Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2014, 03:25 PM   #1

Heads Up On Popping Noise

Finally found the problem, the torsion bar (rectangular in shape) has 12 bolts in it, 4 on front. Side. and 8 on rear, they we're loose, torqued them to 320 ft. lbs. per Spartan. Problem solved. This connects to the drive axle not the tag axle. Had this problem been ignored it would have eventually came loose tearing up the air bags etc. So guys beware if you hear the popping don't ignore it.
SonnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2014, 04:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the heads up Sonny
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I am a firm believer that any strange noise needs to be investigated. It also says a lot about having the 44 point inspection done. It was amazing the number of items Spartan discovered on my coach with only 2,600 miles on it. Thanks for sharing the solution and glad it's fixed.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyB View Post
Finally found the problem, the torsion bar (rectangular in shape) has 12 bolts in it, 4 on front. Side. and 8 on rear, they we're loose, torqued them to 320 ft. lbs. per Spartan. Problem solved. This connects to the drive axle not the tag axle. Had this problem been ignored it would have eventually came loose tearing up the air bags etc. So guys beware if you hear the popping don't ignore it.
What kind of popping noise? Mine is more of a "clunk". I have one on occasion in the front when I am turning at very low speed, like turning a corner. It doesn't do it every time. Had it checked out by a Spartan certified center and they said they tightened every nut they could find but they saw nothing wrong.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:20 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
What kind of popping noise? Mine is more of a "clunk". I have one on occasion in the front when I am turning at very low speed, like turning a corner. It doesn't do it every time. Had it checked out by a Spartan certified center and they said they tightened every nut they could find but they saw nothing wrong.

Don
That is the type of noise ball joints make when going out and on a turn. Has the front end been lubed? Fresh grease can quiet a lot of noises
Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post

Don

Don my noise was in the rear, it would pop when making either a right or left turn. Sorry I can 't. Help with the front end.
SonnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 PM   #7

Thanks, Sonny B, that's what I thought.

No, it is not the bearings. That's been checked.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:03 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the heads up Sony, on a few occasions I have heard a loud pop on the left side when turning on uneven elevation. I am going to look at my torsion bars tonight.
oneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:40 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
During slow turns over rough or sloping ground, there can be two entirely different reasons on Anthem. First it may be the bell cranks pooping. Or, second, there is something in the rear suspension (sorry forget, CRS) that can be popping. Remember, sound travels in the suspension, so what you hear during those turns could be front or back.

Now, having fought this battle....it takes a pretty well trained tech to ID which it is, and I've not heard of adding grease solving the problem. The Spartan folks chased it on my coach at Charlotte at the factory. They "shimmed" the bell cranks once after checking the torque marks on both front and rear. this stopped the popping for a while and it came back.

They suggested that this is not a stop driving issue with either the front or back; fix when you take to a highly qualified Spartan shop [emphasis on highly]. I'd discuss the issue with the Spartan CS folks if I had this problem and get their directions on what and where to go.

The other common popping sound I've heard was in the hydraulic lifts on the coach. Shifts in the coach seem to cause it, but the coach leveling doesn't change, so I don't know what is moving, but the RVOne tech that did my delivery suggested that the hydraulic fluid light be a little low. I didn't even know it was something you would check, but the reservoir is located in a panel behind the front passenger tire on Anthem and Cornerstone. I'd check with Entegra CS on this one as I haven't been behind the panel to check it myself and don't remember his instructions on what to check....but it is checkable and can allow for the popping.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:38 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Dave, If you have ever driven a coach with dry ball joints a lube job will stop the the ball joint "clunk" when making a turn. But that is just my personal experience. Just offered a suggestion.

I sold my TS with the front end having been totaled checked by Florida Spring and Axel. However the buyer has not been able to pass inspection in Canada because of ball joints and they were just inspected prior to the sale and all paper work given to the buyer.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Simply responding to actual experience with popping sounds during slow turns and Spartan's fix.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:22 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Understand, but relaying to akadeadeye what can be deemed OK by one person inspecting it, is not always going to be the final word as the buyer of my TS still cannot licenses it in Canada until he can get it to Spartan for repairs. No Spartan shops in his area of Canada.
Lots of thing can cause popping noises and you are correct, not all are caused by the same problem.