Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2019, 06:24 AM   #1

Gray tank does not drain through macerator

Not sure why, but my gray tank will not drain through the macerator unless I run the pump. Bypass off, macerator valve open etc. All fluids will drain when I run the pump. Any ideas?
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2019, 06:34 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
Not sure why, but my gray tank will not drain through the macerator unless I run the pump. Bypass off, macerator valve open etc. All fluids will drain when I run the pump. Any ideas?
Mine will do that sometimes when I first setup. After I notice the tank is not draining I simply turn on the macerator pump for a few seconds then turn it off and gravity takes over. Its like it has to be primed to start. Then no problem after that.
Old 04-21-2019, 06:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsour View Post
Mine will do that sometimes when I first setup. After I notice the tank is not draining I simply turn on the macerator pump for a few seconds then turn it off and gravity takes over. Its like it has to be primed to start. Then no problem after that.
I will try that
Old 04-21-2019, 06:41 AM   #4

Buddy

I will acknowledge up front, I dont really know and am just guessing, BUT, my 19 Cornerstone gray tank will not passively drain through the macerator hose naturally all of the time. It does sometimes, but I would guess that 75% of the time, it does not and has to be pumped out.

Here are my assumed explanations. First, a macerator drain system is an active system and designed so that all gray and black must pass through the macerator pump, to be shredded and pressure applied to deliver the contents the distance out through the hose (some of which is actually vertical stand pipe before it gets to the hose. So, one should expect to always have to run the pump to pump out the tanks. If you want a gravity drain, then I would not use the macerator system and would connect up a stinky slinky type hose to the second set of connectors running downward from the wet bay and out through the cap and gravity from there. I have assumed that sometimes the macerator pump simply stops in a place where water can easily bypass the blades and pump itself and is able to drain, whereas other times, the pump blades stop in a position that virtually blocks any fluid from passing. As I say, sometimes my system drains through the sanicon hose and other times it does not. I have found that I like the sanicon hose system sufficiently that I no longer am willing to get down on the ground to run the stinky slinky and I would rather turn the macerator pump on and off to drain through the sanicon hose.

Possibly you mean that you are in fact using the old stinky slinky type hose and fitting and it is not draining through that hose. In that situation, I can only think that the valve directing water flow through the old stinky slinky type system is blocked with some debris or broken. I would try draining through the sanicon system and see how that works and then try the lower slinky system again and see if things have freed up.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:35 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I discovered I had same problem and neither tank would drain even with macerator on.

Tried everything including rapping on side of macerator. Finally decided to take the end cap off the nozzle that I’d left on when I stuck the nozzle into the ground connection
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Buddy

I will acknowledge up front, I dont really know and am just guessing, BUT, my 19 Cornerstone gray tank will not passively drain through the macerator hose naturally all of the time. It does sometimes, but I would guess that 75% of the time, it does not and has to be pumped out.

Here are my assumed explanations. First, a macerator drain system is an active system and designed so that all gray and black must pass through the macerator pump, to be shredded and pressure applied to deliver the contents the distance out through the hose (some of which is actually vertical stand pipe before it gets to the hose. So, one should expect to always have to run the pump to pump out the tanks. If you want a gravity drain, then I would not use the macerator system and would connect up a stinky slinky type hose to the second set of connectors running downward from the wet bay and out through the cap and gravity from there. I have assumed that sometimes the macerator pump simply stops in a place where water can easily bypass the blades and pump itself and is able to drain, whereas other times, the pump blades stop in a position that virtually blocks any fluid from passing. As I say, sometimes my system drains through the sanicon hose and other times it does not. I have found that I like the sanicon hose system sufficiently that I no longer am willing to get down on the ground to run the stinky slinky and I would rather turn the macerator pump on and off to drain through the sanicon hose.

Possibly you mean that you are in fact using the old stinky slinky type hose and fitting and it is not draining through that hose. In that situation, I can only think that the valve directing water flow through the old stinky slinky type system is blocked with some debris or broken. I would try draining through the sanicon system and see how that works and then try the lower slinky system again and see if things have freed up.

Gary
Thanks, Gary. I'm not sure either. Nate's will gravity drain, but that could be because he has modified his outlet. I'm thinking it'a simply air locked. I wonder if it would be possible to wire a macerator switch inside the coach? That would be convenient
Old 04-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
Thanks, Gary. I'm not sure either. Nate's will gravity drain, but that could be because he has modified his outlet. I'm thinking it'a simply air locked. I wonder if it would be possible to wire a macerator switch inside the coach? That would be convenient
Yes, its possible to put switches for the macerator and the tanks in the coach. I had someone do it for me this winter. I only had them put a switch in for the gray tank and a momentary switch for the macerator. That allows me to leave the gray tank open for doing laundry and if its airlocked I can hit the macerator switch for a few seconds and it starts the draining process and there is no risk of me walking away and leaving the macerator running dry.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
Yes, its possible to put switches for the macerator and the tanks in the coach. I had someone do it for me this winter. I only had them put a switch in for the gray tank and a momentary switch for the macerator. That allows me to leave the gray tank open for doing laundry and if its airlocked I can hit the macerator switch for a few seconds and it starts the draining process and there is no risk of me walking away and leaving the macerator running dry.
Nice.
Old 04-21-2019, 10:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Taj View Post
I discovered I had same problem and neither tank would drain even with macerator on.

Tried everything including rapping on side of macerator. Finally decided to take the end cap off the nozzle that I’d left on when I stuck the nozzle into the ground connection.
I thought I'd made every mistake an RV owner can make. I'll have to add this one to my to-do list.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:18 AM   #10

Grey water gravity drain

When we first had our Anthem I noticed that the gray tank would not gravity drain through the macerator hose until the tank was about 75-80% full. Came to realize that with the hose running from the macerator up through the little side door and then down to the discharge the flow would not happen until the water level of the gray tank was even with the edge of the hose at the door. Once it started it would empty until the siphon action was broken.
I eliminated this by modifying my macerator hose connection lower (they did this for a while on some coaches in 2017 and then stopped and went back to routing it through the storage compartment.
Attached is the modification I made and since then have no trouble allowing gravity drain of the gray tank. The cam-lock fittings also make connect disconnect very easy. Once I acquired the parts the mode only took about 1 hour to accomplish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010001.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	243001   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010002.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	281.9 KB
ID:	243002  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010003.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	306.3 KB
ID:	243003  
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balladeer View Post
When we first had our Anthem I noticed that the gray tank would not gravity drain through the macerator hose until the tank was about 75-80% full. Came to realize that with the hose running from the macerator up through the little side door and then down to the discharge the flow would not happen until the water level of the gray tank was even with the edge of the hose at the door. Once it started it would empty until the siphon action was broken.
I eliminated this by modifying my macerator hose connection lower (they did this for a while on some coaches in 2017 and then stopped and went back to routing it through the storage compartment.
Attached is the modification I made and since then have no trouble allowing gravity drain of the gray tank. The cam-lock fittings also make connect disconnect very easy. Once I acquired the parts the mode only took about 1 hour to accomplish.

I wonder why they stopped doing it with the pipe below the wet bay? Were they worried about it getting ripped off from road hazards?
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsour View Post
Yup. This is exactly what I do.
Old 04-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Initially I had issues with the gray tank draining without the pump until I worked with it a while. The light bulb went on after a few times initially arriving and setting up at a new location. What I found is the connecting an empty hose (Macerator hose) to the park’s sewer was not enough. First, the water in the gray tank had to travel up hill (hum) and then back down hill through the hose. Laws of hydrodynamics is against you at this point.

The solution was to let the gray tank fill a bit after arriving and connecting the hose. Then I’d go out, switch the pump on, but not let the tank fully empty. That’s it. Draining work fine albeit slowly due to the pump’s small internal pass through pipe. My take is the small amount of siphoning pressure with water in the hose is all that was needed.
Tom78418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 02:20 PM   #14

Gregg is the winner.. compare the top of the holding tanks with the pipe elevation inside the small macerator hose door.

You aren’t going to be able to drain much via gravity until you’re quite full.

The below deck drain is the solution, works great.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, gray tank, tank