Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2019, 03:17 PM   #43

More GPS Fun

We have a Garmin Nuvi 465T. It lets you enter your weight, height, width, and length.

But it's happened to me twice. Once near Indiana PA, where every route to my destination had a weight-restricted bridge (we have a 40' Class A). The route it sent us did not indicated a weight-restricted bridge until we were too far down the road to turn around.

Another was heading from NC to VA near Chesapeake, VA. Told the GPS to avoid toll roads, and it promptly sent us down a highway with a weight-restricted bridge that provided no opportunity to turn around.

We did not crush either bridge.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2019, 03:18 PM   #44

I feel for you -

I live in Hendersonville, have to go to E Tenn, Brevard etc, quite frequently, and will not drive that route in my car! My GPS did the same thing - ONCE - and that was enough. I can’t imagine doing it in your Rig.

Sorry for the unfriendly welcome to Western NC. Actually, Hendersonville is quite nice when one isn’t stressed and taking out curbs.
Sophiegirl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:22 PM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Reading this thread, I can't help but wonder just how far off we are from self driving cars. That is an endeavor that is much more difficult than plotting a route from A to B that is safe and efficient. I can see a huge traffic jam on some of those cow paths my GPS has led me down. Without a steering wheel, how are we going to exercise parental supervision? Ctrl-alt-delete!
Old 05-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
I just programmed the thing to take us from E. TN to our first stop just south of Brevard NC.

I'd checked the route on Google Maps, all seemed very straight forward.
I normally run the GPS on my phone as backup, but am "breaking in a new phone" so I didn't.
The thing in the dash is kinda balky and doesn't like to be touched. I left it on the zoom where the POI's show and just did what it told me.

The route should have been I40 to 280 to 64. Done.

It took me through Hendersonville on roads that resulted in a couple curb jobs. Leaving Hendersonville, NC, it put me on 276, and then on progressively smaller roads through a couple national forests. After over an hour wandering the countryside, we came back on 276, and then it directed a turn down a road with a yellow sign that said "narrow curving mountain road not recommended for truck or large vehicle, SHARP TURNs!"

I bailed at this point, continuing on 276. I pulled off at the next parking area big enough to hold me, knocked on a strangers door, and said "my GPS is lost, how do I get to Adventure Village RV Resort?"

After some discussion, it was suggested I continue 8 miles on 276 to Brevard, then turn on 64 to the campground.

As I did so, that "THING" in my dash started screaming about "Exceeding the weight limit" on 64.

That thing in my dash turned a 45 minute cruise down a 4 lane divided highway into a 2 hour wander through the backwoods because it believed I was too heavy?
And it was wrong?

It is programmed properly, 62 feet long, 49,000 pounds...

Has anyone ever replaced theirs?
Can it be done while keeping the second screen with the cameras and putting the GPS display on the overhead TV?

I'm not used to a GPS that can't be trusted.
And this is not the first time.

Sorry for the long rant.
Welcome to the beautiful NC mountains. That said, yes, in these mountains GPS can be highly unreliable. WAAS enable units, quite common in aviation, adjust for those anomalies but at a significant cost D. Having paper maps are a must unless you're familiar with the area.
cfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:28 PM   #47

Wait what?

Wait..."It is programmed properly, 62 feet long, 49,000 pounds.." ???

Are you really 49,000 pounds???? That seems super heavy to me. I have a 40 foot 5th wheel and I think our weight is 12,500 dry even adding the truck and all the rest of the contents I can't imagine anything would be near that heavy...but I could be wrong.
owendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #48

Been sent down a muddy single lane sod farm road with TomTom. To a 10 foot high bridge with Garmin truck version. Several nowhere runs with Magellan trucker version. Have had all three plus an additional Magellan die shortly after 1 year. These where all 7 inch top of the line hundreds of bucks units. Not sure which is next if I can't get the current Magellan back on line.
LarryFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:37 PM   #49

Lost GPS

I think we've all been on a 'lost road`, like on a road detour in a rain storm and find yourself headed up Beach Mountain, NC. I've had the best experience with Gramin (programed w/McNally RV info.) and Rand Mc. Truckers Atlas within reach.
max408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #50

I can top that! We were traveling from West Virginia to Virginia Beach using a friends phone for directions. All was going well until we pulled up to the gate of a power plant that had armed guards ready to defend the place, no questions asked. They made it pretty clear that we had drifted off course and wouldn’t be welcomed with open arms.
gwswisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:42 PM   #51

GPS almost killed you...here's a real horror story.

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...nfallible.html
Old 05-12-2019, 03:45 PM   #52

Quote:
I just programmed the thing to take us from E. TN to our first stop just south of Brevard NC.

I normally run the GPS on my phone as backup, but am "breaking in a new phone" so I didn't.
The thing in the dash is kinda balky and doesn't like to be touched. I left it on the zoom where the POI's show and just did what it told me.

It took me through Hendersonville on roads that resulted in a couple curb jobs. Leaving Hendersonville, NC, it put me on 276, and then on progressively smaller roads through a couple national forests. After over an hour wandering the countryside, we came back on 276, and then it directed a turn down a road with a yellow sign that said "narrow curving mountain road not recommended for truck or large vehicle, SHARP TURNs!"

I bailed at this point, continuing on 276. I pulled off at the next parking area big enough to hold me, knocked on a strangers door, and said "my GPS is lost, how do I get to Adventure Village RV Resort?"

After some discussion, it was suggested I continue 8 miles on 276 to Brevard, then turn on 64 to the campground.

As I did so, that "THING" in my dash started screaming about "Exceeding the weight limit" on 64.

That thing in my dash turned a 45 minute cruise down a 4 lane divided highway into a 2 hour wander through the backwoods because it believed I was too heavy?
And it was wrong?

Can it be done while keeping the second screen with the cameras and putting the GPS display on the overhead TV?

Sorry for the long rant.
I once had a Rand-McNally $250-300$ Gps that was just as bad. As soon as I entered the freeway on a long trip it had me making left turns off the freeway. I ditched it after getting tired of recalculating and more left turns. I turned it off, opened the paper map and used it to my destination. Sold the varmint on Ebay and gave the buyer the stress to go with it. Never heard back from the buyer. Probably still wandering the back roads.
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #53

Correct your programmed weight!!!

It is unlikely you weigh 49000 pounds.

Change it to 4900 and see if it does not fix the problem.

Quote:

And it was wrong?

Sorry for the long rant.
jpuckett001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:49 PM   #54

Workhorse Chassis Owner
GPS

For those who use Garmin. Does nobody here use the Garmin Basecamp PC program to design a route?? I would never the the navigator itself to make a route for a long trip. I always let Basecamp design the route and then check it from one end to the other, making any corrections, and then load it into the navigator.
lvanduyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #55
CLR

We have a one year old Rand Mcnally RV70 GPS that we no longer trust. It has taken us down some crazy side roads lately. It is updated and all setting rechecked. My wife now runs her Ipad at the same time and we have found some Major issues with the GPS.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:02 PM   #56

Never trust GPS on AZ roads that deadend on top of overpasses. It always told us to go straight.
Still laughing... Obviously there was a road in front but the step off would be MURDER...
Hwy 64 fooled us also. 1st sign said overpass 14'. 2nd sign (too late to turn around 38' moho) read 11'. Finally found a campground that had a horseshoe so tight the front & back was touching shrubs that we could spend a night & turn back.
It happens. Make a memory & share it.
SYDTR
jdandkity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps