RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
I just programmed the thing to take us from E. TN to our first stop just south of Brevard NC.

I'd checked the route on Google Maps, all seemed very straight forward.
I normally run the GPS on my phone as backup, but am "breaking in a new phone" so I didn't.
The thing in the dash is kinda balky and doesn't like to be touched. I left it on the zoom where the POI's show and just did what it told me.

The route should have been I40 to 280 to 64. Done.

It took me through Hendersonville on roads that resulted in a couple curb jobs. Leaving Hendersonville, NC, it put me on 276, and then on progressively smaller roads through a couple national forests. After over an hour wandering the countryside, we came back on 276, and then it directed a turn down a road with a yellow sign that said "narrow curving mountain road not recommended for truck or large vehicle, SHARP TURNs!"

I bailed at this point, continuing on 276. I pulled off at the next parking area big enough to hold me, knocked on a strangers door, and said "my GPS is lost, how do I get to Adventure Village RV Resort?"

After some discussion, it was suggested I continue 8 miles on 276 to Brevard, then turn on 64 to the campground.

As I did so, that "THING" in my dash started screaming about "Exceeding the weight limit" on 64.

That thing in my dash turned a 45 minute cruise down a 4 lane divided highway into a 2 hour wander through the backwoods because it believed I was too heavy?
And it was wrong?

It is programmed properly, 62 feet long, 49,000 pounds...

Has anyone ever replaced theirs?
Can it be done while keeping the second screen with the cameras and putting the GPS display on the overhead TV?

I'm not used to a GPS that can't be trusted.
And this is not the first time.

Sorry for the long rant.

Yes we had one that was always wrong. We found an update for it which corrected it. But we always use a backup on the phone , just to be sure.

Ddobson1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2019, 04:21 PM   #58

Fleetwood Owners Club
I wouldn’t GPS it alone

Already said by many but bears repeating that relying on the GPS alone is not a good approach to navigation!

We use Garmin RV and the Large Print Version of the Trucker’s Road Atlas. In four years using that combo, we’ve only been mis-directed a couple of times and, like others have said, it was pretty easily resolved by using common sense at the moment and checking the GPS settings later on. I have never heard of Co-Pilot before but will look into it.

I use RV Trip Wizard pretty extensively when planning a trip. It has features that allow you to manually select your route (drag and drop) and then that route can be exported to Garmin. Most of the time I don’t use that feature because the GPS and Atlas concur, but it’s nice to know it’s there. I’d probably use it more if I traveled solo. I would highly recommend to anyone that uses any other print Atlas (or travels without one) to consider switching to the Trucker’s Atlas. It includes a lot of information that is essential to safe RV travel. I prefer the large print because the inset maps are still readable

deemeehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:31 PM   #59

My Garmin RV 740 did a similar thing to me for a tunnel on US 101 near the Sea Lion Caves on the Oregon coast. It wanted to route me away from the coast, over to I-5, north a bit, then back to 101 with indication of why. We were northbound and there was traffic coming southbound so I assumed the road wasn't closed although there were no big rigs. I didn't bite but continued north on 101 knowing full well that U-turn options weren't very plentiful. About 5 miles away from the tunnel I relented and pulled over. I disconnected the toad to scout ahead. About two miles down the road, I encountered a southbound semi so I knew it wasn't a real issue. Long story short, my Garmin is programmed for a 13 foot coach height. The signage on the tunnel showed 11.5 feet clearance at the road edge, 14 feet at the fog line (lane edge) and 16 feet in the middle. The Garmin was apparently using the minimum published clearance. All-in-all, however, I am more than happy with the RV specific unit over Google Maps or automotive GPS units.
jmanderson42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #60

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Blue View Post
From the day we got our coach I’ve used Copilot RV running on an iPad Pro. It’s mirrored to the front TV (with voice instructions) through an Apple TV that sits in the compartment above the driver’s seat.

The IPad is held in an articulated arm attached (and easily removable) to the grab poll next to the passenger seat. The arm holds the iPad at the proper height and distance in front of the passenger seat so my wife (the navigator) can zoom, change the route and perform any other function available on an iPad.
Where did you get the iPod mount (and what is the model/pn)? I would like to have a setup like that in my coach.
Thanks
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #61

My Dad always told me that if you can't get it to work, just use a bigger Hammer. Sounds as if you could use that info. I did rely on Delorme for my mapping as it would work in my lap top and then we could plug it into our TV for the bigger picture if needed. Now, since I have a 5er, I use a Garmin Diesel GPS and so far it has been really good. It's in the family of GPS's that the truckers use so it's right on the money. Still, even after updating the map 4 times a year, I would never rely on any GPS 100%. I do check the route and view the roads from the google earth map if I'm not comfortable with its route. I have a smaller GPS, same company, that will tell me quite often to make a U-turn if I don't follow it's direction. I just ignore it and after a short while it re-programs using the route I'm on. The GPS I have will allow a camera to be plugged into it if needed, and I would bet the newer ones are even more flexible with addons. We travel from Knoxville all over the south and there are some really bad back roads that are not RV friendly. Anyway just thought I would throw in my two. No, my one and a half cents worth. Good luck on your new search for a GPS and wish you well.
bcso0416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuckett001 View Post
It is unlikely you weigh 49000 pounds.

Change it to 4900 and see if it does not fix the problem.
49,000 doesn't sound too far off. That may be OP's the total weight including toad. 4,900 is about the load on one front tire.

My coach has a GVWR of 46,3000. That is not unusual for a 42ft coach with tag (and OP may have a tag axle too).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #63

Sorry you had such a bad experience.

My GPS has got me in and out.....back and forth.....here and there.....

The only problem was when I forgot (or overlooked) to check the "no unpaved" box.

Having lived most of my life in the west, I never did do the "....take hwy 123 to 356 to....etc". I just went, for instance, west from here until I got to there.

Consequently, I tend to follow compasses.........

I use the GPS for addresses once I get close.
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #64

Is this GPS a RV or trucker specific? First you have to check your parameters, is weight, height, length, propane etc etc I never use google map as my main source for mapping unless you want to get stuck under a bridge one day, I use a trucker GPS and Rand McNally trucker paper maps and still gets me into trouble from time to time

Zzotte
Old 05-12-2019, 05:07 PM   #65

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuckett001 View Post
It is unlikely you weigh 49000 pounds.

Change it to 4900 and see if it does not fix the problem.

This is an Entegra Coach thread...most of us have tag axle class A coaches. 49,000 is not abnormal or inaccurate. Ours is 45' and weighs a little closer to 50,000. We have over 4900 on every wheel.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:31 PM   #66

the person using a GPS has to be smarter than the GPS
Kurtsara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:44 PM   #67

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Always, and I mean always, verify with your phone or computer maps. Yes, it is a little “Hal” from 2001 a Space ... mine wanted us to drive around the mountains on small roads for 8 hours in Wyoming because of a tunnel. And I have tunnels ok. There are many, many other disagreements I’ve had with Hal. I’ve learned to not trust him and do it my way. He eventually gives in.
I call mine Samantha, like on “bewitched”. She like to play with my head while I am driving. On I 10, she goes and says “recalculating”? Why does she play head games? My wife says I can’t spank her.
Jshemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 05:56 PM   #68

The part that I find the most scary about GPS units all wanting you go exploring is the thought of driverless cars. I have even had a GPS unit tell me to drive off of an overpass that was probably 30 feet in the air. Had that been a driverless car, it might have tried. I have very little faith in GPS. Once, my wife had SIRI, I had WAZE and a Garmin RV770 going and none of them agreed on how to get where we were going.
New to this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #69

Monaco Owners Club
90% of the issues I've heard of since I've been using GPS (in the 90's) have been outdated units/programs/maps...

The other 10% was usually NOT with Garmin units... where many other companies do multiple things like Map sales, etc... gps IS Garmin's business, both in cars, marine, and aviation... (and issues with car gps are much less of an issue than with boats running aground or airplanes hitting mountains )
Old 05-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #70

Spartan Chassis
Copilot RV

Victory Blue. I was wanting to know if this program requires active cell/data service to know your location and make any necessary changes? I have a MIFI ATT router running my devices all the time but have found in remote areas I lose signal sometimes away from major routes. What is your experiences? Thanks

maddogrdhg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps