RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
Jim, time to call firefly and find out what the problem is with that unit. My 19 did that brand new before I updated the card, but you said you have updated the card. There has to be a problem with the unit. I have had two RM's and both have worked very well, except for the overweight or over length messages that I ignore.
My RM tells me that 90% of the RV park driveways are not rated for MH's.

2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2019, 09:24 PM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I can top you. Not only has our GPS tried to take us out, it tried to take out the International Space Station. Directed on a path that took us through a variety of low hanging obstructions. Went under a cable and when looking out the window, I realized we didnít miss it. I could see the pole out the left, but instead of the cable extending in the direction across our coach, it looked like it was extending towards the back. The BANG and there went the new antenna. Never found it, but my best guess it went wizzing past the Space Station.

Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:37 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Hit-The-Road

Any chance you have the "Take a tour of all liquor distilleries near your path" option checked on the third menu in under the "plan your trip button" on your GPS. You might want to look at that GPS menu.... Its easy to forget to un-check that box.

Gary

I'll have to check, I DO know that "Route me by all marinas within 10 mines of my route that have Trawlers for sale" is checked, but not sure about liquor distilleries!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:40 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Do you want to sell your GPS? I am sure there are a lot of buyers on this forum. "But Dear the GPS brought us here".

That's a thought, we live within 50 miles of at least eight distilleries, so I certainly don't need a GPS that tells me how to get there, since I already know how to get there without it by now!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:02 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
My experience with GPS has lead me to believe the GPS will only do what it is instructed to do. With that said there will always be "undocumented features" that you have to watch for.

Check your settings. If you check the avoid major highways box so you stay off of interstates it will look at alternatives. Checking the shortest or fastest route will give different results depending upon the situation.

Most confusing issue is when the GPS takes you down an off and on ramp to save distance on the highway.

I planned a route from home to a motorcycle rally. When it gave me the route distance it was over 2500 miles, when I was about 1200 miles from the destination. Problem was I had checked the avoid toll roads box. Yes it added about 1300 miles. There was one toll bridge between so it avoided the bridge and took us on a journey.

I find that it is better to plan a route in legs of about a days travel instead of the entire route of a long trip. Made the mistake of planning a 6000 mile trip in one route. Poor GPS had trouble recalculating!

The issue of updating has been addressed. Even if updated the maps can be out of date as mapping companies rely on reports from each road authority for current information. With todays budget restrictions some jurisdictions have fallen behind in updating their information. That applies to paper maps as well.

We have several GPS and like all of them. Have had some interesting experiences but nothing that was catastrophic.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:25 AM   #34

Entegra Owners Club
We have all had problems with GPS's. What was done to fix it? It was TXBart that posted his new 18 needed the SD card updated right out of the box. He is a professional pilot so I took his post to heart. Mine was the same way, updated it and have had no scenic tours that I didn't ask for. For those that have had your GPS go the wrong direction, what was the fix?

Gordan has a good point and something I am guilty of....checking that my setting stayed the same after an SD card update. I have learned something new listening to the fixes.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Another thing I noticed after I experienced the same issues was when I changed the weight of vehicle down a bit to like 42K and took the trailer off in my settings I had way less problems. If you have a Toad or trailer don't add it in the GPS settings. it will take you on weird routes. Really the only thing that can mess you up is a low bridge. Make sure your height is correct and you should be fine.
kevinantholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:16 PM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had a similar trip from Knoxville to Asheville last year. Should have been a straight shot along I-40. The GPS took us off at US 60 thru Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Decided to ignore the GPS and follow signs back to I-40. Got on to east bound I-40. As we were driving a sign appears “Tunnels Ahead” there are 2 of them. No problem with clearances etc. they are on the Interstate. But then it dawned on me to check the routing preferences on the GPS. Yup, had no tunnels checked. So the GPS was doing it’s job and not taking us thru those tunnels.
B-Man49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #37

I use Truckmiles.com to research my route to unknown territory. It is geared up
specifically for large trucks. I do not worry about low bridges, weight restrictions,
or other impediments to a large vehicle traveling to a new destination. If my GPS
has another route planned, I simply key in the first stop on Truckmiles route and
keep adjusting from there. The Truckmile routes can be longer and less scenic,
but no drama or worries from an ill planned route........
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
I just programmed the thing to take us from E. TN to our first stop just south of Brevard NC.

