Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #1

Hard question to ask but.....I am asking

I'm really sorry for asking this but I can't stop wondering how much it cost the people that trade coaches every year or two. We have a "classic" 2014 Aspire and we love it but the new Aspire has everything we would ever want and the Anthem is even better. The Cornerstone is great but like Jets I don't even look. The A36 will have to do. Until we purchased this coach we always bought used. We started in a 1976 Midas Mini with a Ralph generator! Our last coach only had 3000 miles on it when we purchased it. Three years old and I'm guessing the original owners lost a hundred grand. When we bought the Aspire we assumed it would be our last coach. Part of that reason is because it is by far the nicest coach we have owned (we owned six coaches starting in 1982 prior to the Aspire) but the other "main" reason is because I assumed we would lose way too much money to upgrade. I understand that there are lots of people on this forum with big money and we are not poor, hell we paid cash for the Aspire but I work too hard for my money to lose what I "assume" we would lose if we traded. I don't expect anyone to tell me what they lost on a coach but can we get in a ballpark? Maybe it's not as bad as I'm thinking it is. If this is way out of line I'm sorry and if no one wants to answer I understand completely.

Doug
AspireDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 12:57 PM   #2

I'm a lot like you we can afford whatever we want but I hate wasting money. Maybe that's why we can afford it. There are too many variables to know how much you would lose, like what kind of deal you got when you bought yours, how well you maintain it, the demand for that Coach, selling private, consignment, or trade in, all factor into what you may lose. I think that depreciation is way overstated especially by those who buy used. We really like our dealer and have stopped in to see him when in the area(he's 80 miles away) just to look at new models, talk to him ect. We looked at some diesel models, and he offered us what we originally paid for ours, and a 28% discount on the new diesels. We would still lose the tax and license, but if you listen to some people you will lose "tens of thousands" just off the sales price. We aren't interested in getting another one right now as we love ours, but I found that interesting. So I guess the only answer is to go out and test the waters, as that will be the real world figures rather than the guesses and advice you may get here.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Doug, it is as bad as you think! The numbers are pretty straightforward. New coaches are 25-32% off. Go to RV trader and see what they are asking, from dealers, for your year Aspire. Less that number by say 20-25% and you are in the ball park of what it would cost.
The reality is as you get older you realize either you are going to spend it or your kids will. Which one would you prefer?
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Gary well said, its like flying the redeye coach so our kids can fly 1st class.
More-Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireDoug View Post
I'm really sorry for asking this but I can't stop wondering how much it cost the people that trade coaches every year or two. We have a "classic" 2014 Aspire and we love it but the new Aspire has everything we would ever want and the Anthem is even better. The Cornerstone is great but like Jets I don't even look. The A36 will have to do. Until we purchased this coach we always bought used. We started in a 1976 Midas Mini with a Ralph generator! Our last coach only had 3000 miles on it when we purchased it. Three years old and I'm guessing the original owners lost a hundred grand. When we bought the Aspire we assumed it would be our last coach. Part of that reason is because it is by far the nicest coach we have owned (we owned six coaches starting in 1982 prior to the Aspire) but the other "main" reason is because I assumed we would lose way too much money to upgrade. I understand that there are lots of people on this forum with big money and we are not poor, hell we paid cash for the Aspire but I work too hard for my money to lose what I "assume" we would lose if we traded. I don't expect anyone to tell me what they lost on a coach but can we get in a ballpark? Maybe it's not as bad as I'm thinking it is. If this is way out of line I'm sorry and if no one wants to answer I understand completely.

Doug
Doug, it's hard to answer a question like this, but if you'll call Angie Morrell or Brett Davis at NIRVC they will be able to answer you. You will not find a more honest and straight forward dealer in the country. Noel
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:23 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
There is another option to "trading in". Sell it yourself while you are waiting for the new coach to be delivered. I had no problem selling my last "trade in" for $15,000 over dealer offered trade in value. That made my total discount on the Anthem 36.4% That was on a 12 year old TS that I could have sold a truck load of them. I had a bidding war at the end.

Another example, I just bought a new toad, dealer offer $14,000 for the Tacoma on trade in. I sold it today for $20,000, sight unseen on RVonline in two weeks. The buyer is having it shipped to Redmond OR. I enjoy selling my "trade ins" and cutting the cost of a new purchase by as much as 20%. as was the case with the new truck.

Like you, I am not full time, don't need the money up front and I worked to many hours in my life to give the profit to a dealer that is so easy to put in my bank account with very little effort. Just my method of cutting costs.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:37 PM   #7

I will attempt to answer your question,,,,somewhat more concretely.

It will cost you between 6000 -10000 Norwex Bug towels!
CoreyinWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:48 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Keep in mind, in Texas, you don't pay sales tax in your trade-in value. If they give you $250,000 for your trade you don't pay just over $20,000 in tax that you do if you sell it outright.

Vance & Robin
Dexter and Winston - Old English Sheepdog Security Service
2014 Entegra Anthem 42DEQ
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:39 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
Keep in mind, in Texas, you don't pay sales tax in your trade-in value. If they give you $250,000 for your trade you don't pay just over $20,000 in tax that you do if you sell it outright.

Vance & Robin
Dexter and Winston - Old English Sheepdog Security Service
2014 Entegra Anthem 42DEQ
Same thing in FL, but I was able to pay the 6% sales tax on the Anthem, a 100% IRS write off, and have enough left over for a few tanks of diesel. Thanks to my CPA the sales tax write off was enough to put us in the 0% tax bracket that year. Check with your CPA first, but a large large savings for us.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:29 PM   #10

There is an intangible for the joy of buying new that differs from person-to-person. Celebrate diversity.
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:28 PM   #11

If I thought I could trade for 6 to 8 grand I would be all over it. If I remember the list was $370,000.00 on the 2014 Aspire and I got 29 or 30% off. The 2017 is 420,000.00

Chuck I know what you mean. I just bought the DW a new Platinum Explorer. They tried to give me $15,500.00 for the 2013 Cadillac. I got 21,000.00 for it. I also bought the new car at another dealer because they insulted my intelligence.
Old 05-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #12

A potential guideline, from my experiences and observation -

If you trade within 3 to 4 years, you'll lose between 20 and 30 percent of what you paid. Longer will mean more.

YMMV
Old 05-27-2016, 08:10 PM   #13

Hard question to ask but.....I am asking

So I can see people that trade every year or two spending 40 to 50k per trade. Not counting taxes but with the higher priced newer coaches and what you lose on the trade. That's kind of what I thought. WOW
Old 05-27-2016, 09:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspireDoug View Post
So I can see people that trade every year or two spending 40 to 50k per trade. Not counting taxes but with the higher priced newer coaches and what you lose on the trade. That's kind of what I thought. WOW

I think you're on the low side by what I've been told !

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote