered a Garmin RV760. It knows where we are and where we are going!
I did the same. Our Nissan Pathfinder OEM GPS repeatedly did crazy things in northern Wisconsin. I bought the Garmin RV. It is the best GPS I have ever had including the Garmin NUVI.

The voice guidance is far less annoying and far more useful. I have always turned the voice off on previous GPS's. I leave it on with the Garmin RV. There are differences in the user interface I am slowly learning. But overall it is the best.

The Pathfinder GPS has a fairly large screen and physical zoom buttons. I use it as an area map to keep track surrounding roads, not for guidance. The Garmin RV also has that function but it has touch screen buttons that require concentration to stay on target for multiple presses.

This strategy works great in towns and cities. We can see if a side road has safe routes to a restaurant and back. On the highway we can look a head to verify the Garmin GPS instructions.

As a bonus, Garmin provides Base Camp, a free PC or Mac based map program the works with the Garmin GPS. I use it to plan routes and down load waypoints and other destinations to the GPS. Base Camp works without internet. We often are out of cell tower range. Google is better, but not always available and I have never learned to customize it for the things I do often.

Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #17

Back in 2011 our Garmin took us down progressively awful roads in Texas, with no place to turn around; from paved to gravel to hard dirt, to dust. We were programmed to avoid unpaved and small roads. But...we ended up on a single lane dust path through a cow pasture (frightening the whole herd, which fled en masse). It got us to the back entrance to the state park. Too bad the back entrance was closed and had been for quite a while, apparently, judging from the overgrowth of weeds around the gate. We pressed on, with no opportunity to turn around in our motorhome, until finally we met up with a larger road that eventually took us to the state park entrance that was open. It was an adventure, for sure! After that we learned to double check with the road atlas and ignore any GPS directions that took us down state roads and county roads (the orange and yellow ones).
NCPearlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:57 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Lots of posts with photos of people that follow a GPS blindly. https://www.hotcars.com/drivers-who-...d-paid-for-it/
If it doesn't look right, stop and check another source.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
I do our route planning, Rick does the driving (well, most of it since I do take over once in a while...when he's desperate). I plan the trip our before we leave, check it with RM Truckers Atlas, do it again on the coaches GPS and then run Google Maps as a back up when we are on unfamiliar roads. I like Google since I can keep it on satellite view and check out turns and roads in advance and give Rick a heads up if he will need an immediate lane switch. And I can pick out which "lane" at the Pilot gives us the best exit - before he commits to the one that requires the semis to J-hook to make it out . I also check the website of whichever campground we are using that night. Many times they will have directions that give a more direct, or safer, route than any that we get on the GPS. It's probably overkill but it's saved us a few times. One trip driving down a farm road almost big enough for two small cars, while praying for a school or a church, was all I needed to make me a believer.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 02:08 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
NEVER TRUST A GPS!
We use 2 and they go two different ways. Wrong turns, narrow roads, make a U-turn on a narrow road (60'). Go 80 miles out of the way when you can see the destination. Threw 2 out so far not accepting a good destination.
For guidance ONLY in a unfamiliar area.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
From the day we got our coach Iíve used Copilot RV running on an iPad Pro. Itís mirrored to the front TV (with voice instructions) through an Apple TV that sits in the compartment above the driverís seat.

The IPad is held in an articulated arm attached (and easily removable) to the grab poll next to the passenger seat. The arm holds the iPad at the proper height and distance in front of the passenger seat so my wife (the navigator) can zoom, change the route and perform any other function available on an iPad. Any changes show on the TV. IMO, it is significantly safer to glance up at the TV than it is to glance down at the small screen where the built-in nav is displayed.

Copilot maps are stored on the iPad and are updated about twice a year, online and through the app; no SD cards. I do map updates at home on a very high speed connection. I can plan, change, load and save trips days or weeks in advance, even while sitting at home while the coach is in storage. Of course, while parked or at home the iPad has almost unlimited functionality so itís not dedicated to navigation.

With the Mobley device that so many others have we have an always on connection to the outside world so while traveling the navigator can also do anything necessary assist in route guidance, including looking at the route in Google maps sat-View or looking ahead to rest stops or truck stops. Copilot continues to run in the background.

I wonít claim Copilot wonít lead you astray from time to time, but I think itís as dependable as any other commercial nav system. Usability-wise, it tops any built-in system.

Attachment 244839

Attachment 244840
In our previous coach, I used CoPilot RV, running on an iPad on a RAMM mount.
I also used it on my phone as my primary GPS.
It's CoPilot's fault I give my GPS more trust than it deserves.

I gave my old iPad to my grandson when we got the Entegra, and the Rand McNally has proved itself "not so good"

It looks like at least for now, the RV version of CoPilot doesn't exist for Android.

I'll be buying a new iPad and AppleTV ASAP

2017 Entegra Aspire, 2008 Monaco Knight, 2000 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #22

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
In our previous coach, I used CoPilot RV, running on an iPad on a RAMM mount.
I also used it on my phone as my primary GPS.
It's CoPilot's fault I give my GPS more trust than it deserves.

I gave my old iPad to my grandson when we got the Entegra, and the Rand McNally has proved itself "not so good"

It looks like at least for now, the RV version of CoPilot doesn't exist for Android.

I'll be buying a new iPad and AppleTV ASAP
You probably already know this - make sure you buy an iPad that has WiFi and cellular, not just WiFi. You donít need to connect cellular service, but you need the cellular version to get the GPS chip.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 04:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
You probably already know this - make sure you buy an iPad that has WiFi and cellular, not just WiFi. You donít need to connect cellular service, but you need the cellular version to get the GPS chip.
I did not know this!
Thank you!

Old 05-05-2019, 04:44 PM   #24

I had one like that years ago. Tried to put me in Tampa Bay Bay twice. Held a physics class with it when I got home. Explained mass, speed and kinetic energy to it with an 8 lb Ball Peen hammer. I think it understood completely.
Labrat46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:27 PM   #25

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat46 View Post
I had one like that years ago. Tried to put me in Tampa Bay Bay twice. Held a physics class with it when I got home. Explained mass, speed and kinetic energy to it with an 8 lb Ball Peen hammer. I think it understood completely.
Did it admit to the error of its ways?
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:34 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
No GPS can substitute for what you have between your ears. Your brain can tell when something the GPS says does not make sense, so use your brain to stay on top of the GPS routing. I have used about a dozen different GPS systems and the Rand McNally system that came with my coach is as good as any of them and better than most. I update it once or twice a year and they keep making it better through updated features.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:49 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
No GPS can substitute for what you have between your ears. Your brain can tell when something the GPS says does not make sense, so use your brain to stay on top of the GPS routing. I have used about a dozen different GPS systems and the Rand McNally system that came with my coach is as good as any of them and better than most. I update it once or twice a year and they keep making it better through updated features.
Marc, I totally agree with you. The only time I have had a RM problem is when I have been late to update the SD card.
Talking to a RM Tech the other day on the Trip Maker program, he told me the SD cards should be updated every 30 day while in use. I have been lax at that.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
If you say so.

Today we traveled back from Brevard to Asheville.
I set my destination in both the RM and the auto version of copilot on my phone.
Then I checked the routes on both GPS's, as well as looking on Google Maps.
The RM immediately wanted to take me off the main road onto the boonies.
I drove on up rt 64, a 4 lane divided highway, with that boat anchor trying to take me into the woods ate every turn while continually flashing that I was overweight for this road. It did this for an hour, all the way till I got on Interstate 26...

If it wasn't so tightly tied into the Entegra, I would try the ball peen adjustment!

Tags
gps