Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2017, 05:38 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Greasing the chassis !

Today I spent 5 hours under my 2017 Anthem greasing,repairing and inspecting. With 12,000 miles on the coach this was the second oil change and the third grease job. The first two grease jobs were done at service centers where the coach was in for other reasons. I was dismayed to find a number of the grease zerks untouched. And as you would guess they were ones that were difficult to see and get to. Several of the front axle zerks required a clamp and hose to be moved to get to them. I am concerned that these techs did not use the Spartan diagram and did not seem to have the motivation to do the job right. Lubrication is a serious matter with these RV's and I am glad I was able to fix this before it became a problem.
Les1951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
Community Administrator

I always brought my diagram with me and gave it to the tech to use.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
I always brought my diagram with me and gave it to the tech to use.
Would you share your diagram? Great idea to have one to compare to what the service tech is referencing.

Sorry.... My bad.... I posted and didn't notice that you are not an Entegra owner. Still a great idea!
2004 Jeep Liberty Limited - FMCA #343990
BHutting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #4

I had a heck of a time getting the zerks to take grease. Big Mike from Spartan suggested using a needle fitting on the grease gun so I bought one. I'm planing on giving that a try next week before the next long trip
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:44 PM   #5

Unfortunately what you are experiencing is not unusual. That is why I try to do everything myself. In my past life, I had the opportunity to review all service reports for the 67 trucks and cars in my division. The stories my guys told me about the screwups "Mr. Goodwrench" made in simple oil/grease jobs was appalling!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 06:51 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
If you want a good lube job, stay away from the Speedco shops! I have had to use them 4 times in the past 5 years because I could not find anyone else in the area I was traveling when a service was due. Each time I spoke with the shop manager and encouraged him to followup with the pit guy to assure all the fittings were lubed. They said they would, but each time I would crawl underneath the rig outside after they finished and found numerous missed fittings. The last one, they also left the oil fill cap off and it just happen to fall to the ground when I pulled outside the bay.
Speedco is just after quick money and get you out quick. Quality work means nothing to them. Letters to their home office went unanswered.
Jerry
2005 Country Coach Inspire Quad Slide w/C9-400 Kitty Kat, 2013 Honda CR-V, "RVing since 1968". Escapee #27953, FMCA #12697, Good Sam Life Mbr.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
To get the king pins to accept grease the front axle must be jacked up to accept grease.

Had a slight handling problem with our Anthem, it wandered a bit. As recommended had a dealer lube the chassis in Fresno on the way to Octoberfest. Wandering problem did not improve.

Took the Anthem to an alignment shop in San Diego in January and they checked alignment, it was fine. They did a front end lube and found the king pins to be dry, were not properly lubed by the dealer in Fresno. They said that to get the King pins to except grease then front end needed to be jacked up. After a proper lube of the king pins (with front end up) wandering problem is gone.
Ready2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Travel View Post
To get the king pins to accept grease the front axle must be jacked up to accept grease.

Had a slight handling problem with our Anthem, it wandered a bit. As recommended had a dealer lube the chassis in Fresno on the way to Octoberfest. Wandering problem did not improve.

Took the Anthem to an alignment shop in San Diego in January and they checked alignment, it was fine. They did a front end lube and found the king pins to be dry, were not properly lubed by the dealer in Fresno. They said that to get the King pins to except grease then front end needed to be jacked up. After a proper lube of the king pins (with front end up) wandering problem is gone.
Thanks I'll try that
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:13 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
If you want a good lube job, stay away from the Speedco shops! I have had to use them 4 times in the past 5 years because I could not find anyone else in the area I was traveling when a service was due. Each time I spoke with the shop manager and encouraged him to followup with the pit guy to assure all the fittings were lubed. They said they would, but each time I would crawl underneath the rig outside after they finished and found numerous missed fittings. The last one, they also left the oil fill cap off and it just happen to fall to the ground when I pulled outside the bay.
Speedco is just after quick money and get you out quick. Quality work means nothing to them. Letters to their home office went unanswered.
Jerry
When I went to Speedco a couple of years ago, I gave them the Spartan lube diagram and they ignored it. This is why I take the coach back to Spartan for its annual service at least every other year. I just don't trust most shops to lube all the fittings.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:50 AM   #10

Unfortunately I believe that the old saying "if you want it done right, do it yourself" is very applicable for chassis lubrication!
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:31 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
I lubed mine the other day and noticed 1/2 the fittings from my trip to Speedco were dry. To bad, I was hoping they would be my new easy source for a lube job, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. Still can't beat the price of oil and filters changes
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:40 AM   #12

You want it done right, do it yourself....

I grease every 5K....Period. That's going to be probably three times a year for me. Haven't had a problem at all with the front end, driveshaft, U-Joints, axles....Nothing.

As for the kingpins, changed the top zerks to right angle instead of straight up and I don't have to mess with clamps or hoses. As for front end off the ground for kingpins, never did it. I can see the old grease coming from the assembly, top and bottom.

Others state that you only need to do the U-Joints every 5K miles. I figure your under there and dirty what's a few more grease zerks. Grease is cheap! And I also get to look at the underside and make sure all is good. I carry work clothes on the rode since we full time so getting a little dirty is no big deal.

YMMV
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Gary May at Spartan's training Academy said it is necessary to keep the weight on the front end, do not left, in order for the thrust bearing to receive grease. You want the grease to exit above the thrust bearing rather than below. If it exits above you know the grease has traveled thru the thrust bearing. If you take the weight off chance are the grease will exit below the thrust bearing.
The thrust bearing carries the weight of the front end.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #14

You will find that leaving the weight on the tires, is in the axle manufactures literature also.

Lifting just gives the grease an easy way out. Sure it lubes the bushings, but leaves the old water contaminated grease in the thrust bearings that is carrying the weight.

Once they start to fail, the gap gets bigger on top, they clunk on bumps and then the axle and spindle get scored by the seized thrust bearing.

Seen it many times.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis