RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2019, 07:20 PM   #71

I was going to Pigeon Forge with my new TT, Apple maps wanted me to go thru the tail of the dragon (a very popular racing bike road) I knew better. Then just below Knoxville, it took me down a county road that had a highway number as a shortcut, didn't look bad on the map, turns out, it was a very narrow two lane road that was about thirty miles long! Luckily not much traffic, and a Tacoma with a 25' trailer wasn't too bad to get through, but if I had been in my 36' Class A, they would have been some people hitting the ditch! LOL!

hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #72

I made a costly mistake because I trusted my cell GPS and learned to read the parks travel instructions. My GPS always routes the shortest distance, in this case it was up a reasonable slope on one hill, but then a very steep decline on the other side. I ended up ruining one brake of my TV, cancelling my next site and returning to my repair place for a costly repair. When I left the campground, I asked for the best way to get back to I 80. That was when I found that they had suggested taking on exit past where the GPS took me. It was a nice mostly level road back to 80. Learned my lesson.

RitaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:30 PM   #73

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I was heading for the Amana Colonies a few years back and my *&a#%%! Garmin put me in the middle of a graveyard with no way to turn around. If you are using an RV GPS keep in mind that there is a fastest route and a shortest route and there are sometimes vast differences in the route it selects. Probably you had the wrong one selected. There also is a detour function that will give you alternate routes and one of them may have been the one you were looking for. Next time, check your expected route with both Google maps and your GPS and adjust your GPS preferences accordingly. You might find that your GPS routes line up with the best path for your trip.
Steve 716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:40 PM   #74

Us too

Garmin set to rv with proper length/height tried to send us down the Saw Mill Parkway (NY state), which has a bunch of low bridges.
Late at night, tired, and lucky I saw the warning sign.
Police would not have been happy with me.
RickBetterl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:45 PM   #75

GPS

Download WAZE to your phone. I rarely have a problem of any kind .
Judge32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #76

Along the edge of my brother’s rural property is a large well groomed power line. The Garmin thinks it’s a road and has even given it a name. The engineers are obviously using Google Earth. So, your GPS is really great and really stupid at the same time.
What drives me bonkers is when you are on a perfectly good highway and it wants to drive you off through a subdivision and then back onto the same highway. Why!!!?? That’s not shortest or fastest or toll or nothing reasonable.
nancybninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:49 PM   #77

Newmar Owners Club
Wink Plan your trip using the Good Sam Club Trip Planner

For years I have used the Good Sam Club Trip Planner to plan all of my trips and then have transferred the route to my Rand McNally GPS. It will faithfully follow the pre-programmed route. In over 5 years and nearly 75 thousand miles of following this routine, I have not be led astray yet.
janelewbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 07:56 PM   #78

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelewbill View Post
For years I have used the Good Sam Club Trip Planner to plan all of my trips and then have transferred the route to my Rand McNally GPS. It will faithfully follow the pre-programmed route. In over 5 years and nearly 75 thousand miles of following this routine, I have not be led astray yet.
We now have to shop for a new program. As of April 1, 2019 Good Sam's will no longer be part of RM. I miss Good Sam's no longer working with RM.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #79

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpgt View Post
Also finally woke up and run Copilot after a harrowing drive through PA one rainy foggy night that up on narrow winding roads with potholes bigger enough to be tourist attractions for meteor hits. Spend the yearly 29.95 for Copilot. (I have no financial interest in Copilot or any other NAV system).
Well, you WERE in PA... we specialize in potholes here.
We always joke that we can tell when we cross the state line...
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #80

Fleetwood Owners Club
Once it worked...

Just to offer a bit of balance...
Had my coach less than a year. Came with co-pilot professional. Typically use google maps on my phone.
On a short, two-hour drive up in MI. Running both google maps and co-pilot, because like most, I didn't trust it yet and was still a nervous new driver in a 40' DP pulling a toad.
Google told me to turn from one divided highway onto another. I could see it was a direct route to the park I was headed to. Co-pilot telling me to keep straight, go another 10 miles north then turn on a different highway. Comparing the two it was like a triangle with google pointing me to the single direct leg. I made the turn google said.
Within two miles on a nice, divided 4-lane, I saw a sign - roundabout ahead. No side streets. No cross overs.
Long story short, made it through the roundabout - barely - fortunately no traffic since I took up the whole thing.
Also went right through the middle of a smaller town taking limbs of the quaint trees right beside the road, then through a construction zone over a bridge with non-standard-width lanes.

Now I listen to Co-pilot but check with google.... ;>)
USTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:28 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge32 View Post
Download WAZE to your phone. I rarely have a problem of any kind .
Agreed. Our daughter recently talked us into WAZE, and so far it's been perfect. [Just yesterday, it steered us to take a freeway route that was obviously longer in distance and time. I started to point that out to our daughter, when I remembered our usual route was severely backed up due to a renaissance festival - saved us at least 30 minutes of stop-and-go!] Thanks,

BG
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #82

Jim donít know what GPS your motor has but when towing my fifth wheel I donít use their built in GPS on my 5500 Ram I do use a Rand McNally except for some weird stuff every now and then itís worked pretty well. I do check the road atlas for truckers routes. One problem with rand is that it sometimes changes the route as you drive so you need to be careful. Many years ago I tried copilot but abandoned it after it wanted to take me over a pedestrian bridge. And Rand shut down after screaming over height warning an the GSP in NJ. We knew were we were going so we laughed like hell. Itís like President Reagan said ďTrust but verifyĒ
PS95Bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:45 PM   #83

I live in Hendersonville,NC and I'm a heavy equipment operator and truck driver here. I can tell you for sure never trust GPS in the mountains. Wrong directions here can be very dangerous and extremely frustrating at the least. If you ever go to Orchard Lake Campground in Saluda,NC follow the directions they provide. GPS will sometimes bring people up from Spartanburg SC on 176 and in a back road that has a railroad bridge that's only 11'6" high and if you get under that and miss the next left turn you end up on a one lane gravel windy road with a tunnel that won't clear for a RV or motorhome. By the way Orchard Lake is a beautiful campground with great people as are many of the places here. Exercise extra care for good safe directions here for yourself and your equipment. Hope you enjoy your stay and the rest of it goes better.
bbjr1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:52 PM   #84

GPS Tried to Kill Me

OMG. My husband and I have been on 276 several times on a motorcycle and I have driven it in a Ford Expedition that felt way too big for that road not to mention it is over 4000 feet in elevation when you cross the Blue Ridge Pkwy at its apex. No way you would have made it in a motorhome on that road. Thank goodness you bailed.

marijo1953 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps