RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #85

Rattlesnake Road

Went to the Fort Walton area of Florida last week. Had been to Eglin Air Force Base several times but never at night. Magellan GPS told me to turn right onto Rattlesnake Rd. so I did. The Road kept getting narrower and narrower. Come to find out that all the property on my left was government property. Was pulling a 20 foot trailer behind my 27 foot Winnie. Wife had to get out with a flashlight and check my six till I got the rig turned around. Got back on the main road and the entrance to the base was 5 miles from where I turned. I hate these things sometimes!

acpd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2019, 08:16 PM   #86

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddogrdhg View Post
Victory Blue. I was wanting to know if this program requires active cell/data service to know your location and make any necessary changes? I have a MIFI ATT router running my devices all the time but have found in remote areas I lose signal sometimes away from major routes. What is your experiences? Thanks
No internet connection is required to use Copilot. The maps are stored on the device, an iPad in my case, and are updated about twice a year. The device does have to have a GPS chip for GPS location; remote locations have no effect on GPS.

2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #87

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Where did you get the iPod mount (and what is the model/pn)? I would like to have a setup like that in my coach.
Thanks
The arm is from Joy Factory: https://www.thejoyfactory.com/collec...arm-mount-only

I have the c-clamp version, purchased through Amazon.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 05-12-2019, 08:51 PM   #88

I use CoPilot Truck on an Android tablet. I had the RV Garmin take me down terrible routes routinely, so I sold it to a friend who doesn't have an RV. I use the truck version of CoPilot because it has the "Practical " routing option. Practical is better than fastest or shortest when planning a route for a big rig.
EarlyFords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:05 PM   #89

I have a Garmin Desi 700 GPS that I purchased 7 years ago when I begin full-timing in a motorhome. My home base is Arizona. I have traveled from Florida to California. To the Great Lakes and all the
way up the coast of California, Oregon, and the Pacific Northwest. Traveled South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming. Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska.All using my GPS. Never have I experienced a serious problem. Never have I been lead to a road that I could not handle. Just lucky I quess?
mikemacc66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:03 AM   #90

Settings on GPS

Make sure you are on "Fastest Route" not Senic. For some reason mine jumped to Senic from Fastest Route. So now I check my settings each time I travel.
royd.strait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:55 AM   #91

Garmin RV 770 also does strange routing

I had a rand McNally a long time the screen died so I thought I would step up to a garment. Course I use Google maps and parallel but what drives me crazy about the Garmin is thinks my RV is a truck and routes me down truck routes. Also gives warnings that would be correct for truck but legal for RVs
twestheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:00 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by royd.strait View Post
Make sure you are on "Fastest Route" not Senic. For some reason mine jumped to Senic from Fastest Route. So now I check my settings each time I travel.
excellent point. fastest vs scenic or shortest is your best shot at avoiding routing issues.
rk911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:26 AM   #93

DW and I were in our car, using a Garmin that we use as a backup in the coach, and we were looking for Jamestown, VA. The First English settlement in this country. We stopped at our destination using old fashioned signs, and I decided to call Garmin. Eighteen minutes on hold. When a person answered and I told her what I was looking for she said "Let me pull up Google maps."
After a few minutes I told her I guess I'll get a holder for my phone and use Google Maps instead of trusting the Garmin.
I would like to think the first English colony would have been in the first release of Garmin maps.
Webz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:28 AM   #94

Entegra Owners Club
Reading the post this morning, I see a few that should not be driving big rigs without taking a class in maps reading and navigation first.
I am one the believers there should be a drivers license requirement to drive a class A. Lots of example have been posted why it is needed.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:13 AM   #95

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Reading the post this morning, I see a few that should not be driving big rigs without taking a class in maps reading and navigation first.
I am one the believers there should be a drivers license requirement to drive a class A. Lots of example have been posted why it is needed.
Chuck,

Your point about learning navigation is dead on. Fortunately, in today's world technology allows us to do something that couldn't be done with paper maps - "fly" the route before ever driving the route. This will work for any nav system once the route has been determined.

For my routing style, which is stay on the interstates to get where I'm going, it's only the last few miles after leaving the interstate that I'm concerned with. Nevertheless, I look at all of the non-interstate roads Copilot is taking me on and view them on Google maps in satellite view.

Zoomed in and scrolling along each road (flying) I look for any signs I don't belong on that particular road: hairpin turns or residential areas, for example. I check whether the road is 2 or 4 lanes and if, during the Google photo mapping process, there were any large trucks on the road. It doesn't take long to survey a route and by the time I'm done I have confidence in the route I'll be traveling.

I have found this to be a very dependable method to know about roads before I drive them. For anyone choosing to avoid the interstates a process like this is a must.

BTW, this is also one of the great advantages of using an app like Copilot, rather than the built-in nav system: I can sit at home or in a campground, watching TV or sitting outside, map my route(s), and check it(them) thoroughly on Google maps days or months before I'm traveling. And I can do this for as many different trips, including alternate routes, as I have the ambition to do. When it's time to travel I just load the appropriate saved (and audited) route.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Old 05-13-2019, 07:30 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuckett001 View Post
It is unlikely you weigh 49000 pounds.

Change it to 4900 and see if it does not fix the problem.
It is not unlikely for a class A to be 49000 overweight maybe but my Ram 5500 is 10,000 there is no class A even empty that ways 4900
PS95Bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:32 AM   #97

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by owendell View Post
Wait..."It is programmed properly, 62 feet long, 49,000 pounds.." ???

Are you really 49,000 pounds???? That seems super heavy to me. I have a 40 foot 5th wheel and I think our weight is 12,500 dry even adding the truck and all the rest of the contents I can't imagine anything would be near that heavy...but I could be wrong.
Our coach and trailer are 53,000. The truck and trailer we had, F450 and 43' 5er were 28,000.

I believe your weight is understated. Your truck should be in the 7 - 8,000 lb range.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:34 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
We now have to shop for a new program. As of April 1, 2019 Good Sam's will no longer be part of RM. I miss Good Sam's no longer working with RM.
Good Sam new system sucks period more Marcus saving money

PS95Bx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps