Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #1

Grey/Black tank dumping procedure

Can't believe I am actually going to ask this question, but I am not near my coach and know that I need to dump my tanks for the first time this weekend.
I noticed that there are 4 gate valves in the wet bay. 2 visible when I open the door and two more behind the removable panel. I assume all 4 have to be open to use the Macerator? And all 4 have to be closed during travel? The only time I'd have only two open, is if I am bypassing the Macerator. In that case, only the two behind the panel would be open with the stinky slinky? I want to make sure I have this correct before I make a mess.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You got me, but did you ever see the movie RV?
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 01:55 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
You got me, but did you ever see the movie RV?
Sorry, the devil made me do that.

I don't have that system so I really don't know.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
Can't believe I am actually going to ask this question, but I am not near my coach and know that I need to dump my tanks for the first time this weekend.
I noticed that there are 4 gate valves in the wet bay. 2 visible when I open the door and two more behind the removable panel. I assume all 4 have to be open to use the Macerator? And all 4 have to be closed during travel? The only time I'd have only two open, is if I am bypassing the Macerator. In that case, only the two behind the panel would be open with the stinky slinky? I want to make sure I have this correct before I make a mess.
What you've described is not how ours work but I notice you have a 2017 Insignia. I wonder if it's different.

In ours, you have two valves 'behind the door'. One is a sani-con bypass and the other is a direct feed from our sanicon. The two behind our door give us different options in which path we want the 'results-of-the-macerator' to travel.

The two outside the door determine which tank you are dealing with. If yours is like ours then there is never a time you want to have all four open.

Our process is this:
  • Open Bay Door
  • Remove Secondary Door
  • Hook up either the 3" pipe or our sanicon quick hose to the sewer
  • Open the valve 'behind' the secondary door that corresponds to which hose we have hooked up in step above (Note: only one valve behind secondary door would be open at a time)
  • Open the black tank valve
  • Turn on Macerator
  • When empty, turn off macerator and close black valve
  • Run a full tank of fresh water into our black tank
  • Open the black tank valve again
  • Turn on Macerator
  • When empty (again), close black tank valve
  • Open Gray Tank Valve
  • When empty, turn off macerator
  • Close all open valves
  • Disconnect hoses

If you experience any leaking, the best approach is call over the DW and have her take over. It's way better to have her yell at you than be covered in the poo.

Cheers!
chasingsixty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingsixty View Post
What you've described is not how ours work but I notice you have a 2017 Insignia. I wonder if it's different.

In ours, you have two valves 'behind the door'. One is a sani-con bypass and the other is a direct feed from our sanicon. The two behind our door give us different options in which path we want the 'results-of-the-macerator' to travel.

The two outside the door determine which tank you are dealing with. If yours is like ours then there is never a time you want to have all four open.

Our process is this:
  • Open Bay Door
  • Remove Secondary Door
  • Hook up either the 3" pipe or our sanicon quick hose to the sewer
  • Open the valve 'behind' the secondary door that corresponds to which hose we have hooked up in step above (Note: only one valve behind secondary door would be open at a time)
  • Open the black tank valve
  • Turn on Macerator
  • When empty, turn off macerator and close black valve
  • Run a full tank of fresh water into our black tank
  • Open the black tank valve again
  • Turn on Macerator
  • When empty (again), close black tank valve
  • Open Gray Tank Valve
  • When empty, turn off macerator
  • Close all open valves
  • Disconnect hoses

If you experience any leaking, the best approach is call over the DW and have her take over. It's way better to have her yell at you than be covered in the poo.

Cheers!
Thanks! I bet mine is the same, I just didn't describe it very well. I'll use that procedure too.

Yes, I have seen the movie "RV" and that is what I am hoping to avoid. However I recently replaced my Sanicon hose with the upgraded version but never tested it for leaks... Maybe I'll empty some Grey water first... Just in case.
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeezerViz View Post
Yes, I have seen the movie "RV" and that is what I am hoping to avoid. Maybe I'll empty some Grey water first... Just in case.
Good idea.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:45 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Grey/Black tank dumping procedure

Just a question here since we're taking slinky.
Is the connection for the slinky still below the floor level of the wet bay or have they moved it up into the wet bay on the new models?
Thanks
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
Just a question here since we're taking slinky.
Is the connection for the slinky still below the floor level of the wet bay or have they moved it up into the wet bay on the new models?
Thanks
Our 3" Connection labeled "Sani-Con Bypass" routes down and below the storage bay right behind the secondary door. You'd have to get down pretty low to attach to it under the bay. The connection appears to be higher than the aquahot exhaust so I'm pretty sure I could extend it to be more convenient without risk of it being hit on the ground.

I don't know what the common name is for the other valve hose? The skinnier hose with wrapping around it? Ours routes 'up hill' to a small compartment in front of the rear tire.

I get the impression the 3" slinky connection skips the macerator and allows for gravity evacuation?
chasingsixty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank