Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2018, 11:12 AM   #1

Hail

One could make the argument that this has turned out to be "The Maiden Voyage From Hell"...... If you have read my "Some things I have learned about my new 2019 Cornerstone" thread, you will be aware that I have experienced a complete failure of the VegaTouch software rendering 75% of the coach's systems inoperable or scrambled (Like one AC unit blowing cold and another unit in heat pump mode and blasting very hot air)(etc. etc.)(now corrected), a de-programming of the keyfobs and therefore an inability to start the coach or turn on the ignition as the RV park was threatening to pull my brand new Cornerstone out of the space with a tractor (my trusty Glock was close to being put into action), a failure of both the front and rear Girard awning (actually those were broken from the factory and never fixed before), and now............. a hail storm in Custer State Park.

Yesterday afternoon, our specific RV park (Game Lodge) was pounded with hail that varied from pea size to half-golfball size hail for about 35 minutes. Looked like snow had fallen in the winter. The slide toppers were covered with tree leaves, and the Honda CR-V has dents all over the horizontal surfaces. I needed to get out the ladder and remove the leaves from the slide toppers before I could retract the slides. That done, I was hoping that there was not major damage to the coach..... the fan covers and the shower sky-lights seemed to make it through along with the exhaust fans in the bathrooms. Took on a little water down through one of the return AC vents (still dont know what is going on with that)(in addition to hail, it really poured rain, but as I cleaned off the accumulation of leaves from the slide toppers, I noticed that I had serious hail damage to the fiberglass or crown piece of aluminum that makes the transition from the horizontal roof to the vertical walls, which looked like someone had worked on it with a ballpeen (sp?) hammer. There are dents all down both sides from front to rear caps. There may be dents all over the roof too but the roof is so covered with leaves that it is hard to tell.

I have never experienced a hail storm like this or real hail storm damage. I assume that I am going to be filing an insurance claim for the coach as I am assuming that it is going to have to spend some serious time in a paint and body chamber at some point. Could have been worse, but damage to both car and coach makes me not a happy camper.. Any advice or experience you can share greatly appreciated.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2018, 11:17 AM   #2

Man Gary I’m sorry to hear that.

I’d suggest seeing if a PDR guy can work some magic before going to a body shop. Depending on your issues, you may be able to avoid a claim on either, or both vehicles.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #3

So sorry to hear this, Gary! Would have been really scary driving in it! This will bum out a vacation real quick. Hang in there. This too, shall pass.
Anthem15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, sorry to hear of that storm. I have seen companies like this do magic when I lived in Denver with hail damage. Nice that they come to you. https://www.dentwizard.com/hail-damage-repair.aspx
Lots of take off companies, this is just and example.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:25 PM   #5

Gary, I am so sorry to hear about the hail storm and the damage to your coach and car.

I’m not well-informed as to how Entegra integrates the roof with the side walls of their coaches, but am going to make an educated guess that it’s similar to what Tiffin started doing when they had issues with the one-piece fiberglass roofs they were installing.

Attached is a photo I took in the Tiffin factory back in 2010. It shows a one-piece fiberglass roof, and if you look closely you can see the fiberglass makes a 90 degree turn on each side, which allowed the roof to connect up to the side walls of the motorhome. The problem that occurred was that heat and/or stress caused serious cracks in that area of the roofing material, which of course resulted in leaks anytime rain hit the coach. Tiffin ended up addressing the problem by cutting away the 90 degree fiberglass bends on both sides of the roof, then installing aluminum in its place. They referred to the aluminum pieces as “roof rails.”

I’m guessing Entegra may do something similar from the start. If so, what you may have is a fiberglass roof, fiberglass sidewalls, and aluminum “roof rails.” Assuming that’s the case, I’m thinking your roof will be fine and the damage will be limited to the roof rails. I hope that is the case.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiberglass Roof.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	211426  
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So sorry to hear about this damage to your car and new coach. I had a neighbor who ran a dent removal businesses and it was impressive to see how well he could make most of them disappear. He told me once he did a lot of hoods and trunk lids (and door dings) but he also said when a car roof was dented, insurance companies usually considered those cars a total loss.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
So sorry to hear about this damage to your car and new coach. I had a neighbor who ran a dent removal businesses and it was impressive to see how well he could make most of them disappear. He told me once he did a lot of hoods and trunk lids (and door dings) but he also said when a car roof was dented, insurance companies usually considered those cars a total loss.
I'd think an insurance company would assess that situation like any other; i.e., cost to repair versus value of the vehicle. If a $100,000 car had hail dings in the roof I wouldn't expect very many insurance companies to total it.

For what a real example may be worth, a previous car of Amy's got some significant hail damage to the hood, rear deck and roof. It wasn't a particularly expensive car, but the insurance company didn't hesitate to have the damage repaired.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
I'd think an insurance company would assess that situation like any other; i.e., cost to repair versus value of the vehicle. If a $100,000 car had hail dings in the roof I wouldn't expect very many insurance companies to total it.

For what a real example may be worth, a previous car of Amy's got some significant hail damage to the hood, rear deck and roof. It wasn't a particularly expensive car, but the insurance company didn't hesitate to have the damage repaired.
I hear you. It was several years ago when he told me that. I also think most of his work was on dealers lots sprucing up trade ins.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:20 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, as a suggestion....until the fiberglass of the roof can be inspected, if you do not carry a roll of Eternabond tape, I don't leave home without it a similar product is now marketed by Camco for roof repairs sold at most RV supply shops and I have seen it in some Walmarts in the RV section. Lowe's and Home Depot should also have it. Any major dings with cracks can be taped and not ruin the trip. Guaranteed, they won't leak.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 02:47 PM   #10

Thanks to all for commiserating and suggestions. Several have been very helpful. I have gone ahead and reported the claim to the car insurance company and am still trying to get some definitive idea of what that roof transition piece is made of. Entegra CS has not been particularly helpful in confirming what it is made of. They are guessing fiberglass or aluminum, which were my 2 guesses before I called them!! Thanks.

Also concerned about the cooling fins on roof air conditioners. Although the plastic shrouds appear OK, the aluminum fins may well be smashed down inside the louvered holes in the shrouds. Thanks for info already and more suggestions helpful. I don’t have eternabond but have Dicor if I develop leaks.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #11

Gary

Jeez, what a trip. I thought I had it bad with never ending Vega Touch problems and many other lesser issues that I was able to resolve with help from various vendors. Now my lane change sensors are acting up. Check the seal both front and back, Two of mine were full of water and I'm informed that once wet they need to be replaced. Middlebury can do that next June when we go for our AIR or PDI or what ever it's called. I'm tired of wrenching on this coach. Sorry for your issues. I'm sure you'll work through them.
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #12

Don't worry about the car. My 2014 Silverado got hail damage on every panel including the roof. I asked the USAA adjuster that came out and looked at the truck who to take it to.
The place I took it to did a great job. It was all PDR. $4100. Only cost me my $100 deductable.
I can't speak for the moho though.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
For many years we thought hail was fun to watch, but after we had to replace the roof on our S&B, not so much. Insurance covered it except for the deductible but of course the premiums have gone up.

If it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all.

Have you talked to any dealers? I would imagine they would know how to deal with this kind of damage if they are full service. I had some significant damage handled by Land Yachts in Jupiter, FL and there was no way to tell there had ever been anything. (I know that isn't remotely useful from a location point of view, but just to give an example.) A good body shop has probably seen it all.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:41 PM   #14

Oh hail naw... seams like when trouble comes there is no relief, I hope things get better soon. I like the new tech in the 2019 but it also scares me.
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote