Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2016, 10:48 PM   #15

Have the K2 chassis on our Zephyr. 3 yrs. ago at "Char-Lot", had an all wheel alignment, Koni shocks put on, -- no change in play in steering wheel. Still 1.5 to 2" play in the steering wheel. Said they couldn't do any better than that. I didn't feel much difference in the replacement shocks. Fortunately, I grew up on a farm and drove some old grain trucks with really sloppy steering. After 7 years driving the Zephyr, just got use to it!!
Zephyr08Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2016, 09:16 AM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I was at the RVIA Trade Show in Louisville this week and met with Spartan because of complaints from our customers. The rep said they consider anything within 2" to be within acceptable limits.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:39 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
I was at the RVIA Trade Show in Louisville this week and met with Spartan because of complaints from our customers. The rep said they consider anything within 2" to be within acceptable limits.
They might consider it "acceptable" but I won't! Let them drive one like that for 8 hours. If they told me that when I was shopping for a MH, I would walk so fast it wouldn't be funny. From my experience and talk like that...another reason I would never order a MH again or at least pay for it until I was satisfied with the delivery and steering of the coach. There is no way I would go through what I have with my steering for 2 years when I know it is correctable.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:52 PM   #18

I had the Safety T Steer put on this week & drove it to test & most of the Loose motion seamed to b gone. It was very windy but definitely better driving, will test this week & pass along results.
raceday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:48 AM   #19

I think I read that on the 2017 Anthems they went from 46 mm front shocks to 60 mm. Are these shocks still Bilstein, or did they change to Koni?

If they are still Bilstein, I wonder how they compare to the Koni shocks that everyone reccomends.
Tall Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:14 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tex View Post
I think I read that on the 2017 Anthems they went from 46 mm front shocks to 60 mm. Are these shocks still Bilstein, or did they change to Koni?

If they are still Bilstein, I wonder how they compare to the Koni shocks that everyone reccomends.

I would love to hear from somebody who owned a previous year that could compare this
Old 12-04-2016, 06:30 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyE_ View Post
I would love to hear from somebody who owned a previous year that could compare this
X2 The new large shocks are still Bilsteins. I looked at them while I was at Entegra and they are much larger. I have been waiting for a new 17 owner to post and say how they ride. Is the harsh bang gone when going over bridge joints or do they still have the wandering problem some of the Classics had?
Old 12-04-2016, 06:57 AM   #22

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
X2 The new large shocks are still Bilsteins. I looked at them while I was at Entegra and they are much larger. I have been waiting for a new 17 owner to post and say how they ride. Is the harsh bang gone when going over bridge joints?
Without having a previous year coach to compare it to it's hard to give more than a subjective answer, but here goes. Neither my wife or I have detected any noticeable bang when going over bridge joints. We like the ride!
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:02 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
That is great news for new owners Bill. It sounds like they Classics were under shocked for the front end weight.
Old 12-04-2016, 07:52 AM   #24

One of the members, Craig, I believe is his name from France had an issue with his Anthem. After 10 months and 7 garages, Spartan finally solved the issue.

He had made some videos of it on his video page.
FireEater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:15 AM   #25

Bell crank

Hello,
I had the same issues, (2014 Anthem) could not keep it between the lines.
Spartan sent a new bell crank, I had it installed and had a 3 axle alignment done. 85% better still to much steering but I can keep it under control.
nella1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #26

Where shocks come into play on straight road wandering problems is if the suspension geometry allows for bump steer. Bump steer happens when as a result of suspension movement, the steering links pull on the uprights and cause the tires to toe out or in excessively, creating a steering input.

If the shocks are bad or the vehicle is under damped or under sprung, and a bump steer geometry exists, then you'll obviously get it every time the coach porpoises.

You can bandaid this with stiffer springs and shocks and thus limit suspension movement or change the time constant so that it's more correctable at the steering wheel, but when it gets right down to it the best solution is to correct the geometry problem, usually by putting spacers between the tie rod end and the knuckle.

solid axle vehicles don't have bump steer, but they will have roll steer (which just means that to generate bump steer with a solid axle one side has to go up while the other goes down. You can see an animation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bump_steer

If this is play (or compliance) in the system, then one needs to get under the coach while it's running and have someone steer the vehicle while you put hands on the various pieces and look/feel for differential movement. Obviously this is dangerous from a "you might get run over" standpoint and from a "getting your hands cut off" standpoint. With the coach running you'll need something like an FRS radio to communicate with the driver because he won't be able to hear you give directions.

My neighbor and I did the method above to find out the culprit behind the steering vibration in his mini-van. turned out to be a bad rack, and the only way to tell was to have the tires on the ground, one hand around the shaft and another on the rack end, and then you could feel the play between the two. Was too subtle to feel with the wheels up in the air and no load.

Steering box slop ought to be obvious, but sometimes there are other things that come into play, like brackets that flex, etc. Don't overlook the pittman arm either.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:47 AM   #27

I put the new shocks on the front & really could not tell they were much difference, just a little better rebound. They did nothing for my steering.
raceday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spartan