RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2013, 05:33 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Heated water supply hose

Have seem a number of water supply spigots with an electrical plug. We're about to head to the PNW. Is a heated water supply hose a worthwhile expense?

TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I can't answer the question, but I can tell you that if you want water in the morning when the temp is below 32, you'll be using internal water until it warms up. We disconnected when overnight was going to be below 32... left hose out and hose froze. I have seen long timers in Omaha with heated tape around their hose and didn't disconnect. They didn't have problems.

Some say leave a faucet running, but I didn't feel comfortable with that.

Had no problems with the basement as heater turned on delivered fine down to 24. Just hooked up next morning about 9 AM when the temp had come up. Easy to refill the water used from the fresh water supply overnight.

DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Depends upon if you are living in the RV in freezing weather.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We may be all right for this next trip but I think a heated hose is likely a good thing to have in our basement. Our first trip last year was March to West Texas, got up our first morning to a frozen hose.

I would rather hook up a heated hose than load lots of water on board.

We don't plan to camp in the cold much but grandkids in SW Idaho means we will have to once in a while!
Old 10-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Vance, we have traveled a lot in cold weather. We fill the fresh water tank, which is heated and leave the hose in the heated basement. When we need water, refill the tank with the warm hose from the basement. Unless parked in cold weather for a long perod of time, a heated hose normally isn't necessary. When it gets that cold we normally start heading home

We normally travel with at least a 1/2 tank of water. We have have had the misfortune of break downs that have left us for a few days at repair shops with electric only for hookups.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
I think we will be good thru Las Vegas, possibly an issue in Provo, likely an issue in Boise. For sure in Oregon.

We are VERY new at this but learning! Thanks to everyone for the help and advice!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:42 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Glad to help Vance. Karen and I can normally go about 5-7 days with showers every morning with a 100 gallons of water. Filling the tank during the warmest part of the day gets us by for another week. Nice that our new Anthem will have a hose reel in a heated compartment. That will sure make cold weather much easier.

As for traveling with a load of water....good idea to fill your tank, run off the tank only for 2 days and see how much water you use. Our break downs have always been on a Friday and we are stuck in a Cummins parking lot with electric only until Monday morning. We now carry at least 2 days of water when we travel.
2016 Colorado Z71 PU
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've used both strategies: run off the internal tank and fill it in the middle of the day, or set up a heated hose. The heated hose is certainly a lot more convenient.

On a related topic, last year we stayed at the Grand Canyon South rim in February. The spigot at our site was frozen solid. The office sent a maintenance guy over with, wait for it, an electric arc welder! He hooked one lead to the cast iron pipe at our spigot, the other end to the spigot in the adjacent campsite and fired the puppy up. Massive clouds of steam and no more frozen pipes! I'd never seen that done before but he assured me that so long as the plumbing is iron pipe it works just fine. I guess the moral of the story is that no heated hose or daytime refill strategy will help if the supply is already frozen.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #9

Yep the old welders trick has worked for us for years BUT now son has dome runs to the barns that are plastic--- oops, MIVH harder to thaw , welder no help!!
Old 10-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think it would be worth it. Takes a while to unthaw a stiff hose.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #11

Make your own...Pirot heated hoses are no good....

GENECOP is offline   Reply With Quote