I'd checked the route on Google Maps, all seemed very straight forward.
I normally run the GPS on my phone as backup, but am "breaking in a new phone" so I didn't.
The thing in the dash is kinda balky and doesn't like to be touched. I left it on the zoom where the POI's show and just did what it told me.

The route should have been I40 to 280 to 64. Done.

It took me through Hendersonville on roads that resulted in a couple curb jobs. Leaving Hendersonville, NC, it put me on 276, and then on progressively smaller roads through a couple national forests. After over an hour wandering the countryside, we came back on 276, and then it directed a turn down a road with a yellow sign that said "narrow curving mountain road not recommended for truck or large vehicle, SHARP TURNs!"

I bailed at this point, continuing on 276. I pulled off at the next parking area big enough to hold me, knocked on a strangers door, and said "my GPS is lost, how do I get to Adventure Village RV Resort?"

After some discussion, it was suggested I continue 8 miles on 276 to Brevard, then turn on 64 to the campground.

As I did so, that "THING" in my dash started screaming about "Exceeding the weight limit" on 64.

That thing in my dash turned a 45 minute cruise down a 4 lane divided highway into a 2 hour wander through the backwoods because it believed I was too heavy?
And it was wrong?

It is programmed properly, 62 feet long, 49,000 pounds...

Has anyone ever replaced theirs?
Can it be done while keeping the second screen with the cameras and putting the GPS display on the overhead TV?

I'm not used to a GPS that can't be trusted.
And this is not the first time.

Sorry for the long rant.
I had a similar experience from Pensicola to Ft Laurderdale. Then again from NY to Road America in Elkhart Lake Wisconsin. Someone suggested that I need to back up the SD card. Until I do, I will rely on the old fashioned road atlas.

SMH
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:11 PM   #39

I will never trust a GPS and prefer maps.
junkyardjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #40

Also finally woke up and run Copilot after a harrowing drive through PA one rainy foggy night that up on narrow winding roads with potholes bigger enough to be tourist attractions for meteor hits. Spend the yearly 29.95 for Copilot. (I have no financial interest in Copilot or any other NAV system).
Sharpgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #41

well, if you knew the route then why in the world did you deviate?
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:16 PM   #42

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
I just programmed the thing to take us from E. TN to our first stop just south of Brevard NC.

I'd checked the route on Google Maps, all seemed very straight forward.
I normally run the GPS on my phone as backup, but am "breaking in a new phone" so I didn't.
The thing in the dash is kinda balky and doesn't like to be touched. I left it on the zoom where the POI's show and just did what it told me.

The route should have been I40 to 280 to 64. Done.

It took me through Hendersonville on roads that resulted in a couple curb jobs. Leaving Hendersonville, NC, it put me on 276, and then on progressively smaller roads through a couple national forests. After over an hour wandering the countryside, we came back on 276, and then it directed a turn down a road with a yellow sign that said "narrow curving mountain road not recommended for truck or large vehicle, SHARP TURNs!"

I bailed at this point, continuing on 276. I pulled off at the next parking area big enough to hold me, knocked on a strangers door, and said "my GPS is lost, how do I get to Adventure Village RV Resort?"

After some discussion, it was suggested I continue 8 miles on 276 to Brevard, then turn on 64 to the campground.

As I did so, that "THING" in my dash started screaming about "Exceeding the weight limit" on 64.

That thing in my dash turned a 45 minute cruise down a 4 lane divided highway into a 2 hour wander through the backwoods because it believed I was too heavy?
And it was wrong?

It is programmed properly, 62 feet long, 49,000 pounds...

Has anyone ever replaced theirs?
Can it be done while keeping the second screen with the cameras and putting the GPS display on the overhead TV?

I'm not used to a GPS that can't be trusted.
And this is not the first time.

Sorry for the long rant.

Not sure this is your problem but after wondering through some back roads in Indiana, I checked the settings on my GPS which were set to shortest route. I changed all the applicable settings for my RV and now believe it is working the way I want it. These things are not always that smart.

GWCowgill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps