Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2019, 05:28 AM   #1

Exclamation GPS tried to kill us in N.Carolina!!!

I just programmed the thing to take us from E. TN to our first stop just south of Brevard NC.

I'd checked the route on Google Maps, all seemed very straight forward.
I normally run the GPS on my phone as backup, but am "breaking in a new phone" so I didn't.
The thing in the dash is kinda balky and doesn't like to be touched. I left it on the zoom where the POI's show and just did what it told me.

The route should have been I40 to 280 to 64. Done.

It took me through Hendersonville on roads that resulted in a couple curb jobs. Leaving Hendersonville, NC, it put me on 276, and then on progressively smaller roads through a couple national forests. After over an hour wandering the countryside, we came back on 276, and then it directed a turn down a road with a yellow sign that said "narrow curving mountain road not recommended for truck or large vehicle, SHARP TURNs!"

I bailed at this point, continuing on 276. I pulled off at the next parking area big enough to hold me, knocked on a strangers door, and said "my GPS is lost, how do I get to Adventure Village RV Resort?"

After some discussion, it was suggested I continue 8 miles on 276 to Brevard, then turn on 64 to the campground.

As I did so, that "THING" in my dash started screaming about "Exceeding the weight limit" on 64.

That thing in my dash turned a 45 minute cruise down a 4 lane divided highway into a 2 hour wander through the backwoods because it believed I was too heavy?
And it was wrong?

It is programmed properly, 62 feet long, 49,000 pounds...

Has anyone ever replaced theirs?
Can it be done while keeping the second screen with the cameras and putting the GPS display on the overhead TV?

I'm not used to a GPS that can't be trusted.
And this is not the first time.

Sorry for the long rant.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2019, 05:36 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Always, and I mean always, verify with your phone or computer maps. Yes, it is a little “Hal” from 2001 a Space ... mine wanted us to drive around the mountains on small roads for 8 hours in Wyoming because of a tunnel. And I have tunnels ok. There are many, many other disagreements I’ve had with Hal. I’ve learned to not trust him and do it my way. He eventually gives in.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:16 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I've had our various GPS's throw us off routes and drive miles out of the way for no reason I could determine.

I don't trust any of them anymore. I still use them, but I make sure I absolutely know the route ahead of time and stop to verify if I suspect something isn't right.

I sometimes think some "geeks" in the software departments where they design these, think it's hilarious.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:31 AM   #4

Spartan Chassis
From the day we got our coach I’ve used Copilot RV running on an iPad Pro. It’s mirrored to the front TV (with voice instructions) through an Apple TV that sits in the compartment above the driver’s seat.

The IPad is held in an articulated arm attached (and easily removable) to the grab poll next to the passenger seat. The arm holds the iPad at the proper height and distance in front of the passenger seat so my wife (the navigator) can zoom, change the route and perform any other function available on an iPad. Any changes show on the TV. IMO, it is significantly safer to glance up at the TV than it is to glance down at the small screen where the built-in nav is displayed.

Copilot maps are stored on the iPad and are updated about twice a year, online and through the app; no SD cards. I do map updates at home on a very high speed connection. I can plan, change, load and save trips days or weeks in advance, even while sitting at home while the coach is in storage. Of course, while parked or at home the iPad has almost unlimited functionality so it’s not dedicated to navigation.

With the Mobley device that so many others have we have an always on connection to the outside world so while traveling the navigator can also do anything necessary assist in route guidance, including looking at the route in Google maps sat-View or looking ahead to rest stops or truck stops. Copilot continues to run in the background.

I won’t claim Copilot won’t lead you astray from time to time, but I think it’s as dependable as any other commercial nav system. Usability-wise, it tops any built-in system.

Click image for larger version

Name:	7102C8F4-F89F-4877-A809-F28C26D0106B.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	244839

Click image for larger version

Name:	D53B4581-6FDB-493A-9AA9-9B82AF994ABD.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	244840
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:35 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Jim, your rant is justified. I get the same thing and ignore it. On good highways I have been on before it constantly tells me I will be "over weight or exceed the length" of my intended route as soon as I leave the Interstate, which is often. Many times I am following a Semi when RM starts her nonsense. I ignore her and follow the truck

I still check my route with a road Atlas that the routes are heavy red (nice 2 lanes) or yellow, (4 lanes). If anything else, route the GPS to a point on the dark red highway, then continue on, the GPS will make the correction to stay on the good Hwy. If there is a light red 2 lane to connect where I want to go, I'll check it with Google Earth. Usually it is just a narrow shouldered 2 lane fine for a couple of miles. When the GPS tells me I am overweight, I continue on my pre-planned route. I just spent three days routing from Bella Terra to Big Sky, mostly off of Interstate with Google maps and RM Road Atlas where I know it is good. When the GPS starts her sh--, I will just ignore it and continue on, finally she comes around. If there is a low over pass warning, that one I will pay attention to, but they are usually 13.6 which I am fine to clear, but I do slow down.

You found one of the quirks with the Rand McNally that is to be ignored and follow the RM paper map, the GPS will catch up. Another tip I have found is to check RV Parky for a Walmart in the area, then Google Earth it. If there are Semis in the parking lot, the highway is good and the GPS can be ignored. Having been a pilot before nice GPS's we plotted everything on a paper charts then got there using the VOR. I guess old habits are hard to break. The VOR's at smaller airports would sometime be down and we relied on the paper chart, I still do the same with the road atlas.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:42 AM   #6

Trying to make time up from a late start(first mistake), our gps had us turn right instead of left..had it been lighter out we would have seen our Harvest Host stop. Instead, off we go down a secondary road clueless. Next road warning sign says 17% grade. %#@&!,.....My driving class instructor would have been proud of my three point turn.
Slept at a truck stop.
Lessen learned. Take your time, don’t push, and verify.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 06:45 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Always, and I mean always, verify with your phone or computer maps. Yes, it is a little “Hal” from 2001 a Space ... mine wanted us to drive around the mountains on small roads for 8 hours in Wyoming because of a tunnel. And I have tunnels ok. There are many, many other disagreements I’ve had with Hal. I’ve learned to not trust him and do it my way. He eventually gives in.
The one I love is a Walmart right in front of you but the GPS wants to take you though downtown so it will be a right turn into the Walmart parking lot instead of making the left turn right in front of you. Another ignore situation.
Old 05-05-2019, 06:45 AM   #8

Last month on Monday I downloaded the new software and maps on my Garmin. Left Tues to drive to NYC. Everything was fine till I got to Maryland. It keep telling me to get off of 95 but I was in a car and know it was ok to go through the tunnel. When I got to Delaware it put me on a road I wasn't sure of. When I saw the sign that said welcome to Penn ,I knew I was lost. Pulled off of the road and tried to program the GPS to take me to the Holland tunnel.
It come back that was a toll road. I knew something changed. You cannot get to Manhattan without paying a toll. When I up dated my GPS it reprogramed all my settings and I did not realize it till I got to Delaware. Finally used the apps in my cell phone to get me to NYC.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:13 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
JettyJock, you brought up a good point about checking the settings after an update. My phone changes settings all the time with updates, didn't think about the GPS. On my list to run through the settings after updating, thanks!
Old 05-05-2019, 07:16 AM   #10

No one should ever follow any GPS blindly. The machine does not replace a human brain and intelligence and judgement.

I always carry a Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas in the coach. We drive nowhere without it, and we never start a route without examining the route carefully on the Atlas (noting what roads are approved for commercial traffic) and which roads are not. Then I examine the trip we are planning on something like Google maps or Google earth and if there is anything that seems strange on it, then I examine it carefully with the satellite view and look at the situation closely from above. Now, I also minimize problems by feeling comfortable driving interstates. There are those that try to avoid interstates and enjoy seeing the country from secondary roads or US Highways, and if you are one of those travelers you will bear a much greater responsibility to really explore your course of travel ahead of time..... that is the job of whoever is navigator. We travel interstates between cities in most cases because it is easy and it is fast and there are all the services that we probably need. However, when we need to get off the interstates, then it is my job to carefully plan how we are going to get there. My GPS is also programmed with our length (with toad) and weight, however, the program does not know that you are 45 feet + 20 feet on the toad and hitch. So, you just have to use your head all the time. One simply cannot depend on a machine no matter what it says.

In talking to my agent insurance last Friday, we were talking about sky-high insurance rates and claims and she told me about a client of hers who owns a new Provost bus conversion (2 million ++) who caused $200,000 + damage to :their coach by following a GPS direction down a road that was clearly marked as "NO Large Vehicles". Her comment essentially boiled down to "there is no cure for lack of judgement" (that quote is actually a little different, but for here, the change is appropriate).

Another issue is we also carry a second GPS and have it running all the time. One is set to fastest time and one set to shortest distance. And both are contrasted with my and with Dee's good judgement. And if it all doesn't square with good judgement, then we stop and figure it out. Would I ever turn off the GPSes and ignore what they are telling me...... NO. They are too good most of the time. But they are just another source of information to be compared to everything else. My biggest problem I ever encountered was the GPS warning me against crossing a bridge because I was over weight (it was essentially a culvert and after unhitching and turning around, I watched a bunch of fully loaded semis cross that bridge with no trouble at all....)

I think it was Reagan that said "Trust, but verify"

We've all made mistakes, and we have all usually learned from them.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:44 AM   #11

What was it Reagan said? "Trust but Verify!" I think. Our current "Good Sam" RV GPS recently (as in last week) tried to turn on onto an unpaved, weed overgrown in Texas, marked as a major road on the GPS . . . nor does it seem to have portions of Interstate 49 north in it's database between Houston and Texarkana . . .

It's been recently updated (two months ago).

In Kentucky, Northbound from Salvisa to Frankfort, or Louisville, it persistently wants to turn on off of Highway 127, down a bunch of backroads for about 8 miles, then BACK onto Highway 127, approximately 2 miles BEFORE it originally turned us off . . . .

It does a similar trick off of the Bluegrass Parkway Westbound to Elizibethtown, KY.

The only thing I can find in common with both detours, it that the first one coincidentally takes you past Four Roses Distillery, which has tours and a gift shop, and pays a LOT of money in advertising and the second "detour" just happens to try and take us past Maker's Mark Distillery, which ALSO has tours and a gift shop . . .

Both are out of the way, both add from 8 to 22 miles to the route, taking you OFF of major roads in favor of small roads with windy turns.

I don't know how GPS database providers get their money, but I have my suspicions . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #12

Hit-The-Road

Any chance you have the "Take a tour of all liquor distilleries near your path" option checked on the third menu in under the "plan your trip button" on your GPS. You might want to look at that GPS menu.... Its easy to forget to un-check that box.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #13

------

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:49 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
The only thing I can find in common with both detours, it that the first one coincidentally takes you past Four Roses Distillery, which has tours and a gift shop, and pays a LOT of money in advertising and the second "detour" just happens to try and take us past Maker's Mark Distillery, which ALSO has tours and a gift shop . . .

I don't know how GPS database providers get their money, but I have my suspicions . . .
Do you want to sell your GPS? I am sure there are a lot of buyers on this forum. "But Dear the GPS brought us here".

Tags
gps